After storage, how long should it take a car to run well again? | FerrariChat

After storage, how long should it take a car to run well again?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 62 250 GTO, May 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Say a car sits for 1 1/2 years and you change all of the parts that need replacing oils/ hoses, tires etc.... How long should it take the car to run properly if it was in great shape when it went into storage?

I'm thinking it should run well as soon as the engine is started.

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I don't ... what about plugs and all the old fuel ...

Storing a car is IMO the worst thing you can do to a mechanical object ... hence why factories spend millions mothballing them.

I'd say once you have gone through the carbs/injection system ... replaced all plugs, etc. AND all the rubber parts (as you mentioned) then I'd run her on jack stands ever so gently for a good 10 minutes letting the oil coat everything (including gears in gearbox and diff) with absolutely no load.

Then I'd expect to spend another 3 months ironing bugs out of her ... then she'll be ready.

Pete
    ps: I pity people that have to store cars due to weather ... :(

3. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I have stored this car every winter and I will continue to. It just can't be driven in the winter.

I replaced the wires, dist cap, plugs and everything else under the hood {the motor stayed together} before it went into storage and all of those parts were checked out this week.
    I've replaced the pads, rotors, wheel cylinder on the back and will bleed the brakes. The oils were changed, the gas should still be good as it was stored in a dry environment and had stabilizer in it.

4. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil

Damn that's 60% of the driving season. :(