That was fun... NOT | FerrariChat

That was fun... NOT

Discussion in 'Australia' started by 348CH, May 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348CH

348CH Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    The Reverend Dr.
    So there I was, minding my own business, heading off to the airport last week. Early flight so I'm on the road by a bit after four o'clock in the wee hours of the morning. Huge day ahead, back-to-back meetings, the culmination of several years work.
    Heading down Templestowe Road I see a cop car going the other way suddenly throw a u-turn - oops travelling a little quick perhaps. I pulled into the servo to grab some petrol and alongside it crawls. A polite exchange of hellos and time to produce the licence blow in the bag and check rego. No prob me thinks. Had a lovely dinner last night, a few wines but no problemo.

Well, you could've knocked me down. I registered over - well over - the limit. At that I should've been slurring words and having trouble focussing. Police park the car and take me back to the station - I will say that we were all very civilised - they're only doing their job and even though I felt there was no way I could be over, their equipment said otherwise and now was not the time to have an argument.
    Go back and get 'interviewed' told them how much I'd drunk and when, told them it didn't add up and no, I wouldn't drive a car if I suspected I was even near the limit. Explained they were making me miss my flight and that it was crucial for me to be in Sydney this morning. The 'machine' was all warmed up and it was time to blow... surprise surprise. Barely registered... I guess that hand held device is going in for repairs and recalibration. Two very very embarrassed and apologetic cops high tail me back to my car (fastest I've travelled in a built up area...) and set me on my way. Arrive at the airport and check in 15 minutes before departure...
    Not a good way to start the day

2. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No, but a good way to end a meeting with the police. :)

3. 348CH

348CH Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    The Reverend Dr.
    *touch wood* never ended a meeting with the police on a sour note.

Although that's more about avoiding meetings with the police in the first place than anything else :)

4. AHG

AHG Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That would have been a very stressful experience Mark.
    Did the rest of the day turn out OK?

5. 348CH

348CH Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    The Reverend Dr.
    Stressful is a way to put it. Particularly as I'm so anti-drink driving and always lecturing others on the importance of good car control.

But yes, the day turned out pretty well in the end.

6. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    sorry, can't associate with drunks anymore...delete my phone number you pi55head :D

had a mate who defends drink driving clients get done for DUI a couple of months back when coming home from the rugger....he didn't get out of it

is this karma ??

7. 348CH

348CH Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    The Reverend Dr.

the important difference is I was NOT drink driving - and, fortunately, the second piece of equipment wasn't faulty! I think I might frame the print out...

8. sportveloce

sportveloce Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2003
    The Aussie section
    Lucky you were not flying JetStar! They close the gate 30mins before takeoff. Its a real pain.

9. berseeker

berseeker Rookie

May 16, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Down Under
    i wouldn't be suprised that some of them are faulty, while ago on toorak rd, they say i was just on the limit and he wanted to check my liscnes to see if i was a full lisence, and i didn't even drink... just wonder how many poor dudes that was wrongly accused of..

10. 348CH

348CH Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    The Reverend Dr.
    Now that's something that will never happen. I am possibly the least pretentious F car person but I draw the line Westie Airlines

11. 348CH

348CH Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    The Reverend Dr.
    the hand held devices are never used to record actual BAC. They are simply a screening device - unfortunately, like all equipment, if not calibrated regularly they soon go out.

The machine back at the station/in the bus is the accurate one

12. AKA

AKA F1 Rookie

May 17, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John McCabe
    Really dumb comment, but had you used mouthwash or something like that before leaving home?

As you would probably know, if someone just comsumed alcohol prior to testing - it will run the reading VERY high.

13. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Take it from me...that guy's never used mouthwash in his LIFE!!

14. AKA

AKA F1 Rookie

May 17, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John McCabe
    Perhaps the germs from gingivitis running havoc through the tester then? ;)

15. 348CH

348CH Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    The Reverend Dr.
    *burp* you're right, no mouthwash that morning

16. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    Your dilemma has often perplexed me 348CH. Many a time I have driven the next morning (feeling completely fresh and sober)after a few Bourbons or similar the night before. I've often wondered if I would be over the limit if breath tested early AM. Is there a way to determine this more more pragmatically other than blow into the policeman's roadside breathaliser?

17. 348CH

348CH Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    The Reverend Dr.
    buy your own analyser, count your drinks...

the problem though wasn't being over, the problem was a hand held analyser reading over. Fortunately, the proper machines are tested for accuracy everytime they are started up.