Want to buy a Maranello | FerrariChat

Want to buy a Maranello

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by tritone, May 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Hi there; new poster on FChat.
    I am leaving the Porsche world for the long-anticipated excitement of a Ferrari.
    I am looking for a 550 Maranello. I have read the FAQs and done a
    search for information already (and man, theres a lot!!).
    I'm looking online as much as I can find (ebay, FerrariAds etc)
    Maybe someone on this board knows someone...
    My specs are:
    Dark tan interior, also called natural, or tobacco, or cuoio (sp?)
    thanks, no tan or beige.
    Exterior in Titanium, or dark blue.
    I would like to buy from the original owner, but I'm open.
    Service records, etc.
    Have cash; will travel
    Eurocar is not first choice, but not impossible in the right situation
    Thank you in advance for your help.
    (and if this is the wrong place for this request, please suggest other)

idesign

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Not sure where you are, but the best thing you can do is talk to service managers around the country. They're the ones who see the cars first, and know which owners might or might not be interested in selling before the sales guys are even aware.

Also - keep beating the bushes with friends in car circles. I found my first maranello in the hands of a friend, and the second came out of a private collection by chance after more than 6 months of checking the usual suspects.

I will ask around locally (SF bay area) for you.

--Dan

3. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Best of luck in your hunt. I don't think you will be disappointed with the 550.

4. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    My neighbor's 550 will be for sale when his SuperAmerica Maranello comes in, hopefully in the next month or two. It is maroon colored with the crema interior, all the leather options inside with red trim, piping or something. It is very handsome. This is in Sarasota Florida. He also just bought an Enzo so maybe you can come and see the lot. Where are you?

aehaas

5. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Dan - Thanks for looking around the BA for me. I know there is a blue/black 550 in the north bay... been there for awhile. Must be more in the peninsula with the new dealer.

Steve - Thanks! We've been looking forward to this since 1997 in Italy when we were passed @ by a silver one going 200 at least (well it seemed like it from our rent-a-renault)

Ali - please find out if your neighbors car is Fiorano Red - we would be interested!! We're at Crystal Bay @ Lake Tahoe.

Thanks to all of you for the leads!

6. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    #6 AEHaas, May 15, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Looks like Rosso Fiorano to me.

Forza,
    Kevin

8. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Ali - you're a genius! Our specs may have just changed. My husband is after a blue/natural car in California, but this is the one we will buy!

Please get more information from your friend, esp a pic of the interior. Also, how soon will he sell? We'll wait for the right car.

Thanks again,
    Casudi

9. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    There are publications out there you can subscribe to, that have Ferrari classified ads in them... There's one magazine that has HUNDREDS of classified ads and a new issue comes out every two weeks...! From what i understand, subscribers can submit classifieds of their own, absolutely free...! So, you could subscribe to said magazine, advertise in the FERRARI WANTED section and, at the same time, peruse the hundreds of classifieds... i don't think it gets much better than that... i think the name of the publication is the Ferrari Market Letter... i think this is their website... Good luck in your search and definitely keep us posted...

10. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    NNO -
    Thank you for the suggestion, I never heard of that magazine before (my husband keeps some things from me..... ;--)
    Wait, I thought that magazine only showed the old, noisy, smelly ones that cost $$$$$$$$$$$$?

I'm joking; we found our 330GTC via FML years ago!

Casudi

11. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    Call Gary Roberts at 941-724-9995

aehaas

12. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    The blue car has been sitting for over a year now. Storied car. Finding a 550 - I think Ali's friend's car might be the best bet. Rosso fiorano is STUNNING.

If you'd like me to keep beating the bushes, say the word.

--Dan

13. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    On looking at a MY 2000 550 on a dealers website, the closeup pic of the metal VIN plate in the door opening shows clearly that the plate is riveted in 2 places on top, has no rivets on the bottom, and the bottom holes of the plate and the body are misaligned!

Did 'Giusseppe' just get really lazy on a warm Friday afternoon, or is there more (or less) than meets the eye here?

Does that indicate typical assembly quality of a 550?

14. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Dan - agree with you about Fiorano Red! We like it so much that we specified "Passion Red" (same color) for a Pininfarina Design kitchen which we designed for a client in Vancouver BC.

(you can see it @ www.judithmatheson.com it's the Shaw Tower/Coal Harbour waterfront property)

Be happy to tool around in a car of the same color!

Casudi

15. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    That kitchen looks awesome! chic!

As for build quality - never really paid any attention, but I don't remember vin plates on either car being misaligned. will go look in a few...

--Dan