Web based email client? | FerrariChat

Web based email client?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by FarmerDave, May 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Looking for a web based email client that would retrieve my messages from my email server and store them, similar to the way outlook does, until I delete them. I have no problem paying a subscrition fee, in fact, I'd actually LIKE to because there would be some accountability hopefully if I had problems.

Also would like to be able to send messages too, obviously.

I hate not being able to retrieve emails and docs from my computer when I'm not nearby.

Mail servers are hosted by verizon but their web email client is bloody 'orrible.

Does such a thing exist? Any recommendations?

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    This is what I do...

My home system is always on and always retrieving emails. I set it to delete the emails on the server after 3 days. For those three days, I can use that as a buffer to retrieve emails from www.mail2web.com, which is easy to navigate and use.

Otherwise... gmail, yahoo, hotmail, and of cousre... telnetting to your server and sending/retrieving email the old fashioned way. =D

3. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Computers didn't used to be this complicated. Then Al Gore got the bright idea of hooking them all together and I got lost along the way.

Looks like I can pay a subscription and get the functionality I'm looking for from mail2web.com

I'll forgive the fact that they are an "official partner of Porsche Motorsport." :)

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    You shouldn't need to pay anything for just retrieving your current/existing pop3 mail unless you want further benefits from it.

5. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Yeah, I want it stored in one place, on THEIR server.

My retreival habits would probably be too erratic to try to remember what message is on what computer. And I use at least two different comp's every day.

6. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Exactly, but... you don't have to shell out the dough if you don't have to. Right? Or do you want to shell out 129.50 a year for a service you don't need?

Give the free service a shot. Drop me a line later or via IM if you want some examples/more info. I'll most likely be here at work most of the night. And darnit, it's 53 degrees in here! I'm freezing!

7. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    OK, you sold me, I'll give the free service a shot first.

I really feel frustrated that I can't wrap my brain around IT stuff any more. I used to have a pretty good working knowlege of the stuff and actually enjoyed solving problems like these... it's almost like when I started doing jobs that focused on sales and marketing, the technology knowlege evaporated cause I wasn't giving it a workout.

8. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Trust me Dave... it constantly needs a workout to stay on a level ground. Your skills are more transferrable to other work sectors. As for me, what is transferrable about setting up an Oracle 10g cluster? Not much.

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Couldn't you just get a gmail account and have all of your email forwarded to that address? Leave 'em on the original server when they are forwarded.

Also, most of my accounts allow you to leave the mail on the server for 30 days without deletion.

Or am I full of the old crap-ola??

DM

10. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I have a gmail acct, but when I send replys, will it appear that they're being sent from my work email address, if I simply make that the "reply to" address? Or will it still appear that it came from Gmail?

Dave, I'm gonna send a test msg to your gmail acct, let me know how it looks.

11. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    it will be from gmail. you cannot muck with the headers on the gmail account.

12. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Ahhh... well, wouldn't this be the same if I used the mail2web service?

13. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    dave i will read and answer your emails for you, give me all your info, include- passwords, credit card numbers, ss #, address, mothers maiden name, bank info, car keys. dont worry about a thing, i will take realllllllllly good care of it.