Shifter gate shootout; attn. shifter gate lock manufacturers | FerrariChat

Shifter gate shootout; attn. shifter gate lock manufacturers

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by davewapinski, May 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davewapinski

davewapinski Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2003
    I like the idea of a shifer gate lock, but had the bad experience with the Ultimate Pedals one. However, manufacturers do improve their products.

Yesterday, I was in Omaha and tomorrow I will be in Boston. In Omaha a locksmith was doing some work for me and did a poor job. The second locksmith did an outstanding job. Watching him work and talking to him, I realizied he was honest and knew more about locks than anyone else I had talked to. So I asked him about shifter locks. He said that laundrymats had constant problems with people picking their tublar locks. Most tublar locks can be picked in a few minutes by someone who knows what they are doing. However, some tublar locks are next to impossible to pick. Some of the better ones have things like mushroom pins.

In about a month or two will be ready to buy another shifter gate lock.

What I would like to do is have the corporation buy one of every shifter gate lock on the market. Have these bought through a third party so that the manufacturers do not know I am buying them.

Then send them to the locksmith in Omaha. On inspection, if he thinks they are junk, then end the test there. If unsure and since most thiefs will not spend more than 10 minutes trying to pick a lock, then have the corporation pay the locksmith for up to 30 minutes of time trying to pick the lock on each shifter gate lock that passes the first inspection.

Then I will keep the one rated the best and return the ones rated not-best.

Would like the manufacturers to agree to refund the purchase price less their shipping costs for the ones rated not-best. This is in case they do not have a return policy. Manufacturers please post to ferrarichat if this is acceptable or not.

After the tests, the manufacturers will first be notified of the results and the person who did the tests. This will give them time to offer a rebuttal or make plans to improve their products.

After a reasonable amount of time, I will post the results on ferrarichat.

Ferrarichat members: if you know of a shifter gate lock that we should consider, please post their contact information here.

Thanks.

2. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Don't want to be critical of your idea but "one locksmith in Omaha" hardly sounds like a scientific validation of the lock quality. No business in their right mind would participate - contact Consumer Report and lobby for them to do an evaluation, then the results may actually be meaningful.

3. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Dave,

I understand your frustration, but what's in it for the lock manufacturers? Nothing, I'd venture, at least for the losing ones. So why do it? I suspect they would not. If you are looking for a good lock that will keep thieves from grabbing your car again, basically forget about it. All you can do is slow them down a bit. A determined thief will get your car no matter what you do. I'm convinced that the shift lock only deters the kids/joy riders. For them, just seeing it there is enough to get them to walk away and try something easier. If not, they are going to defeat it anyway. A pro thief will get it if he really wants it, lock or no lock.

I've thought about this a bit. I think the money is better spent on an ignition kill switch. If the car won't start (i.e., turns over but doesn't start), any thief will leave it rather than take the time to try to figure it out. The only way the car disappears is if they tow it. And no amount of "protection" will stop them from doing that. So save your money on the locks and let's figure out how to install an effective ignition kill switch.

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    The results from this test would be interesting, but I think you would have to simply buy the locks and test them. If you can't return the ones you don't want, just sell them on eBay.

To make the results for meaningful, I would actually have two different locksmiths examine the locks and see if their assessments agree. It can't be that hard to find competent locksmiths.

I agree that a shifter lock is not going to stop a determined thief. I worry much more about vandalism than theft. (Someone keying my car, or popping it into neutral and giving it a push). The shifter lock just makes sure the car stays in gear so it can't be accidentally or deliberately rolled from where I parked it by a prankster or someone just sitting in the car at a car show and accidentally moving the lever.

Birdman

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Huh?

6. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just an FYI for everone, but the winch on a roll back flat bed tow truck, can drag a 1 ton dually diesel pickup truck locked in gear and in for wheel drive right up onto the bed with the wheels dragging. It dont even grunt. It would have no trouble at all dragging your Ferrari up the bed even if the brakes were locked. If you truely dont want your car stolen, dont leave it anywhere un attended. Just pretend its a 1953 Ferrari 166 MM in pristine condition. If you leave it with any access to the front or rear, it can be gone. Heck, they can always drag it around with the winch and then yank it up the ramp.

