Ferrari for everyday driving | FerrariChat

Ferrari for everyday driving

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Macchina, May 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Macchina

Macchina Rookie

May 19, 2005
    Hello! I am a new member and would first like to say hello to everone here. You have a great forum here and I am impressed by the quality of the posts.

Now my question:

I am intending to buy a (guess what) Ferrari. Due to the somewhat limited budget, it will either be a 348, 355, or 456 GT (manual transmission).

If it is a 348, then only one of the late models after the modification or a spider.

I live in Europe. The pricing here is

348 cheapest
    456 GT in-between for older models
    355 most expensive (of the 3)

I want a car for everyday driving, not something just to take out on a Sunday. Accordingly, reliability at the lowest price is my biggest concern, since the initial acquisition cost is only part of the story.

Any advice? ;o)

Thanx in advance!

2. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    You said 456GT, so I'm assuming it's a six speed. In that case, my guess is that if it has had the window issue fixed the 456 would have the least expensive long-term maintenance costs because the engine doesn't have to come out for belt services like the 348/355 would. Yes, you're paying for 50% more plugs, wires, etc, but you also get V12 torque!

355 would be my second choice if it's a later model that has had the exhaust manifolds replaced.

3. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    328. At least that is my daily driver, and I am more than happy with that. Compared to the 348 you have a little less power, but even lower costs and higher reliability.
    Ciao
    Eugenio

4. Macchina

Macchina Rookie

May 19, 2005
    What I don't like about the 328 is that the interior is (for my personal taste) still a bit too 70-ish. I guess the 348 would be borderline, as far as the interior is concerned.

I corrected my post. Yes, I was talking about the manual 456 GT. Is there a problem with high-mileage models? They are comparatively cheap (the older ones, the Modificato are still outside my league). Since I would be putting miles on that car, hunting for a low mileage one would probably not be worth it.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Same 'ol advice once again....

ALWAYS get the latest model you can afford.

6. Macchina

Macchina Rookie

May 19, 2005
    That would either be a 355 or 456.....

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    The 456 is BY FAR the more practical of the two.

8. Macchina

Macchina Rookie

May 19, 2005
    I have read through some of the 456 threads here. For me, it would have to be a 95 model. But they seem to have a gazillion little and larger flaws..... the same about the 355 and 348?

One of the particular drawbacks of the 456 seems to be that until the 456M, they needed regular valve adjustment every 15k or so. Now, a 456M is still too pricey for me. But I read here that the older models should be "avoided at all cost"...

9. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Like a 78' 308? ;)

10. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Post also in the Modern Forum, and ask for response from 456 owners directly. I think you will find mostly positive experiences (taking into consideration the known issues: windows, etc.)
    Good luck, they're beautiful cars!

james

11. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Oucheee-Wawa!!!!

12. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    With the list you gave me, for everyday driving the 456 GT fits the bill best.

However, the 348 and 355 are much more fun to drive.

13. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    348 is a blast to drive...But not everyday.

14. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    macchina, my vote goes to the 355. Welcome to the group!

15. exoticalex

exoticalex Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Walnut Creek, Ca
    Full Name:
    Alex L
    I would say go for the 355! Its a blast to drive, and the sound is amazing! Slap on a Capristo exhaust, and call it quits!!!

16. TomSilver

TomSilver Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Tom
    In which part of Europe do you live? Driving a Ferrari in the winter is not so funny. So you need mostly good weather.
    For me the Ferrari is not my daily driver. It's something special, when I drive it, I celebrate it. Good weather, empty and dry streets - Ferrari time. For daily driving, a BMW fits better.

17. Neal K.

Neal K. Karting

May 9, 2005
    Clarence, N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Neal
    I have owned and driven a 2003 456M GT for two+ years
    so I am partial to Ferrari's venerable 2+2 that has been
    desribed in various media as one of the company's "all-time
    great road cars".
    I have had only one problem with my 456M, which was
    the battery that was replaced routinely under warranty.
    The 456M GT (or GTA) is a lot of fun to drive, handling
    very nicely, with gobs of performance. Once behind the
    wheel you're impressed with how much torque the 456M
    engine produces. Road grip is superb. Acceleration, incredible!
    This is not a Ferrari "track car", though I have taken it to a
    Ferrari track-day event, which was thoroughly enjoyable.
    This is a "G.T.", the best car I've driven for "grand touring".
    To use a current maxim, it also is "user-friendly".
    Here in North America the Ferrari-of-choice are the 8-cylinders,
    so there are very few 456's and not many more Maranellos.
    My preference, however, are the Ferrari 12-cylinder models.

18. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Hi...
    Buying your first is the most exciting experience! I would suggest you sit and drive all three. My frist ferrari was a 348 TB and I've since moved to owning a 456GT. I've driven the 355 (which, incidentally, in my opinion, is probably one of NICEST sounding ferraris every made..next to the C4!). Both cars are amazingly fun to drive.

I think the question you'll have to ask yourself is what kind of driving you would like to do. If you value the extra 2 seats, then the 456 is absolutely the way to go. But in terms of "go-kart" feel and ferrari mid-engine agility, the 348 OR 355 are both very good choices.

Most importantly, drive all three. You will know in less than 5 min which car appeals to you most. Forget about "reliability"... a well driven, well maintained car will last a lifetime, no matter what model or engine configuration!!

Byron