a friend in need... | FerrariChat

a friend in need...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by smg2, May 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    my wife has three girlfriends who are all pregnant and due around the same two weeks, including my wife, it'll be our second. one of her girlfriends was just addmitted on friday to the hospital with preeclamsia BP of 180/115. they induced labor on friday and as of last night no baby yet. she is around 33-34 wks along so the baby is definatly a premie. they have her on steroid shots and mag to avoid sezuires (sp?) at this point. we want to help out as best as we can but i have never had anyfriends or have known anyone to go through this.

i'm hoping the collective here as had some experience and maybe some pointers on what to do. ofcourse thier familiy is here and helping but the mood is one of shock and trepidation. apperantly the morbidity is high in these cases. the status as of last night was ok but you never know. we have'nt been to the hospital yet due to colds, i'm not going to add more problems.

in anycase my familiy wants to help as best as we can but not get into anyones way. i know this is a play it as it goes situation, so hoping for the best what needs will they have with a premie?

thanks, i'll keep you all posted.
    scott

2. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I wish you the best mate, our daughter Andrea was 7 weeks prem, there was no need for any special treatment, apart from the treatment for jaundice, she weighed only 4ib 11ounces, now 15 years later she is a normal adolecent, with a rather big mouth LOL, so it is just a waiting and hoping for the best situation, so keep us updated and we wish you all the best.

Steve.

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    This condition is very dangerous for the baby. If your a religious person, pray for them. If all comes out ok then a premie is something most good hospitals can handle and will probably have no long term effects. Does this hospital have a N.I.C.U.?

I hope everything goes ok.

Also FYI, I'm not a doc. but I did date a NICU nurse years ago.

4. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    haven't heard anything new yet. yes the hospital has a nicu, thankfully.

the wait continues.....

5. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Sorry guys but what is an NICU????

6. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Neo-Natal Intensive Care Unit

7. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Thanks mate, in the Uk it is known as the ICU intensive care unit,

8. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Yes, in the US it is an ICU for adults and children.

A N.....I.C.U is just for babies in distress. Note- Not all premies need a N.I.C.U.

9. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    PM me your number. I know a very well respected Neonatalogist at Children's / UCSF (considered top NICU). I can put you in touch with her if you like.

--Dan

10. el Carnicero

el Carnicero Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2005
    West of Laramie
    Pray. I will too.

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    mother and baby are doing better. baby stella was born late sunday night at 4lbs 8oz and 17". she was delivered via ceserian and is breathing on her own. mom is still being monitered for high blood pressure, according to dad the doctors say mom ending up having a amniotic fluid embolism. this should have killed her and the child but by the grace of god she survied along with her little girl. mom still isn't out of the woods yet but is expected to go home this week/weekend.

i want to thank all those for their support,
    thankyou.

12. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Great News Scott!!!!

Thanks for brightening my day......

13. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Keep faith. Pray, and appreciate evey moment. My first son Nicholas was early and was 4lbs. My 2nd son,Alexander was the doozy. 2 months early, 2lbs at birth, and went down to 1lb 13oz before he put on any weight. stayed in the Hosp. 2 months before he came home and even then he was only 4lbs. The Docs said he was still every once in a while stopping breathing. I couuldn't believe they were sending him home. I watched over him as he slept for months. Got very little sleep while I was working a rotating shift at work every week. He is now 8 and doing well. Turning into a real fireball with alot of attitude. Nick is 10 and doing great as well.

14. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Amazing........... and this was eight years ago.

15. collette 512bbi

collette 512bbi Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Collette
    Over here the unit which looks after prem babies is called a special care baby unit. (S.C.B.U).