88 or 89 328 | FerrariChat

88 or 89 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by 285ferrari, May 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    What are the differences in the two different years? I saw 2 sitting together and could not tell any differences. Is one better equipped or pretty much the same car, just different years?

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    There were notable changes, minor and major between 88, 88.5 and 89.

The major ones were a redesigned suspension, ABS and different wheels.

3. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    So go for the latter 89.

4. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Depends what you like. The ABS system is an archaic system to say the least (akin to an 80s Celia). Many drivers prefer the 88.5, as it has all the upgrades of an 89 without the ABS.

I forgot to mention the steering design was also changed.

5. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Auraraptor speaks not from experience but from heresay.

The ABS works very well for the time period, not too intrusive. Pedal does not go wild. New systems are better of course, as are most systems in autos today.

You must have been looking at an 88.5 and an 89. If so, the main difference is the ABS, but there are some others. The parts book indicates different shocks on the 89's and internal motor parts as well. There are a couple of cosmetic differences, mostly under the front bonnet. These differences are, however, of not much consequence. The only big upgrade in the 328 series was the suspension in late 88. The later cars feel and drive much differently (I have had both). In pure objective terms, the performance difference is not much, so it comes down to what you like. I prefer the feel of the late suspension, but would not hesitate to recommend an 86 to someone because all 328's are great cars.

Dave

6. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Thanks for the info!!!

7. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I have driven a 89 and I didn't like how soon it came on. May have been the car then. I like 88.5's since they have the suspension upgrades as well as steering. I know there is a thread with the changes and what SN they started at.

8. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The suspension upgrades improve drivability, according to some reports. But that's a subjective view.

I had an '88 Celica AllTrac, and I often had the urge to pull the ABS breaker on the @#$% thing. That ABS sucked. But then, I've done enough rallying to know how to work the brakes myself.

In all fairness, the Celica's ABS wasn't so bad when the car was new, but as parts wore, the system got further and further off the mark, until it became more of a hinderance than a help. Arguably, Celicas weren't intended to last more than 10 years.

But all things considered, I'm happy enough with my early '88 328 without ABS. (Except that the brakes are a bit wimpy compared to the humungeous Brembos on the EVO.)

9. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Heh. Well this is your opinion, and not necessarily the one shared by everyone here, even 328 owners. :) All the experience in this thread is valid, especially "Hardtop" Dave's, who has owned a number of these cars.

There are plenty of people who prefer pre '89 cars for either (a) looks [wheels], or (b) LACK of ABS [simpler, perhaps not needed], or (c) cost premium. For many, (a) and (b) and (c) outweigh the subjective benefits of the suspension upgrades (which not everyone would even be able to notice, I would venture), and not even everyone agrees that the suspension changes were as much an upGRADE as an upDATE.

There were a number of small and medium "Running" changes through the 86-89 manufacture, though, and later cars will have more of these. There was even a pretty significant interior update that get glossed over (in 87, involving at least door locks, arm rests [color], and door opening latch mechanisms).

In my case, I'm happy with my very-late-run 87, which includes almost every running change, including said interior updates, but not the convex wheels, ABS, and suspension updates.

In a perfect world, I would opt for a "1988.5" WITHOUT ABS, and then swap the concave wheels that came with those cars for regular ones [I don't even know if I could do this?].

In the end, remember that even the very first 328 off the line itself is an immensely evolved machine, from the early 308s and before (mid-engined Dinos come to mind) through the very latest QVs. That's why I like them--they feel evolved and refined. Like with any engineering project, as time goes on and version numbers increase, eventually you get it "really" right, tweak it to all hell and really dial things in. That's what the 328 is, in my opinion.

Not a single good example in the 86-89 range will disappoint!

10. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Mike328,
    The early wheels will not fit on the later cars (unfortunately). The later suspension was designed to work with more negative offset, so aftermarket wheels are the only option, though I believe 348 wheels can be fitted, but I don't care much for that style either. The convex wheels have grown on me some over the last 3.5 years but I still like the earlier deep dish type better.

By the way, I will have my GTB at the cerebral palsy concours 6/5 at ACC. You should come, even if you do not display. It's a great show.

Dave

11. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Dave,

Very good points, and thanks for the info on the wheels.

Also, appreciate the heads up about the Cerebral Palsy of Colorado event. I'm thinking that Sharon (my fiancee) and I might drive down and participate/display/contribute. It doesn't seem to be too late, and it's a great way to get involved.

This would be my first show, ever, so I might need some guidance--hopefully it's pretty casual.

--Mike

12. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    On later hubs (88.5+) 512 wheels and 360 wheels can be fitted. I put the latter on my car.

13. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Mike,
    You can just show up and pay at the door so to speak. They will direct you to the Ferrari section. I will be helping John Babos with judging. He has a white 328 GTS. Hope to meet you there.

Dave