Replacing oil pressure sending unit | FerrariChat

Replacing oil pressure sending unit

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RWDOMKR, May 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RWDOMKR

RWDOMKR Karting

Aug 18, 2004
    Stockton, CA USA
    Full Name:
    RWDOMKR
    I'll be replacing the oil pressure sending unit on my '75 GT4 this evening....any hints or tricks to the r&r??

Many thanks!!

R

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Unplug the sender from the harness. Pull the filter to get access to the housing. Rags to catch any outflow. Put a spanner on the exposed nut of the sender. Away you go.
    Very easy.
    Philip

3. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    ....Looks easy. In plain sight. Removing filter easy enough. Getting a wrench on the hex. Not so easy. I've tryed using a crows foot. I think King Kong put my old one on. pma1010, spanner wrench? What kind? I need one of those to make it easyer. RWOMKR, If you get yours off easly, let me know what you did.

Kurt

4. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    On my 308 GTSi twice I ended up having to remove the whole oil filter housing assembly to replace the oil pressure sending unit because I could not get a wrench on it.

Next time, I will add a small pipe nipple to bring the sending unit out a bit and make it easier to put a wrench on it.

5. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    #5 308GTS, May 16, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. RWDOMKR

RWDOMKR Karting

Aug 18, 2004
    Stockton, CA USA
    Full Name:
    RWDOMKR
    Yea, that's what I thought....whole unit's coming off - thanks to all!!
    R

7. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    ...did you find a good deal on one? The dealer here wants $136 for the darn thing!

Kurt

8. RWDOMKR

RWDOMKR Karting

Aug 18, 2004
    Stockton, CA USA
    Full Name:
    RWDOMKR
    I don't know yet....I've got the thing installed, but haven't received the invoice from Partsource yet....left it out of the shipping box. I'll let you know as soon as I know...

R

9. 4returbo

4returbo Karting

Oct 14, 2003
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Rick Oliver
    For what it's worth. I was able to get mine off with a rag and an channel lock adjustable pliers. Very easy.

10. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul

I did the same thing, only I didnt use a rag. If its not working, unless you just want a pretty Ferrari part to put on a desk, if it gets destroyed removing it who cares? I used a channel lock as well, and in reality, it didnt hurt it at all, it unscrewed very easily. I did however, use oil rated teflon tape on it before screwing it back in.

11. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Hey Paul
    FYI, my race fab guy indicated "we" (me) should stay away from teflon tape. He did recommend a Permatex thread sealer (white paste) for the pipe thread connections we used. This stuff has very specific application instructions (e.g., apply to 3/4 of thread bore and not to the first two threads...).
    Philip