How to buy a car from overseas? | FerrariChat

How to buy a car from overseas?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by alanhenson, May 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I need some help guys. I think some of you have probably done this so I am asking for your expert advice. I have found an SL65AMG for a very nice price. The guy says that he bought it in Dallas and had it shipped to Italy where he found out he couldn't have it registered. Kinda fishy. Anyway he says he wants to sell it back in the states. I told him I needed it checked by a Dealership in the states before purchase. He gave me the VIN and it checks out OK thru carfax. How do I find out if this guy is just trying to scam? How can I find out if it's been stolen? Can I trace his e-mail address? Thanks ahead of time fellas.

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Importing cars is very intricate Alan. If he is ok with selling it in the states, have him ship the car back to the states, so you can get a PPI done. Once done, you can pick up the car and transfer the money.

THat way you know what he is selling, instead of buying overseas without knowing.

I buy overseas, but with lots of contact over the years its not a problem. If you need further info or help pm/email me, and I will gladly see what I can do for you.

-Ryan

3. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If you send me the vin# I can have a friend of mine see if he can find anything on the car. My friend is the GM of a MB dealership.
    Jon

4. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Thanks Ryan. That's the way I set it up.

5. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    You have a PM from me. Thanks.

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

It does seem like a story. Hopefully it checks out OK. For the money transaction maybe you could go through a credit union or some way so that they are on the hook for it. Then just pay it off once the coast is clear. Let us know how it works out.