308 bonnet (hood) release | FerrariChat

308 bonnet (hood) release

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by AndyE, May 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AndyE

AndyE Karting

Jul 5, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    I often open the bonnet on my gt4 to attach the battery tender. Over the last couple of years the amount that I have had to pull the release leaver has got greater and greater.

Today I popped the bonnet and one side (passenger (RHD)) only just made it before the leaver completely ran out of 'pull'. Soon i fear that it will not open at all and I'll have to resort to the emergency cord in the glove box.

Anyone give me an idea of how to adjust this - I could take it to the workshop but I'd rather not pay for something that is probably trivial.

Thanks.

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Lift the bonnet & start by lubricating the latch mechanism with white lithium grease. Use the spray kind so you can get it into the area where the mechanism pivots. You can use a phillips screwdriver to lock the latch. Lock & release a few times & notice where the parts rub each other. Lube the rub areas.

Might give it a couple of shots of oil first, not 3in1, but at least 20W oil. Elec. motor oil in same hw store shelf as 3in1 is 20w.

Next get a 'cable luber' & cable lube from a motorcycle shop, ebay, etc.
    You adjust the cable by loosening the fastener that attaches it to the latch mechanism. While you've got the cable off, lube the latch cable.

When reinstalling the cable, lock the latch mechanism, pull on the cable while tightening the fastener. This way all the slack is out of the cable.

When first trying the cable after all this, be gentle to be sure it's not too tight. The black latch housings are pretty fragile, so be gentle. When everything's right, a moderate pull on the housing should release the latch.

If you still have to pull hard on the cable, try removing the latch housing & lubing the cable from that end.

If still requires a hard pull, good chance that the cable is frayed inside it's jacket & you need to replace it.

newark_308 likes this.
  3. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It sounds like the inner cable is slipping at the latch.
    My GT4 is garaged 20 miles away so I can't look at it now, but if I recall correctly, there should be a small bolt or screw that clamps the inner cable at the latch. Loosen the bolt, pull some of the slack from the cable and retighten the bolt.