Heads up to F1 Newbies and others... | FerrariChat

Heads up to F1 Newbies and others...

Discussion in 'F1' started by Gilles27, Apr 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    It seems like there are a number of you who are relatively new to F1 with a desire to learn, which is wonderful. For those that missed it, on May 1 Speed Channel will be re-airing the 1994 Imola Grand Prix, in which Ayrton Senna lost his life 10 years ago. Obviously I'm not promoting this as a sensational exhibit, but rather to give everyone a chance to feel and understand the impact of the tragic moment that changed F1 forever. It will be on at 11pm Eastern time. Since the announcers narrate in the present, I'm sure there will be some relevant perspectives to accompany the telecast.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The show is not bad and does give some historic perspective. IMHO it was too brief on the accident(s) itself and focused too much on the race thereafter. We know that MS won, but does that really matter (well it did for his WC points)? The three accidents shook up F1 and were not discussed enough in this show in my opinion.

Nevertheless a good retrospective, especially since Matchett tells it from his perspective (he was a mechanic at the Benetton #2 car).

And if somebody gets hooked, read Matchett's "Life in the fast lane" or the biography of Ayrton Senna or Michael Schumacher. All three great reads.

3. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    From time to time they are re-airing old races with current commentary. I have really enjoyed seeing the progression of the car designs and how some of the drivers have aged. Great post!!

4. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'll never forget turning on the TV that morning and seeing Senna in his car, I missed the first lap and the TV set came on just as his car came to a rest from the impact; his head jerked a little so I thought "Thank God he's ok" but we all know what happened; the next morning I purchased the Italian sport newspaper "Gazzetta Dello Sport" in Manhattan so I could get some decent press coverage as to what happened. It was the only time I've ever done that.

BTW, May 1 is the day of Senna's accident.

5. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I also remember seeing the race live. A bonechilling accident to say the least. Something told me that moment that he was history.

6. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Senna wasn't the first to lose his life that horrific weekend. :(

7. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I have been watching F1 for three seasons now, but admit I know very little about the history of F1.

Who would be considered the top 10 drivers of all time ?

What about ferrari only drivers who was the best ?

8. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    are there any good video chronicles of F1 history, or good ferrari F1 history videos ?

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    There are the official year end reviews by the FIA. They started doing those somewhere in the mid eighties. Some of these tapes are still available if you search on the net.

Before that it gets a bit dim. With the help of many friends I have been able to collect the years back to 1970, but that's about it. Footage from the fifties and sixties is really hard to find and only in pieces as F1 wasn't on TV as much.

As far as Ferrari and F1 is concerned: I have many tapes in that regard, but nothing that would cover their whole F1 history. Maybe a market niche?

10. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    If anyone else remembers they would occasionally run some of the older F1 races on legends of motorsport which is a great show. I think speed re-airing the 1994 Imola race was a nice touch but i have to agree, too much focus on the race. They should have touched more on the aftermath and the call for safety afterwards but that's only my opinion.

11. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    IIRC that show "Secondd from disaster" did a show on the crash, it could have been a different show but they examined the tech aspect of the impact.

12. ferrarigr

ferrarigr Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Athens,Greece
    Full Name:
    Yiannis GR

I totaly agree...I remember these days too....

13. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    Darn right.

14. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    ROLAND RATZENBERGER

We will never know how good he could have been.

15. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Absolutely.......and many others.

I've had some good "racing family" friends lost as well as severely hurt at races I've either been driving in or crew chief. I personally don't care to continue to revisit any of that race footage out of respect. As an engineer, I just want to learn what killed them and try to engineer the cars more safely. Kimi benefitted greatly from Senna's crash. The steel tethers kept the wheel and upright from crashing into his head. It was headed straight for him just like in the Senna crash which was ultimately the key factor in his passing. Kimi should be VERY thankful.

There is a lot video archive of great races when the guys were "living" and giving it their all.....that's what they should and would want to be remembered for....

It's a dangerous sport, but one we all love

16. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    ATTN: THIS POST IS FROM LAST YEAR.

SPEED IS NOT SHOWING IMOLA '94.

Speed has a show called F1 Decade, and they show the F1 races from 10 years ago. We are now in the '05 season, and therefore F1 Decade is showing '95 races. It is a great show. I record them all, and I do have Imola '94 on VHS if anyone wants a copy.

RE: F1 movies, there is a classic 1966 film called Grand Prix. Your local video store might have it.

17. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    Err... it was bumped after May 1st so it's not like it really mattereed... ;)

18. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    bernardo66 post was 05-29-2005, 10:19 PM so i was just trying to help if someone got their hopes up.