Will We Ever Cure Cancer? | FerrariChat

Will We Ever Cure Cancer?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by UroTrash, May 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Can we cure cancer now?

1. YES, we can and do cure many cancers now.

2. YES, we can cure cancers but we don't because it would decrease income to doctors, etc

3. NO, we cannot cure cancer now.

4. NO, we will never be able to cure cancer.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I get asked that time to time. Same question for 20 years.

Amazing.

My mother in law asked me that.

What do people think we do all day?

85 % of prostate cancers are CURED right now with operation or radiation.

Same is true of many, many other cancers.

I guess what people are really asking is "If a person has a tremendously neglected cancer that is widely spread upon presentation to the doctor, will we ever be able to cure that?" They mean to say "When will we cure ALL cancers no matter how advanced?"

I guess thats what people mean, but it amazes me they still ask in all earnestness if we will be able to cure cancer *one day*.

2. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I am sure its possible. We can put a man on the moon, invade other countries, and even build an atom bomb. It's all a mater of time. Time, paitence, and money.

I am more interested in the "Theory of Everything".

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    to me cancer is just death.....if you have prostate cancer then your prostate is dying - a cure may be possible, or you have the dead/dying part removed.
    but if you have cancer that is advanced or in a vital part that cant be removed or reduced, then you are dead.

people have been dying of cancer for the last 10 million years, but it wasnt until the last 200 years that we had a name for that particular type of death. an over all cure? maybe. but i doubt it, because it would almost mean eternal life for many people.

4. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

As a layperson that has a small amount of knowledge on the subject, I would say that we may never find a cure, but we might be able to prevent most forms of cancer through preventative measures. Whether that is lifestyle changes, preventative drugs & vitamins, more frequent and sensitive screening, and so on.

If you ignore it and it spreads, you're dead. Brain: dead. Lungs: dead. Pancreas: dead. Liver: dead. Watching 3 of 4 grandparents die from various forms was not pleasant to be sure.

5. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    NOT TRUE BRO, i know a person that beat pancreatic cancer, this is extremely rare !! he is in med text books.
    i also got lucky and won too. i was diagnosed with melenoma 2 yrs ago, one of the worse cancers you can get !! it scared the SH^T out of me i was 36 and thought i was dead. but nope yours truley is here with a clean bill of health. posting crap on f chat and hangin in uros closet .

6. T.O. Dino

T.O. Dino Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    If they can take a hair from a person and clone him why can't they find a cure. My guess is that if it were as simple as giving antibiotics and the person being better in a couple of weeks, it would put millions of people out of work, pull billions of dollars out of health care. Think of all the millions of people that make a living from this terrible disease. This is why there is no cure.

just my .02

7. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

You like conspiracy theories don't you Dino?

Did people even read Uro's post? We cure cancer now and today. But hey that pretends that 'cancer' is 'cancer' and not that cancer is actually dozens of different things that have all sorts of different stages. We can cure some, not others and we can treat virtually all of them to some extent. There is no 'cure for cancer' because you're talking about dozens of different things when you say 'cancer.' Will we one day be able to cure them all? Probably.

8. T.O. Dino

T.O. Dino Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2004
    Toronto Canada

There is no cure for cancer we try to prevent it and treat it. There is a difference

9. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I rest my case.

10. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Lance Armstrong.

11. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Both my grandparents had cancer... My grandfather had some kind of "benign" cancer in his back... They dug it out and he's fine... My grandmother had cancer twice, in two separate places... One was throat cancer and the other, i think, was ovarian... She's like a cockroach - nothing can kill her... :)

12. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I hope you are joking. If not you seriously don't have a clue.

13. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I'm with Uro. As a dermatologist (and Mohs surgeon--a skin cancer surgeon) I cure cancer every day. Regarding melanoma as mentioned above--caught early it is very curable, caught late and you're dead.

To simplify--cancer is a programming error (and DNA is the program code). Just as there are millions of lines of computer code in a given program (and a mistake in any of the lines can potentially screw up the program) there are millions of ways for DNA to get messed up. Many mess ups are dead ends (the cells either die or live on OK), but some lead to cancer. The issue is that all lung cancers (or prostate cancers, or whatever) may not have exactly the same errors, and therefore may not respond as evenly to treatments, etc.

So my answer is--we already cure many cancers. Every year, more will either be curable or controllable. And I suspect some will elude a cure for years.

14. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    And Dino--explain how it is a conspiracy to all of the doctors who die from cancer every year...

15. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I thought it was going to move to the Silver section?

:D

16. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Did anyone besides me not read Dino's post and get stuck staring at his avatar? Each time I do... Can someone quote him for me?

Thanks.

:D :D

17. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Yeah.... Dinos avatar is going bye bye. Rob said many times that girly avatars were a no go and if Maranelloman had yanked for it I'm not gonna let other this guy slide.

18. T.O. Dino

T.O. Dino Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2004
    Toronto Canada

Slick, give an opinion like scotty did before opening the piehole. Guy's I apoligize for the avatar, I will behave in the future.

19. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Why would cancer be cured? Anyone that could possibly cure it, won't. There's too much money to be made from "treating" it. The scientists that could solve the puzzels work for big ass companies or govenments with billions of dollars at stake each year. Those are the people who stand to gain copious amounts of money and that brings massive power. I don't mean to be too cynical but that's what I have learned about pharmaceutical companies. The bigger they are the more bulletproof they are. {Ask yourself how a drug company can hold a thousand patents for decades} I would hate to think that McDonalds, Wendy's etc... are all owned by pharmaceutical companies. What would be better than "making" patients for drugs that will cost hundreds of trillions of dollars over centuries? Why are schools cutting back on exercise programs? Why isn't there a "fat tax" yet? Why is the western world so over weight? We are being flooded with images, messages and information about being ourselves, "we are only human", "love yourself for who you are" etc.... What bull, we are eating ourselves into the grave and it's ok? WTF!? I know the world is PC now but... we can't say "lose some damn weight you hippo bastard!" How about walk to the store once a week to get your chips and pop or how about take your kinds to the park at least one time a year or we as a society will take them away from you under the abuse of children act?

I'm about 10 pounds over weight but I have a lot of muscle {football} so it's hard to tell if I am really over weight really.

20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    So, you're saying the fat is in remission despite the conspiracy?

21. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
  22. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    My faith has been restored in the gullibility of mankind.

23. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Go to google and search "Flax" and omega 3's oils, if you really study it will truly change your life and possibly the "cure" and the key to well being and optimum health.

Gary

24. Kboy007

Kboy007 Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2004
    Allen
    Full Name:
    Mike Verinder
    Quite honestly.
    Many cancers are curable. BUT. I think as we cure we will find new strands with different "aggresiveness levels" come to life. I dont think we will EVER completely cure it.

25. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    You should check out some of those links, apparently the the shark cartilage people like it up the ass....