Illinois to Ban Aftermarket Exhausts? | FerrariChat

Illinois to Ban Aftermarket Exhausts?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Dave Bendl, May 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    I received an e-mail from Mid-America Motorworks. Their main focus is aftermarket accessories for Corvette. Apparently our state is attempting to ban aftermarket exhausts via inpection upon emmissions testing. Did anyone else receive this, or heard of this proposed bill? If not, here's what the e-mail says:

"We need your help, right now, to protect your right to have an aftermarket exhaust on your car.

The Illinois legislature is trying to ban aftermarket exhausts. This bill was “under the radar” until the House passed it. Now it is fast tracked to be approved by the Illinois Senate before the legislature adjourns.

Mid America Motorworks is already working to block approval of the bill. BUT WE NEED YOUR HELP. As citizens and voters in Illinois, your opinion is important, more important than ours because your votes determine who holds office.

Call your Illinois State Senator, now, and tell him or her you oppose HB 2221. If you know your Senator’s name, or your district, just find the name or district number, click on the name, and get your Senator’s contact information.

If you don’t know your Senator’s name or your district, please click each name until you find the Senator who represents you.

Act fast, we don’t have much time!

Senator
    District
    Party

Pamela J. Althoff
    R

Larry K. Bomke
    R

Bill Brady
    R

J. Bradley Burzynski
    R

James F. Clayborne, Jr.
    D

Jacqueline Y. Collins
    D

Dan Cronin
    R

M. Maggie Crotty
    D

John J. Cullerton
    D

Gary G. Dahl
    R

Miguel del Valle
    D

James A. DeLeo
    D

Deanna Demuzio
    D

Kirk W. Dillard
    R

Gary Forby
    D

Susan Garrett
    D

Adeline Jay Geo-Karis
    R

William R. Haine
    D

Debbie DeFrancesco Halvorson
    D

Don Harmon
    D

Rickey R. Hendon
    D

Mattie Hunter
    D

Denny Jacobs*
    D

Mike Jacobs
    D

Emil Jones, Jr.
    D

John O. Jones
    R

Wendell E. Jones
    R

Chris Lauzen
    R

Kimberly A. Lightford
    D

Terry Link
    D

David Luechtefeld
    R

Edward D. Maloney
    D

Iris Y. Martinez
    D

James T. Meeks
    I

Antonio Munoz
    D

Carole Pankau
    R

William E. Peterson
    R

Edward Petka
    R

Christine Radogno
    R

Kwame Raoul
    D

Steven J. Rauschenberger
    R

Dale A. Righter
    R

Dale E. Risinger
    R

Carol Ronen
    D

Peter J. Roskam
    R

Dan Rutherford
    R

Martin A. Sandoval
    D

Jeffrey M. Schoenberg
    D

George P. Shadid
    D

Todd Sieben
    R

Ira I. Silverstein
    D

Dave Sullivan
    R

John M. Sullivan
    D

Dave Syverson
    R

Donne E. Trotter
    D

Louis S. Viverito
    D

Lawrence M. Walsh*
    D

Frank C. Watson
    R

Arthur J. Wilhelmi
    D

Richard J. Winkel, Jr.
    R

Kathleen L. Wojcik
    R

This is the official wording of the bill. We have to stop this foolish legislation.

HB 2221

1 AN ACT concerning transportation.

2 Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois,

3 represented in the General Assembly:

4 Section 5. The Illinois Vehicle Code is amended by adding

5 Section 13B-27 as follows:

6 (625 ILCS 5/13B-27 new)

7 Sec. 13B-27. Muffler or exhaust system modification;

8 excessive noise. A vehicle automatically fails the emission

9 inspection required under this Chapter if the vehicle, based on

10 visual observation, is equipped with a muffler or exhaust

11 system that clearly has been modified to amplify or increase

12 the noise of the vehicle. "

2. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Rubbish I say; RUBBISH!

Don't know if I received the same message as my email isn't working. Chelle, CHELLE???

3. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    I haven't forgot ya Skip!! tomorrow I should be done with most of the body on the car and able to dedicate a night or two after that to getting your computer all better :)

Dave, how in the heck is a emissions tester going to have a clue on our cars what is an original exhaust? I agree it's screwed up if they get this through- especially if part passes certification through CARB. If a part has passed CARB testing and is shown to not affect emissions then what business is it of the emissions testing people? Who are they to say a Tubi isn't original equipment?
    Chelle

4. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    JK, Luv ya!

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    If worst comes to worst: FL or AV plates

6. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Import Coffee/Fart cans must have pushed someone with some authority over the edge. It was bound to happen. I wouldnt be too surprised to see Spinners looked at becauses of their illusion to be moving when stopped, making people misjudge when to merge, when to go, or just lose focus on the road.

I know cell phone use will be banned completely, ( if not already ) in Chicago. But is it true for the burbs? I think I saw some bit on NBC that the cell phone law only is for drivers 18 and younger. Anyone know the news?

RocketBoy

PS: Have seen a lot of seatbelt enforcement sites, two on the ride in today.

7. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    One more reason to hate Illinois and the scumbags who run it.

8. loudvette

loudvette Karting

Sep 28, 2004
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    David
    I received the same email, I think is mostly to band the "Grapefruit Shooter" exhaust on the super fast "looking" Honda Civic's.... (don't blame them, they sound like ****) "Chelle" is right the ignorant min wage earner at the local emission place couldn't tell stock from tubi or corsa pipes on a Vette or Ferrari.

9. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    I would agree that this may be pointed towards the coffee can muffler craze. It would be difficult to enforce this law with exotics since most of the workers at these stations don't even know where the gas cap is located.

The dim wits that are proposing this law are probably the same that thought during the oil embargos of years ago: Hey! we can make sure the public keeps their speed down. Just make it a federal law that all cars (even Ferraris) are equipped with 80 MPH speedo's!

10. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    ROTFLMAO!!!!

11. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Don't all civics look superfast???

Some of the wings I've seen, must shave 20mph off the top end.

Bill

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #12 tifosi12, Jun 2, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. loudvette

loudvette Karting

Sep 28, 2004
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    David
    Satellite dishes add down force.

14. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
  15. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    If they want to clamp down on excessive exhaust noise, then go after those obnoxious motorcycles. Especially the "Mel's Angels" who do the Rush Street Roundup every night. I'm sick of all the yuppie-outlaw bikers.

16. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Ditto, hopefully it's just a fad that will go the way of all other fads!

17. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #17 FerrariFrank1, Jun 3, 2005
    No doubt!!! I laugh my arse off when I see these "Yuppie Bikers" trying....TRYING...to look like a Badass....The Brand New Leathers and Boots. The Designer Chaps. The obligitory,Clean,Crisp unfaded Black Harley T-Shirt. And,ofcouse,the $75K "Super Chopper". There are a bunch of them always at the Redstone Rest. over here in Oakbrook Terrace. "Yeah,thats right,thats right. We bad,we bad.....:)" As they continaully rev the Loud Pipes at the stoplight.....

Yeah,just like these guys here.....:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Frank, I can tell you and your mates were just yuppie wanna-be's! You weren't wearing any crisp $200 ironed jeans!

19. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    LOL! How did you guess! And you can't even see the Designer Jeans in that Pic.!....:) Or the old Shovelheads outside...(well,one was an EVO...:) )

"Yup"....that was one of my "Past Lives".....:)

20. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    FYI: It is ALREADY against the law to have a modified exhaust that is louder than stock. (Thus, just about every Harley on the streets of Illinois is in violation.) This bill would make it an emissions failure to have one, is all, but the law against it has been on the books for many years:

625 ILCS 5/12‑602

Sec. 12‑602. Mufflers, prevention of noise.
    Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon the highways of this State shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section.

It is almost certainly the case, however, that this new measure is aimed at ricers and maybe Harleys, and not at more genteel cars. And as someone said, what IEPA drone is going to know what's stock on an Italian exotic and what is not?

My job occasionally involves prosecuting tickets written by Chicago police for muffler violations. Every ticket I have seen has been written either to a Harley rider or to some Fast-and-Furious wannabe who took the silencer out of his ricer fart can.

Edit: A couple years ago, when there was much agitation by a certain alderman to enforce vehicle noise ordinances, I did some unofficial tests to see which vehicles are loudest. All but the most flagrant ricers and bikes are quieter than the average semi or dump truck (that is, when they are just driving normally, not when drag racing, obviously), but nobody is screaming to control noise from big trucks. This whole brouhaha is about lifestyle.

21. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Agreed; and why is that?

Look at what they pay for plates and road tax. Our 'we're smarter than the people politicians', know that if they start stroking big business about the noise levels of their vehicles, revs. and political contributions will decline.

Our system really doesn't follow the dictum of "Government for the people, by the people."
    It's government, for the Government!

22. plasmid

plasmid Karting
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2005
    lawn maintenance
    construction work

very noisy and mostly static

23. Murfman

Murfman Rookie

Jun 4, 2005

The problem is Harleys do not have to get tested by the IEPA. What IEPA drone is going to know what is stock on a 1989 Cavalier for that matter. Its bad enough that some mindless twit has to be all over my car anyway, I hate that they are trying to control enthusiasts this way, even if it is some 17 Yr old punk in a clapped out Civic, he IS the future of our hobby for better or worse, we all started somewhere. This B.S. is making it easier for me to make my Decision to move the He!! out of Illinois. Murf

24. caps8419

caps8419 Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    michael
    oiginally Posted by chasking
    All but the most flagrant ricers and bikes are quieter than the average semi or dump truck (that is, when they are just driving normally, not when drag racing, obviously), but nobody is screaming to control noise from big trucks. This whole brouhaha is about lifestyle.

actually they do, I can do a study of the entire city (or part) and put in any noise source thats static (from construciton to a tennis court) and predict road noise based on statistics. Trucks are the loudest thing out on the road... especially tire noise. The reason this process is not really done is because it is very very expensive and takes a long time to complete.

-Mike

25. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #25 bill365, Jun 4, 2005
    Let me begin with this statement: I live among the woods and cornfields to the far south of the city. There is an interstate spur nearby and I can hear the trucks going past at any time of day or night.

Trucks do emit a good bit of noise, but they are a necessary evil and don't usually race each other through residential areas.

Yes, the Q is lifestyle. The furor arose when Chicago residents banded together and complained about the groups of 50 -100 ricer bikes at a time, with loud or no mufflers, congrerating on various stretches of Lake Shore Drive in the middle of the night revving the throttles, doing burnouts and drag racing at 130+ mph. I can understand their displeasure, it might be nice to get some sleep sometime during the summer.

Then came the fart canned econo-boxes doing the same.

As it does with most cases, this problem prompted the legislators to start passing laws against everybody, not just the targeted abusers. First there was the banning of motorcycles from certain areas of LSD after a prescribed hour, now this.

It's easier to pass a law that wraps it's arms around everybody (and catch them at the testing station) than to catch the true offending individuals in the act.

Are they going to enforce a noise ordinance against ThuMperS, 2000 hip-hop watt car audio systems, that can be clearly heard for 6 blocks? It worries me (I know, parents said the same about many of us) that there is going to be a significant number of the population that will be suffering from acute hearing impairment in the near future.

<confession> I own four bikes with no mufflers, one with them megaphones!!!

OMG, I am sin itself!!! </confession>

Regards,
    Bill

One of the tools of my sinful nature.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login