Cirrus aircraft | FerrariChat

Cirrus aircraft

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by EndymionMKII, May 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EndymionMKII

EndymionMKII Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2004
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    James
    Had a chance to look at a few today (didn't get a chance to ride in one). But, they look like fun little aircraft plus you got to love the glass cockpit. Any one here have a chance to fly one?

2. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I am in pilot ground school deal, so yea. I have seen a few cirrus look nice. I have a friend who owned one. Not sure which model, next time i see him ill ask. nice planes, they last for a long time. Good to know there are other aviation type people on the board

3. osuav8r

osuav8r Karting

Feb 16, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Hey guys. Not sure what kind of flying you're into right now, but when I was a CFI in Oklahoma, Cirrus would have a factory rep that flew around and give free rides to CFI's to generate interest in the aircraft. It would come through there pretty frequently (at least once a month), which I thought was strange since it was a college town of about 50000 people. I wouldn't have thought there would have been a huge number of potential buyers in that area for a $300k plus plane. I never took advantage of the free ride, but I have shared the airspace with them a few times and I can tell you that the SR22 hauls booty for a piston single. I used to fly Aero Commanders and we would come in to the terminal area at about 175 kts and a Cirrus would give us a darn close race to the runway. Anyway, if you're a CFI, you could probably finagle a free ride. Just see if you can find out if they are coming somewhere close by. Happy flying.

4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I have about 4 hours worth of time towards my Private Pilot license, and 2 of it is in an SR-20. AWESOME! I thought the left-handed stick would be wierd, bu it was totally natural.

My buddy works for Lancair as an avionics engineer... those are sweet planes too!

5. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
  6. EndymionMKII

Aug 14, 2004
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    James
    Dino, what kind of ground school are you in PPL, or some of the more advanced ratings.

osuav8r, Nope not a CFI yet. After some delay I'm working on my commercial ticket.

Farmer, I'm very envious right now :(.

Too bad I don't have 250K for an airplane right now. Mabey once I win the powerball :D.

Damn being a poor professional pilot.

7. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I'vew got about 20 minutes in one as PIC. Didn't impress me. If I'm flying a single, I'll stick with the BeA36, much more stable, and about the same speed if the Bonanza has the 300HP motor. the glass cockpit is great, got one in the Baron, all Garmin stuff.

Art

8. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I was very lucky to have a friend in college whose dad was a CFII who had friends with all sorts of airplanes. They would let him instruct in their planes just so the powerplants would get some flight time.

The most fun, though, was his own Breezy experimental class plane.... it was like floating on air, cause your seat basically just sat on a single truss, with nothing surrounding you!

9. osuav8r

osuav8r Karting

Feb 16, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Which airport do you fly out of in Omaha? Eppley? Council bluffs. I flew Commanders out of Eppley up until 3 months ago or so. I flew out of Tac Air and as I remember they had a flight school upstairs. Just curious.

10. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Right now its for a Private Pilot Liscence. I take the ground school here: http://www.calgaryflyingclub.com/

If I can make it into a career or what ever I'll try and go for a comercial pilots liscence. I like flying, but it is seriously expensive. David Clarks are like 500 dollars here in Canada. I have a headset, they are light speeds, nice feel to them. Ill buy david clarks at some point later on I guess. Plus the chicks seem to dig Ray Ban Aviators.

11. EndymionMKII

Aug 14, 2004
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    James
    Eppley/Tac air is too expenisve. Nice planes but, they cost way too much cash. I fly out at Millard.

12. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    went for a round of flying lessons today. not too windy, and the run way was clear for the first time in a while. felt great to be in the air again.

13. EndymionMKII

Aug 14, 2004
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    James
    I know how you feel I was stuck on the ground for two months at one point. Not cool, not cool at all.

14. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    celing is 8000 today, ok for flying. :D

15. cirrusdriver

cirrusdriver Rookie

Nov 29, 2004
    #15 cirrusdriver, May 9, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Nice plane, too bad you sold it. If you dont mind me asking, why are you taking a break from flying?

17. doma

doma Karting

Dec 1, 2004
    Belmont, CA
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    #17 doma, May 11, 2005
    Hi. We rented a Cirrus SR-22 and flew around the California Bay Area, to Tahoe & back, & down to Big Sur and back. Had a nice time. Was a great aircraft IMHO.

I'm mainly on a Lotus board these days and did my write up on our fun with the Cirrus over there (plus pics). My writeup:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11217

I've attached two pics from my writeup. One is of the glass cockpit and the other is of the BigSur area from the air.

(edit: in the cockpit photo you can see the computer map of the lake tahoe area as we threaded the mountain tops on our way in. Grabbed lunch then flew out across the lake on our way home)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    nice pics doma, thanks for sharing that.

19. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #19 isellpower, May 11, 2005

Being from Omaha, does this view look familiar from the drives seat of your MR2? J/K

Nice ariel shots fellas.

20. EndymionMKII

Aug 14, 2004
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    James
    ROFL, yeah that viper view does look familiar. Although I like to race Boxters and Z3s. Although I don't like to street race that often.

I will also admit that yes my MR2 Turbo is stock and yes it is slow (only in a straight line) :p.

21. AKS

AKS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Sin City
    That glass cockpit is sweet. Alot snazzier then the 152's and 172's my pops used to take me up in.

22. EndymionMKII

Aug 14, 2004
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    James
    Yeah, very cool airplane. Very sporty looking, alot better than the Pipers that I fly in.

23. MikeC

MikeC Rookie

Nov 19, 2003
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Mike C
    There's a writeup about the Cirrus safety / crash record in the new Flying magazine that's worth reading. It's not online at Flying's site yet or I'd post the link.

24. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Not meaning to hijack the thread, but for you Nebraskans...

I live in Amarillo, TX, and we drive to Lincoln to see several Nebraska football games each year. 696 miles driving. Yet only 400 miles from Amarillo to Lincoln "as the crow flies". I have checked into air charters here in Amarillo, and they are stupid expensive. For a fee, would someone on the Omaha/Lincoln area be interested in flying us from AMA to Lincoln, then back again? We might do this 2 or 3 times in the fall.

Just curious

25. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    #25 PerryJ, May 19, 2005
    I think they are WAY over priced for what you get, give me A36 anyday over one. or an 80's model baron 58p ! but then I'm just a beech fan, (I have time in everything from the bonanzas to beechjets, I still love the king air 200, i have a ton of time in them)

But what I REALLY want is a Lake Renegade !!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta love an airplane you can land in water more than once :)