Maserati Cambiocorsa Spyder vs. 360? | FerrariChat

Maserati Cambiocorsa Spyder vs. 360?

Discussion in '360/430' started by horsmanp, May 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. horsmanp

horsmanp Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Patrick Horsman
    Just drove my friends 2004 Maserati Cambiocorsa Spyder, have yet to drive a Ferrari 360. I am more interested in a 360 based on looks, but my friend said the Maserati is more comfortable... How do these stack up overall on other points? The Maserati had paddle shift, and was fun to drive...

2. JLocke

JLocke Karting

May 26, 2005
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Wish I could help with a direct comparison. But I haven't driven the 360.

I have, however, driven the Maserati Spyder (with paddle shifters) and a '98 Ferrari F355 (stick shift) and have to say that the Ferrari was more fun. I drove both on twisty-turney roads as well as on long straight sections. The Maserati felt real "heavy" to me while the 355 felt quite nimble and quick. The Maserati was plush, though, if that's what you are after. Personally, I prefer a slightly more spartan (but not painful or irritating) open-top sports car.

As I continue my search for a Ferrari to own (and I am strongly leaning towards a 355 Spider) I hope to drive the 360. If I do, I'll post a comparison--just be mindful that it is coming from a newbie to Ferraris!

3. NeuroSpeed

NeuroSpeed Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    Statesville, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam Whitener
    My father owned a manual Mas spyder before he bought his first 360 spider with f1 trans, and now he owns a Mas Coupe w/ cambio as well, and he has been nice enough to let me drive both (even on the track :))

My views:

Comfort: The Mas is more comfortable, but I can't say by how much because there's not really a whole lot of difference. The 360 Has Daytona seats which I find very comfortable, but of course the ride in the 360 is rougher than in the Mas.

Driving: The 360 is by leaps and bounds a more fun car to drive. The Mas has lots of body roll and is heavier, where the 360 has amazing turn-in and amazing grip, and is very confidence-inspiring (but don't get too much of an ego, or you'll be putting your wallet in A LOT more pain).

Looks: The Mas has a very understated elegance to it, which is nice as it doesn't draw all the attention that the Ferrari does. You can easily fly under the radar in the Mas. But, the 360 looks amazing as well.

Personally if I'm ever in a position to be able to afford them (Come on lottery!), I'd have both. Mas for the daily driver and the Ferrari for spirited runs in fair weather.

If you'd like more opinions, PM my dad: eclipse185

Adam

4. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I have a 360, I had a Maser Spyder (concurrent with the 360). They are totatlly different cars, really. The Ferrari is a sports car (albiet refined enough to enjoy on long trips) the Maser is a GT (has good performance, but no so much when pushed). I much prefer the 360, but the Maser has its strong points.

5. Neal K.

Neal K. Karting

May 9, 2005
    Clarence, N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Neal
    In the February 2004 issue of FORZA Magazine--"The Magazine
    About Ferrari", the cover story was entitled, "360 Modena
    vs. Maserati Sypder". The capable writer, Winston
    Goodfellow, concluded his piece with these words:
    "Between the two, it ultimately comes down to mood.
    If you want to be a rock star wherever you go, the 360
    Modena is the only choice. But if you want to play it
    lower-key, to beguile without flaunting, the Spyder is
    your ticket."
    Winston drove both cars for two weeks before writing
    his cover-story analysis.

6. grantb

grantb Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Columbia SC
    Full Name:
    Danny Burnstein
    I have driven a Maserati coupe and convertible, coupe was a 6 spd. and the conv. was a cambio. I also have a 360 coupe. My impressions are as follows:
    Coupe.. fantastic daily driver type car, smooth fast, comfortable, all the modern conveniences, nav. htd seats etc. Wonderful car, but for me. at least, not a car to get excited about for weekend jaunts.
    Maserati convertible... very, very nice. It felt sporting, without being a full-out sports car. Very fast.The top mechanisim was fantastic, just push a switch and everything happens, the metal boot opens, windows drop, the top unhooks itself, and then the whole thing folds into the metal boot, which then closes, and voila, top down motoring in a thoroughbred GT. This was one convertible even my wife loved, didn't muss her hair, ac kept us cool.It was a very nice experience.
    The 360 on the other hand, is totally different, it is absolutley the most fantastic car I have ever driven.That car can put a smile on my face anytime.
    Different answers, to different questions, and all are correct.
    By the way,used low mileage Masers are available for reasonable money,roughly 1/2 the price of 360 coupes and with warranty. They are very tempting

7. Neal K.

Neal K. Karting

May 9, 2005
    Clarence, N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Neal
    You make worthwhile comments.
    Your comparisons are about what
    Winston Goodfellow wrote in his piece
    that I cite above. He mentioned that
    the "wives" who experienced the Maserati
    Spyder liked this sports car the most.

8. horsmanp

horsmanp Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Patrick Horsman
    This is unfortunately what happened to my friend, he bought his brand new from the dealer, and then was back there about eight months later, and saw used cars (his same model year) selling for almost half the price!! That gives me some pause on the staying power of the Mas in regards to resale value...

9. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I have a 360 and test drove the Maser Spyder a couple of months ago. Totally different cars. The Maser is a nice driver but cannot compare to the performance and handling of the 360, IMO.