360 dipstick dry - normal or uh oh? | FerrariChat

360 dipstick dry - normal or uh oh?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jamie140, May 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Insisted on oil change from dealer when I bought my '02 360 Spider yesterday. Noticed a slight ticking sound today, checked oil, car cold and stopped, dipstick was dry. Trouble?

Many TIA. Jamie.

2. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    You have to check the oil with the car warm a JUST after the engine is shut off.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Read the owners manual before driving. It's the top secret document in the glove box.

4. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    C'mon guys, cut me some slack, I read that secret document. My concern is the stick is completely dry and i don't want to start the thing if they screwed up the oil change...

5. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    The 360 is a dry-sump system. The stick will not show oil while cold / not running.

After engine is warm turn off the car wait 10min. and check it.

6. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Thanks man. My last car was dry sump but it had no dipstick so you could only check the oil when warm.

7. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    No prob.......... have fun

8. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Letsjet... you must not wait to check the oil level in dry sump cars.

Check them immediatly after shut down.

9. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Ok

I've checked at both times and I don't remeber seeing a diff. on the stick.

I just remember how hot the cap was...........that's why I wait a few. If it's a little low on the stick I adjust for time.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ferrarifixer is right and it is IMPORTANT. Read the manual.

11. yellow 355

yellow 355 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2005
    ocean city,nj
    Full Name:
    Ben Murphy
    RIFLEDRIVER- WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS SO ANGRY?

12. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    From Manual:

To check the oil level, leave the engine idle for a few minutes (Oil temp. above 158 F ), Then stop the engine and check the oil immediately.

My experience:

A few minutes, the measurement is the same.

NOTE : Don't touch the cap! Use a clean rag and prepare to get burned if your not careful. Have a place to put the cap down if needed.

Ok Rifle & Fixer?

13. Markie1949

Markie1949 Karting

Apr 4, 2005
    Utah
    The big thing to look for if you aren't sure about the oil quant. is oil pressure. If you have good oil press. then you can run it until it's warm. You have to do that because as everyone has pointed out, thats the only time you can check most dry sump engines, right after shutdown. The oil tank cap will be damn hot, use a rag.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I'm not angry but this topic has been talked to death and still no one reads the owners manual or heaven forbid use the search function. Phil and I have about 40 years combined on these cars and have spent many hours here debating with a few owners the correct way just to be ignored when all one really needs to do for the correct method is to look in the book.

15. yellow 355

yellow 355 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2005
    ocean city,nj
    Full Name:
    Ben Murphy
    RIFLEDRIVER got it. I can see where you might start to get frustrated. From one angry guy to another (haha)

16. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Maybe one day Ferrari will do what Porsche did about 30 years ago... and fit an oil level gauge.....

But then forums like these would lose about half their content......

17. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    That might be how it's done on your car but not on a 360. The manual says to check the oil level after it has reached operating temp with the engine idling.

fwiw, I'm always amazed and amused by presumed sports car enthusiasts who don't have enough interest in their cars to RTFM. Besides, Ferrari's OM is actually well written and even interesting...

18. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    think before you post it saves looking the embaresment [ i cant spell]

19. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I can't read it because it is printed in common sense.

:(

20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If you don't have the time to read your owners manual...read it while your sitting on the pot. That would be the best time. Just put it in your bathroom on top of the playboys and grab it each time you take a dump. This way you will read it many times, and you will get to know your car while evacuatig the chicken you had the night before!

21. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    When should vegetarians read it?:D

22. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    As pointed out, when you start the car pay attention to the oil pressure. If you see the pressure go up with in 1-2 seconds then you know there is some oil in the tank. If you do not see the pressure go up, SHUT THE CAR OFF! Now, even though you have oil pressure you can still be low on oil. I'm not sure for the 360, but my 348 holds 12 quarts (11.9 if you wanna get technical). You can be 3 quarts low and still have 9 quarts in the system. However being 3 quarts low will cause the stick to be dry. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the dealer didn't put the proper amount of oil back in.

23. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Check with oil warm to at least the first mark on the oil temp gauge, motor running. The other thing you don't want is for anyone to fill oil to the Max mark on the dipstick. Fill only 1/2 way between Min and Max.

A rubber computer mouse mat works great for removing hot dipsticks without getting hospitalized.

24. geekstreet

geekstreet Karting

Feb 7, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cam
    Well they got 1/2 way there with the 3.2 Mondi - it's got an oil-level sensor in the bottom of the dipstick. Problem is that it can register "low oil" whenever you park on a decent slope, but it only gets reset when you shutdown! So you startup, maybe don't notice the console "low-oil" light on until just moving off into traffic, then wonder "Am I out of oil"?? or was I parked on a slope? Do I drive another inch & risk losing the motor or is it a "false alarm". So you usually pull over, shutdown & restart - problem gone because you're now "on the flat".

25. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Aaah, yes , the good old Mondial info console. Porsche could look at that and learn a few tricks....NOT!

But well done for pointing it out. I've just realised I haven't worked on a Mondial for 3 years now.......