Maserati Exhaust? | FerrariChat

Maserati Exhaust?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 99355F1, Apr 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 99355F1

99355F1 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    CG
    Well, what are option for upgrading exhaust on the GranSport? I have heard great things about TUBI, but I have also heard it's wayyy too loud. Then I hear about companies like Cargraphics, Capristo, and others.

So what would you suggest for a nice, good sounding, but not too loud (esp. at cruising highway speeds) exhaust? Or would you just keep the stock?

2. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I havent heard a tubi on the gran sport, but on the coupe it is not too loud.

I wish they had a more aggressive system, like the ngt. I would definetly have it installed.

At highway speeds, the tubi is hardly noticable.

3. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    The exhaust on the GS is already a Tubi. Tubi worked with Maserati to come up with the exhaust system.

4. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    FWIW, the stock exhaust gets louder over time....

After 10K miles, my Maserati Coupe with the original exhaust is halfway between a new car with stock exhaust, and a car equipped with a Tubi.

- Jon

5. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Thats probably true. The cats over time will hollow out and its will behave and sound like a straight thru.

6. pvapour

pvapour Rookie

Nov 19, 2004
  7. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    I don't think Capristo makes exhaust for Maserati's yet. A friend of mine wanted a high-pitched sound so I recommended Capristo, but he couldn't find it. He ended up getting Tubi, and he loves it. FX Performance in L.A. installed it for him and did a great job.

8. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    I pulled my resonators off and built a rear replacement system. Here's a link to a recording.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134872362&postcount=25

9. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    is it true u can get a tubi for a QP?

10. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    I would imagine so...

11. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I just called Ansa and their single pipe into two outlets part (7818, baffled) starts out at 2 1/4 inch diameter. What is the diameter of the Maserati exhaust pipe going into the factory rear muffler can?
    Here is how I think this would happen. My muffler shop cuts the pipe right before it goes into the rear stock muffler (repeat on the other side). Then, the muffler shop needs to fabricate a straight pipe that serves as a connection between the pipe and the newly aquired Ansa tips (a Y, 1 into 2 arrangement). But this pipe might need to be variable diameter. no?

12. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    Actually .. . no. There is no reason to cut anything. Just undo the clamp and the 2 hangars and take the resonator off. You have to take off the rear wheels and the inner fender well to get at the outboard resonator hanger. Easy to do but it takes a while. Then the shop will have to custom bend the pipe (I think it was 3 bends). Then they tack the tips in place so that they are straight and stick out the correct distance. Then they pull the assembly off and fully weld the tips to the pipe and re-install.
    If you want to re-install the original system just reverse the process and since nothing was cut the original fits as new.

13. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    what about the pipe diameter? The ansa tip is 2 1/4 inch, and I am assuming that the maser exhaust pipe is metric, so a possibly different size, no?
    I have seen folks bend pipe and it is pretty neat, but are the sizes close enough to weld at the junction, or did the shop use a variable diameter pipe (2 1/4 at one end and whatever is stock maser diameter at the other)?

Thank you in advance for your patience. You can probably tell that I want to do most of this myself...
    :)
    BTW, for the audience, each tip is only $56, so this should cost a lot less than a $3500 Tubi system.

14. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    :)
    BTW, for the audience, each tip is only $56, so this should cost a lot less than a $3500 Tubi system.[/QUOTE]

Your local exhaust guys can put a sizing adapter in the end of a piece of pipe and expand it by at least 1/4 inch, it's amazing so don't worry about the fit. I put the 3" ansa tips on mine and they fit perfectly. In total I'd say you'll spend about $250-$300 . . . and the great part is people will ask if it's a Tubi, or like the Maserati sales guy at Ferrari of Atlanta said "sounds more throaty, more aggressive than the Tubi system" . . .gotta luv it!

15. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Interesting... question: does it just sound better or is there a performance increase as well. I know for a fact that with the Tubi there was a smoother low gear change after I installed it.

16. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    Lung,
    After I put the system on I noticed better pull at the top RPM range maybe from about 6200 on up but nothing I could put my finger on in ease of shifting on the low end. I haven't driven another Maser in a while so I can't be real sure but the RPM seems to drop quicker between gears after the new system was installed.

Rick . . . .

17. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Hmmm... u should be able to tell a distinct improvement between 1st and 2nd gear and also in auto mode. BTW maybe I should have asked this question earlier...what year is your car? Coz there have been software upgrades in the later models i.e. 2003 onwards.

18. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    Lung,
    Mine's an '02 Spyder GT so it's all up to me as to how smooth or fast the 1st to 2nd gear change happens and AUTO is out of the question :) . I plan on getting my ECU re-mapped by EuroTek in a month or so. From what I hear it's like having your own sling shot. We'll see.

19. 99355F1

99355F1 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    CG
    I've got a question for you Maser guys out there, what exactly does the Skyhook do?

My father and I were looking at the [useless] things that were equipped with his [3 month old] Gransport yesterday. (He bought it off the floor, so he got park sensors, heated seats, and other stuff he wouldn't have chosen). We saw the Skyhook.

Why is Skyhoook $2500? What kind of functionality does it have? Is it like programmable?

Thanks in advance!

20. MaseratiGuy

MaseratiGuy Rookie

Jul 3, 2004
    Skyhook is the suspension, it stiffens it.

21. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    I think its more than that.

Its an active suspension system that reads how ur car reacts to the road condition and changes the suspension settings accordingly.

22. barbuckle

barbuckle Rookie

Aug 21, 2004
    If you really want to know about skyhook:-

The system uses high-speed integrated proportional valves on each shock. Using six electronic sensors to control the body and individual wheel reactions to bumps, the semi-active suspension improves roadholding as well as handling and ride comfort. Maserati claims the system reduces the variation on wheel loadings by up to 50 percent.

While the vehicle is in motion, the sensors supply all the information including braking and roadspeed signals which the ECU needs in order to produce optimum damping effort. The ECU then controls individual damping action to each wheel separately in accordance with parameters stored in the software. The proportional valve responds within milliseconds to the ECU signals by performing continuous adjustment of damping action. The optimum damping force is calculated for each wheel and is then delivered: by detecting, and responding to, changes in traction and pressure in any given driving situation, the system is able to generate precisely the right level of damping force for each situation.

23. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    i would actually argue it makes the ride softer - for the reasons set forth in barbuckle's post.

24. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    I would say it doesn't work.
    The suspension in the maser is f###ed up.
    A suspension should do what its name says, suspend.
    And anti roll bars should prevent the car from going into wheels at each corner.
    But i guess they just forgot that part.
    So you get sports and everything (including you) shivers for nothing, still way too much body roll, but put in normal, and the shivers are gone, but the body roll is even stronger.

25. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    And anyway, no such system can really work well, since they REACT to an already existing suspension compression or expansion, instead of preventing it.
    So they'll always be just that little bit too late.