Garage floor - epoxy or what? | FerrariChat

Garage floor - epoxy or what?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Bullfighter, May 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Any of you have your concrete garage floors covered with epoxy or something else? My cement is pretty clean, but it looks plain and I'd like something I could clean easier.

I'm not looking for a garage museum - just something that resists oil and will keep the cement from drawing moisture into the garage (and trapping it with the cars.)

I'm interested in your experience with durability, and how much it costs for a two-car garage. Thanks!!

Jon

2. Teutonic

Teutonic Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Irvine,CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Edwards
  3. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Perfect - this is exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

4. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I will be useing the Rustoleum 2 1/2 garage kit pretty soon. Just have to decide if I will be expanding the space or not.

5. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Anyone have experience with composite vinyl tiles? They cost $28 for a box with 48 1ft by 1 ft tiles, and, including the glue, trowel, kneepads and gloves, the cost to install would be $0.60 per sq. foot. So, for a typical 20X18 garage, it would be around 200 bucks. And it would take an afternoon. You spread the glue stuff, walk away for an hour, then come back when there's a nice and sticky covering on the floor, and lay the tiles down. They cut easily with a box-cutter, if you need to contour the edges.

I was in a Circuit City store and saw them putting these down. They looked great--you couldn't see the edges at all. And the workers there claimed that it would be fine in a garage. I haven't been able to find out anything on the web, but I was wondering if anyone here knew.

Thanks!

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

This is the way to go. That sounds like a good price too.

7. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I've had several of my houses done in Epoxy by the Garage People. The mixed-in paint chips cover any imperfections in your floor and dont show small cracks like a straight base coat would. The Garagepeople.com have incredible customer service with excellent quality... The cabinets are incredible !!

One Note: If you have ANY effervescence in your concrete..dont do it !

A good friend needed to go with ** Racedeck.com *** for that very reason..

You can get more creative and design the patterns yourself with Racedeck. Regardless, it came out very nice...!

Good luck
    Patrick

* Alse, Dont try the do-it-yourself Epoxy coatings !!! It's not worth it !!!

8. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Good to know. My concete looks pretty matte - no reflective bits in it - so should be OK.

Now that you mention it -- cabinets would be nicer than my shelf... ;)

9. sdd

sdd Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    San Diego, CA USA
    I concur with The Garage People recommendation. Excellent!
    They did my garage about 6 or 7 years ago here in San Diego. No problems, even with a heavy Range Rover parked on one side. Fluids wipe right up. No stains left behind. And I went with a solid color floor (no paint chips).
    For prep, be sure to do the acid etch process (they'll take care of it).

Dave

10. kirk

kirk Rookie

Jan 27, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Kirk Texeira
    There is an inexpensive epoxy however, it is clear and requires a light grinding of the concrete for less than $300 which includes purchasing a small hand grinder. This is the do it youself price. It is a good water vapor barrier.
    My neighbor used the same epoxy his company used in an aircraft hanger. Shiny and very durable. Is tile an option?
    Home Depot installs and do it yourself epoxys of different qualiy. A buddy of mine had Home Depot apply a cheaper epoxy and he regretted not using the high end one.

Kirk

11. kirk

kirk Rookie

Jan 27, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Kirk Texeira
    High end composite vinyl tiles will work well. Do not buy the soft tiles, they will not last. You must wax to prevent stains from occuring. This application is not a water vapor barrier.

Kirk

12. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Do you mean efflorescence?

Efflorescence is a white powdery appearing deposit. It may appear from a "light haze " to a very heavy "blooming". Or Water soluble salts, depostied as moisture evaporates, on the exterior of brick or concrete.

Effervescence - An effect in the film caused by rapid solvent release. This "boiling" of solvent causes a pinholed or cratered appearance reducing gloss.