Dave, hows your car coming along, you get it fixed up again?

7. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    The three I'm aware of are:

Ultimate Pedals
    Paul Hill Engineering
    ItalianCarParts.com

Italian Car Parts was the first to offer such a gadget. Ultimate Pedals came next, then Hill Eng. As much as I like Rob and Ultimate Pedals, I think Paul at Hill Engineering makes a better tubular lockmodel. I personally have and like and use the old Gate Vault from Charles at Italian Car Parts (www.italiancarparts.com/accessories/shiftknobs_pedalpads_gatevault.html.

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Somebody has too much time on his hands.

9. BDP

BDP Rookie

Apr 8, 2005
    I'll curious about the result.

And Dave: keep it short.

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I can't imagine that it would be very easy to pick my shift lock only because it fits so tightly. I don't think someone would just happen to have a tension tool on them at that moment that would be strong enough to turn it.

11. davewapinski

davewapinski Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2003
    Thanks for the thoughts.

Having two locksmiths do the tests is a very good idea. Will do that.

I would think that a manufacturer with a superior product would be willing.

Besides good theft insurance, will have Low-Jack or something similar/better. I know the places the professional theft looked for it.

In addition, will have a paging system with or without an audio alarm. Have not decided if an audio alarm is good or bad. If anyone has thoughts or experience in this, please post your thoughts. The paging system is for flat beds or other types of tow trucks.

The gate lock is to prevent joy riders along with a hidden switch for fuel or igition.

It will be a couple of months before I will be able to do this. Will post the results.

12. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    The thief that trys to steal your car is gonna quit the profession after the attempt! or at least quit with Ferraris!

13. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Dave, and anyone else interested, I have had some thoughts on this stuff over the years as well, though I hate the idea of making my car hard to deal with my ownself. I guess I try to think what I would do if I owned something like a '53 166MM, guess I'd have to keep it original and just not leave it in any old place where someone could mess with it or sneak it away. But, heres some ideas some of you may or may not have considered.

I know from looking at this that car thieves will cut the battery cable to keep a car from making noise, if you locate the siren in a hard to reach area. However, the battery on a Ferrari is hard to reach. But one way around that is a motorcycle battery in a hiden spot, wired into the electrical system through a relayed ignition wire, so its isolated if they short the battery. The motorcycle battery stays charged when the car runs, and if the alarm is tripped, sounds the siren. The siren is encased in a steel box welded to a frame rail, and the wire ran through the rail. The box is open facing the road, in the middle of the car, making it very hard to silence.

Another idea is a hidden hydraulic lock for the brakes to lock all four wheels.

You could get a steering wheel coupler and remove your steering wheel when you leave the car.

You can use a remote mounted toggle switch to cut the ignition power wire to the coils.

Lo-Jack could be a good idea in some cases.

But perhaps in the end, it may be best to just treat the car as a valuable peice of art, your own '53 166MM, and never let it out of your sight.

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    What is a "Lo-Jack"? I have never heard of it.

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    www.google.com

16. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    It's basically a GPS system that allows you (or the LoJack service or the police) to locate a stolen car. It doesn't actually broadcast until/unless you report your car as stolen. See www.lojack.com

17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Any update on the great shift lock debate?

It's not that I'm planning to park the car on the Mexican border or anything, but with the top off I can see how joyriders could just push start it. Was thinking about the Hill Engineering lock...

18. jimwalking

jimwalking Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2006
    I have the Hill lock and the Club. I've read that freon can freeze the assembly of any lock and then one hit with a hammer makes it shatter. All you can do is slow them down, if they really want your car they will car-jack you.

19. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #19 308 GTB, Feb 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dave, you might be interested in the MI 6 Anti-Theft Device:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login