noise at startup | FerrariChat

noise at startup

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by scorpion, May 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    My car has a grinding noise, sounds like a bearing when it is first started up. You can't hear it at idle but rev it up a little and it's fairly loud. My tensioner bearings and waterpump are new and the noise was present before I replaced them. I thought that was where the noise was coming from but it doesn't appear to be so. I'm going to check out the alternator bearings next weekend- although it seemed to spin ok when I did the belts. Also, the alternator light seems to stay on a bit long when I first start up - it is charging about 14 volts though. I removed the AC compressor when I replaced the belts/bearings so it also can't be that. Has anyone else had experienced a similar situation. The noise goes away fairly quickly - in a couple of minutes - depending on how cold the engine is. I also thought it could possibly be a heat shield vibrating but it still sounds more like a grinding noise?

2. tamf328

tamf328 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    are there idler tensioners on your car for the acc. belts?
    did you check them?
    I'm assuming the noise is coming from the side of the engine where the belts are.

3. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham
    Sometimes fitting new belts and tensioners causes the cam drive bearings to fail (quicker). This can cause the oil seal to leak because of the extra movement on the shaft, which in turn drops oil onto the alternator and gums up the regulator...

I hope it is not that because they are a bit of s*d to change.

4. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    My car has a single acc belt. The noise was there before changing the timing belts/tensioners. I'm don't know for sure where the noise is coming from - I suspect the right side but I tried to find it the other day - got out the old stethoscope and listened to everything I could reach from above the engine but didn't have time to pull the wheel and go at it from the side.

5. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Wild guess: look at the distributor rotor. When I replaced mine it was litterally chipping away the posts of the cap. I had to do a little carving. Thanks Lord Lucas...

It would make a noticable grinding noise and go away after 30 seconds. It took me months to figure out what it was; I finally was in the distributor and saw the damage.

Ken

6. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    I'll check that out. Thanks

7. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    It seems similar to a problem I had a while ago. Follow the link http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43663 to see more.
    After 5 months the car is still perfect. Randomically the noise is there, mainly after washing (for example htis morning...).
    If after in depth check everything is OK, do ont worry.
    Ciao
    Eugenio

8. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    One of my first thoughts was the cam drive bearings but I've had other bearing failures (not in my Ferrari) and in my very limited experience with them they got progressively louder and did not totally disappear after a couple of minutes. Has anyone experienced a bearing failure where the sound is intermittent? I hope it's just an anomaly, or a belt, or something of that nature that just sounds worse than it is.