Zymol & swirl marks - are they gone..are they, are they??? | FerrariChat

Zymol & swirl marks - are they gone..are they, are they???

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by hedge, May 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Sadly.......not. However, they are greatly diminished and the over all finish is, quite frankly, ridiculously fabulomondo. Thanks for all the advice and recommendations - some pics to follow below, but first here is what I did..

Washed with Zymol auto bathe, zymol sponge in warm water (3 buckets). Dried with that silicon thingy and a chamois. 1.5 hrs.

Claybar using Meguiars clay system (already had this). Ran out of spray and used the one grand show off spray (same thing, different brand) to finish - Meguiars spray is far superior. Literally did every nook & cranny, and on paintwork inside the doors, engine, bonnet, etc. 3 hrs (boring).

1st application Zymol HD cleanse. Used 100% cotton terry cloths to wipe off. 1.5 hrs.

2nd application Zymol HD cleanse. 1 hr. Still a bit swirly so tried t-cut on a small area..didn't do the job, pig to get off as has been mentioned (didn't resort to meths though) and never again..red all over the cloth..AVOID!

Tyres & trim with good old Armor All..never found anything as good if it is properly applied. 30 mins ish (2nd app next day, 15 mins).

Interior just a quicky as I shampood carpets and treated leather with Meguiars gold class in Jan. 30 mins.

Seals with Zymol sealy stuff - works very well, probably needs another application. Black filth coming off them was grim and they are now far more moist..will be interesting to see if there is a road noise diff with the roof on. 20 mins.

Wax with Zymol Ital..applied by hand, wierd at first but I got in to it. Neighbours think I am a nutter. So does Zoe. So does everyone else. So do I. Wiped off with Zymol microwipes. Needed the second one as the residue started smearing after a while. Over all very easy to apply, very easy to remove, no over waxing on to trim etc and didn't take long..time is in the prep. 1 hr.

Left to soak up the sun for a few hours and buffed with Zymol towel.

Just over 10 hours spend over 3 days. Loads of very nice conversations with people walking their dogs and the neighbours (who all think I'm barking..'psst, now he's massaging it!'), couple of occassions where gawping kids wanted to have a look so I put them in the car. Very enjoyable, sun shining, music playing, all in all a great weekend, made infinitely better a couple of hours ago when my Sis phoned to say she had got engaged!!

And a good job the weather man was wrong..again..it was meant to rain all weekend - it hasn't once and today was glorious.

Pics now:

2. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #2 hedge, May 15, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #3 hedge, May 15, 2005
  4. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #4 hedge, May 15, 2005
    same deal, after Ital. Oddly the pics after HD look 'cleaner' than these, but in reality the car is no worst off for the waxing, just blurrier pics above I think (taken last night after a few).

All were taken with no flash.

Comparing the last two to the first two there are marked improvements but I must say as the original idea was to remove these, I am a bit disappointed and now do not believe these can be removed. Even the abrasive t-cut didn't touch them. Will live with them now - they are far better than before which is good going anyway for 16 year old original paintwork.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Marc

looks great, big improvement over 1st pics :)

6. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    In the last picture there is lawn food which part of the car do you do with that

7. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #9 hedge, May 15, 2005
    and after all that it would have been rude not to find some cool coutry roads and actually drive the beast!!

Thanks again chaps and chapesses..I am all zymolled out!!

8. ZYMOL348

ZYMOL348 Karting

May 1, 2004
    Minehead Somerset
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rea
    You should have used all zymol products Two grades of wipe off towels one for the PROPER klay bar /hd clense and one to polish Glad your pleased but maybe could have been better Remember when you wash towels dont use conditioner

Zymol348

9. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I used that on my hair!!

10. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    does it work if so i will buy it by the bucket

11. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Looks like a very good result. Lots of commitment.

I see some Mer on the shelf , I have always found it to be tops !

12. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Thanks, I won't. Didn't think the klay bit claimed to remove swirl marks in any case though? Over all I am delighted with the finish..if I install the bonnet in the bathroom as a mirror, I would. I am just a little disappointed that the HD did not get rid of the swirls completely. Never mind though - I'm cool with it.

All things serve the beam.

13. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    shhh, I could have saved a fortune!

14. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    yes, as long as you don't mind green hair.

15. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    any colour is better than none

16. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    #18 barabus, May 15, 2005
  17. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
  18. reflex

reflex Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    Brighton U.K
    I'm sure if you continue to use Zymol or Swissol products your swirls marks will eventually dissappear. I've been using both Zymol and Swissol products for about 4 years now.

I've found that the HD cleanse from Zymol is not as good as the Swissol HD cleanse. Both brands seem to have one strong product in particular, and the case of Swissol its got to be their pre-wax cleanse product.

Regards,

James.

19. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I used the zymol mf cloths.

20. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    yes!

21. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    We need to get our newly Zymol'd cars together soon Marcus! Great job by the way. In the winter, mine took 5 Sundays of elbow-grease, but it was well worth it.

MARK

22. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    You two (Mark and Marc) need to get across to Switzerland.
    I have a black 328 in dire need of your zymol know how
    I'll sit in the garden with a beer while you explain the various steps you are going through :D

Car looks great Marc

23. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Thanks. always up for a visit, but not sure about you being the director of car washing while we do all the work!