lunch at Larry's, Wed, May 19, 11.30 am | FerrariChat

lunch at Larry's, Wed, May 19, 11.30 am

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by lukek, May 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    A steak for $6? A salmon with polenta and salad for $7? Yes, indeed. Come on and all, for some car talk, marketing coed ogling, or for some good, cheap eating. After the last experience with cat liver at Luceti's, we shall try a corporate cafeteria at Oracle Corp. There are actually 6, catering to different tastes, inclufing Japaneese, Indian, and Mexican. No need to get badged in. All 6 cafeterias as open to the public. We will do the 300 cafeteria, as it has the most variety, speedy service, and an espresso/dessert bar.
    Logistics:

Wed, May 19th, 11.30. Yes, a little early, but later you will see it fill up. We can eat outside if the weather is nice.
    Take Ralston/Marine World Pkwy off 101, head for Marine World Pkway.
    Take the first left possible at a light, onto Oracle Parkway. After the first stop sign let the right lane dump you into the 220 garage. You might have to drive to the 4th or 5th level, so allow some extra time. Buildings hug the lake and go from 100, to 200, to 300, etc. You want 300 which is the tallest gree tower. Cafe is off the lobby, to the left of the security guard podium.
    See you there.

PS. I have recently seen a Modena in Larry's usual spot. I have tasked my boss (who reports to him) to inquire. I heard that he swore them off after 2 caught fire (was one a 355?). I usually see a Bentley Continental GT, or a silver Merc in the space, and there was a rumor that he drove his MCLaren to work one day, but for two days in the row....it was a regular 360 Modena, not even a CS...

2. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I should be able to make it, sounds like a great choice...beats cat's liver any day of the week.

Gary

3. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I should be around.

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Car that caught fire is a testa rossa.

See you then. Sorry I missed lunch today.

--Dan

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Ok, for those of you free on wednesday nights, Luke and I were thinking we'd a double-ferrari-duty meet.

Lunch @ Larry's, and then cigars in LG around 6.30pm at Hemingway to catch a few twinkles of sunlight.

I've got scotch...

--Dan

6. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    If you can move the lunch to noon, then I would only be 15 minutes late...

I see a tour of Silicon Valley cafeterias in our future? I dont' think Netapp can compete with Oracle, though...

-steve

7. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I think we might linger, so come whenever you can. We will still start at 11.30 to avoid the rush.

Cigars in the eve are a great idea. Will people make it to Los Gatos for 6.30? BBC in Menlo is closer and they also allow cigars on the patio, as does cafe barrone. Either way....

8. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Lunch at Larry's; sounds good to me!

9. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I got my 1 on 1 today. I shall find out more (or get fired for not minding my own business)
    :)

10. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Didn't Tom Siebel say in the course of his tenure he was fired something on the order of 300 times? :D Good luck with that!

BTW - i was at hemingway last night - they're open til 11 and there's food right there (it's downtown LG). I rather enjoyed the environment, but if keeping it further north makes more sense (i'm probably farthest), then Matt had a good suggestion too (cuban restaurant with lounge?)

--Dan

11. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Dude. In LG and you didn't call? Date of the week and I were at Pedro's in LG and then went to The Bank in Saratoga...WTF no call! I could have bailed on her for a smoke!!

12. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    wait, you leave the house? w/o your helmet?

naaaaah.

--Dan

13. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    A cuban restaurant? Pork sandwiches snd plantains? A lounge?
    Where is it?

14. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    PA? Ask Matt...

--Dan

15. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    we gonna hit this on teh 18th(wed) or the 19th?(thurs)

16. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    i am teh suck. i'll be in NYC. need to head out, taking a redeye tomorrow. gone for a few weeks (nyc, toronto, atlanta). be back at the end of the month. have fun kids.

--Dan

17. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Don't be shy, y'all.....!
    This is not a club, come out and introduce yourself. Passion for things automotive is the only thing required. The only negative is that the cafeteria does not serve booze.

18. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Luke -

I'm assuming this is in fact on Wednesday, not Thursday?

Gary

19. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Wed !

20. ChrisK

ChrisK Rookie

Aug 3, 2004
    Nor Cal
    The Cuban restaurant in question is La Bodeguita del Medio, on California Avenue in Palo Alto - just a few blocks north of Page Mill/Oregon Expwy. Great place, killer mojitos, cigar lounge in the back.

21. WSH

WSH Rookie

Apr 18, 2005
    Hey luke, where do the oracle guys park their more interesting cars? Went through a couple of the oracle garages the other day and gotta say it was slim/no stuff for car sightings....thought I was at a mall out in WalnutCreek or somewhere Hope orcl's not getting so corporate that even the long-time employees are afraid to drive in the toys to the office on a nice day. Looking forward to meeting you guys at the lunch though....thanks for setting it up.

22. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I know 6 guys with Ferraris at HQ. In general, engineers are rational beasts and buy Camrys and Accords after reading up on the Consumer Reports and such. There are exceptions....One guy, for example, in charge of the Grid / Rapid Clusters initiative, owns a 550 (SF show car), a yellow 355, a Testarossa, a 914 with a 968 engine in it, and a 911 C4S. He mostly drives the Ferraris to work.
    If I do not forget will try to pull my FerrariChat shirt out of the laundry as the identifying sign.

thx
    luke

23. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Luke -

I'm not going to be able to make it tomorrow, and I was really looking forward to it. You'll have to do one again soon. I got called today to ferry a 757 to Munich tomorrow.

You guys have fun,

Gary

24. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I've gotta bail too guys, damn granite guy can only make this wed :( :( :(

Hope it goes really well and we do it again soon! (I'm down for the indian cafe too.)

25. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    I"m going to have to bail as well - too much going on at work at the moment.

Would there by any interest in meeting someplace closer to the south bay sometime, like Mango Cafe in Palo Alto, or the Cuban plan Chris K identified? Belmont and above is a ways from work and it's often hard to take such long lunch breaks when you factor in almost an hour of drive time...

-steve