What is wrong with New York Tri-State? | FerrariChat

What is wrong with New York Tri-State?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by rob lay, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm new to this forum, but will stick around a little to work out any problems.

Anyone support W00dEar as a user? Not a troll?

Problems with behavior of other users? BWS550?

What about the EC stuff? What is that really about? I've always thought it was just an informal club that formed on FerrariChat.com of local users that wanted to get together. Stereotypically the younger crowd. However, now there is a separate website that often puts down FerrariChat.com? Why?

Just trying to figure everything out here. All EC bad? Just certain users? Non-EC users just as bad or the victims?

I believe Sam has been doing a good moderating job?

Do you believe Ghost would be a good moderator?

Can everyone be happy together or do we need to split the Tri-state forum up?

Thanks,
    rob

2. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    >>> I'm new to this forum, but will stick around a little to work out any problems.

Great.
    As the site owner, you can really see who starts trouble this way.

>>> What about the EC stuff? What is that really about? I've always thought it was just an informal club that formed on FerrariChat.com of local users that wanted to get together. Stereotypically the younger crowd.

EC is bunch of younger people, who have passion for Ferrari, and have common interests in life, who so happened to meet through Fchat and formed bonds off-line.

>>> However, now there is a separate website that often puts down FerrariChat.com? Why?

Bradley, who used to post here, whose style was not liked by the old timers. You probably rememberm, Bruce550 openly started a thread in general section about Bradley's tYpiNg sTylE. As a result, Bradley started his own site, where one can freely tYpE hOw thEy wiSh and express their own style without being too politically correct.
    The purpose of the other site, was not to put down Ferrarichat.com. It occurs sometimes, that users there will comment on activities happened on Fchat.

>>> Just trying to figure everything out here. All EC bad? Just certain users? Non-EC users just as bad or the victims?

Like everything in life, some people love EC, some hate it. EC and non-EC likely do not see things eye to eye, neither if victim of the other.

>>> I believe Sam has been doing a good moderating job?

Whole heartly agree. Sam is a very fair person, with sense of humor, and has been doing wonderful job to keep balance between EC and non-EC.

>>> Do you believe Ghost would be a good moderator?

No.

>>>Can everyone be happy together or do we need to split the Tri-state forum up?

Do not see the point of spliting up.
    Peopel must learn how to co-exsit. And that's actually VERY easy if you just mind your own business and do not knock on others. Especially we have this little magical feature called Ignore.

3. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Woodear and Bruce are not trolls. both are just opinionated.
    though, it seems like Enzo and Whart just invaded the nytri-state this week and started trolling around in every thread possible.

Sam is doing an excellent job moderating. he is da man. open-minded and doesnt take anyone's side until he does his analysis of the situation. what u do NOT want is a moderator who is narrow-minded.

Bradley's typing style.....ppl should get over it. it's easy to read. if it's too hard for some users to read, then they can choose not to read it. Bruce types in all caps. I personally hate it, but heck....he chooses to type that way and im gonna have to accept it.

EC or non EC. the only bad ppl here are the ones who troll around trying to stir up shhhite.

no need to split up tristate area. we all do runs together so it would be pointless to split it.

4. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Rob,
    I know both Bruce and Woodear, and they are great contributors to the Fchat board, although they do so in their own way. I have gone on drives with both of them on several occasions and they are very friendly.

Not sure what the fuss is all about between them, but banning either one would be a disservice to all.

Sam is doing a great job as moderator. Ghost is a good friend and a great organizer here on the board, but I do not think that Sam needs to be replaced by any means.

People have their differences, so I think that over time, tempers will calm and everything should go back to normal around here (like it has in the past with other personality clashes).

Insidetheec.com is the site you are referring to, but most Fchat users who participate on both boards consider Fchat to be their main point of reference with regard to information. This other website is a place to share pictures and information that would otherwise be banned on Fchat - it has its place for those who participate (and I do participate on insidetheec.com as well).

Please do stick around however; we welcome your input.
    David

5. jptyke

jptyke Formula 3

Sep 28, 2004
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Master P.
    Bruce needs to type bold because of his eye sight dude

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    BTW, for those that want to remain confidential, you may PM me.

7. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    i know that.
    and i said before that i accept the fact that he types in bold.

BraD neEDz tO TypE LIKe thIS beCAUsE hE LIKEs to.
    sometimes i like to type like that.
    now people should be willing to accept that too.

8. jptyke

jptyke Formula 3

Sep 28, 2004
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Master P.
    U Chigga!

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    BTW, shouldn't PA folks post here...

Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)

10. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Dood, Rob Lay is raising a serious issue here.
    Do not hijack it with worthless posts.

11. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Amen.

12. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    sorry my mistake. i thoguht PA was once included in the ny tri-state section.

anways,,,off to drop off my whip at p-factor and then bowling.
    keep this discussion going without trolling please

13. jptyke

jptyke Formula 3

Sep 28, 2004
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Master P.

A. Sam is doing a good job
    B. Older Members/Member don't like how things are changing and evolving
    C. Don't change a thing, 1 tri-state is needed

14. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino

I'm a little bit confused by this. While Pat (Enzo) does live in MN, Bill (Whart) lives in NY/Tri-state so I don't see how he's invading all of the sudden.

15. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini

16. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I like to deal in facts.
    Fact: the 'EC' (real or fake) is hostile to Ferrarichat and communicates on this section as if it were a private club, in ghetto speak and denigrates other members who are not 'EC.' Much of the board usually involves a series of private jokes in shizzle-speak.

Fact: Here is one example of one comment made by one EC member in the context of a discussion on this board about attending the up-coming Greenwich Concours:
    "dAt b rAinpU$sy wIt dEm gAraGe quEens. u eC or vAgiNa?"

Translated into English the question can be rephrased as "are you EC or are you a '*****' (read: Fchat)".

Fact: When another EC'er posted an invitation, right before the holiday, to 'get hostile,' I confronted him, and other 'EC'er's about their insular and hostile behavior on this board, suggested that it was offputting to others who aren't into pretending they are hostile black ghetto kids, and that the whole ghetto thing was misplaced, given that alot of these guys are affluent young Asian Americans who apparently have little to be hostile about. That generated a **** storm over false racism, as well as whether the EC had a right to behave as they do here. No conclusion was reached, but alot of name calling, and other juevenile behavior followed.

Fact: There was an impasse, until i posted another 'attack,' questioning why EC continued to post here, after they admitted that this board 'sux' and that its members are vaginas. The answer was essentially, unless they break rules, they have every right to come here and mock others; further, that I am actually in the minority, that 'EC' and 'EC' sympathies rule this section, and if the EC disappeared, this section would be vacant.

Fact: I posted an observation about all of this to the 'banned button' thread in the Silver section, which precipitated discussion about my alleged attempt to get the EC banned. Fact is, that thread was actually about the improvident use of 'banning' and addressed how to deal with inappropriate behavior on the board in other ways, short of 'banning.'

Fact: The EC feel like they are being attacked here unnecessarily. I say, if this section is to be anything more than a slumming place for them, they cannot continue to behave the way they have.

Fact: Despite being accused of unnecessarily provoking these guys, i have, at every turn, responded in a way which invited reasoned deliberation. The only occasion when i have seen these guys engage in civilized discourse is when they are forced to defend their actions to the administrators here. Otherwise, it's fo shizzle as usual.

Fact: the EC (real or fake) will not post what they really think about much of this, because they know it will not be pretty, and may lead to consequences. As a result, they have apparently decided to vent about this on the EC board, where they can rant without consequence.

Fact: My stated goal here is to clean up this section so that it is more inviting to folks other than the EC. The EC view this as a provocation, the only answer to which is simply to ignore them. I say, that doesn't solve the problem.

Anybody think i've mischaracterized what went down so far?

17. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John

This is a perfect example of the bad aspect of NYTS, and I'm not trying to single out jptyke, he just happened to throw it in here. A serious (or even not so serious) thread gets hijacked by inane postings that grow out of control.

It's easy to not read a thread if you don't like the content, but it is frustrating to see an otherwise interesting thread get polluted with 120 posts interspersed in it with little more than fwerffs and werds, extended personal attacks or tired jokes about picking up stuff at the cleaners.

I think that the spirit and the passion for driving the cars of the EC is great but there are times when the same jokes, sudden hostility or themes repeated get pretty old. The fake gangsta persona doesn't do much for me but hey, I'm a geezer and I'm sure that the stuff I did when I was younger made my elders wonder what I found so amusing about it.

Most of us come here for fun, relaxation, to escape the stress of our lives and to share in our love of Ferraris. We have to put up with enough BS in our work and in our daily lives and so we should try to remember that before we attack someone or troll out some bait.

I don't think NYTS needs any bannings, just maybe a little restraint.

John

18. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I think and have always thought that however tight-knit a group it is, the EC members should be mindful when posting here that lots of Ferrari fans live in the Tri State area who are not "core EC members," but who nevertheless should not be alienated, and who should be made to feel that they can participate.

19. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Would it be deemed inappropriate to insert a "w3rD" here? :)

20. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Looks like I wasn't the only one recently referred to as a vagina...

21. jptyke

jptyke Formula 3

Sep 28, 2004
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Master P.
    Please john get over it, through this site many of us have built friendships. If a person chooses to use one word comment or not, isn't it up to the individual? The comment I made was a real comment. Like it or not, I chose to write it. It is my right as an individual and a person who is a member of this site. I have made good friendships on this site, friendships in fact that my wife and I didn't have a year ago. I was introduced to this site by a friend and have forged true relationships from this board.

If you or anyone does not like what is being written, then you or someone else should start a new thread. Let's face it, the only ones that have been posting has been the "ec" guys. Why because we like to and like to communicate with each other. Anyone can post, that is your right. People should use that right.

Who are you and anyone else here feel that they are above anyone else here and try to control others by the way they want to talk or type? Old or young anyone should be able to have their "inside" comments or jokes. Are we above to have fun?

If you really want to help this site, perhaps you should subscribe?

Like all the comments already made and will continue to be made, this is just my opinion. Like it or not. We all have the right to one. Hmmm...maybe that's why we have the freedom of speech

22. udalmia

udalmia Guest

>>>>>>>Anyone support W00dEar as a user? Not a troll?

I support Chris 100%. A troll is someone who does not contribute anything and only attempts to degenerate the quality of a board. The issue here is the 'degeneration' is being viewed differently.

>>>>>>>Problems with behavior of other users? BWS550?

No issues. I think bruce is a great guy and has helped me via PM on issues. I have met whart in person too and I think if everyone got together in a room without knowing who they were they would hit off brilliantly!

>>>>>>>What about the EC stuff? What is that really about? I've always thought it was just an informal club that formed on FerrariChat.com of local users that wanted to get together. Stereotypically the younger crowd. However, now there is a separate website that often puts down FerrariChat.com? Why?

EC is often misunderstood as east coast. It stands for exclusive colony. It is a group of guys with similiar passions. We are extremely tight knit and interact on a regular basis. We came together last year when the Tristate forum was pretty much dead and we were the only people participating. The 'GanGsTa' lingo, which I never really participated in, but did not knock either, hey whatever floats your boat, if youre having fun why should i stop you? I dont understand why I have the right to comment on your way of typing, type gibberish if you want, if I dont like it i wont read it. Thats what democracy is about.
    Now, the younger crowd/older crowd difference - its a matter of perception really. Take Chris' comment " U EC or Vagina" - relating to rain. Now we in the EC, we like to drive our cars no matter what, weather, mileage etc. and we are proud of it. Chris' statement was a way to motivate someone to actually get out there and drive their car, and somebody from the EC would have read it that way. Its how the written word is. We interact with each other constantly and thats why our casual approach online.
    That being said, I agree 100% that we need to be more courteous to new members. 100%. No doubt.
    And for insidetheec, as brad has stated earlier, it was formed so we could be ourselves, without any moderation. Now you know, anyone who is provided a free environment looks upon a restricted/moderated one with a sense of 'hate'. it automatically becomes 'lame'. The website was in no way intended to put down Fchat.

>>>>>>Just trying to figure everything out here. All EC bad? Just certain users? Non-EC users just as bad or the victims?

Nobody's bad. I think everyone is just misunderstanding each other. That being said, Will, I have nothing but respect for you, but you have to step back and look, you have taken this thing a little personally. Everyone can co-exist. This whole thing would have been easier if you said, "Hey guys, We can all get along can't we? Lets just be nice to the new guys? "

What disappoints me is I'm 100% sure you share the EC mentality at heart from my conversations with you. Its sad really we have come to this useless banter on a public board.

>>>>I believe Sam has been doing a good moderating job?
    100%. No doubt in my mind

>>>>Do you believe Ghost would be a good moderator?
    I dont believe we need another moderator. Nothing personal against Vik.

>>>>Can everyone be happy together or do we need to split the Tri-state forum up?
    I think so. I have met Bruce and Will in person and as well as the EC crew, and I'm sure if we all met and talked in person we would hit it off great.

23. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    i agree 100% with all of utkarshs points.

24. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Guys,

This is becoming a soap opera. If Chris wants to post or type in his certain way, who cares? Don't respond to that thread, if it doesn't concern you! Can you blame Hubert defending Chris? Not at all. This gets back to the Howard Stern question. If you like him (I do), then keep your radio on to K-Rock and listen. If you don't want to Listen, then change the station! Like Hubert said, IGNORE! Its very simple. I don't respond to many of these "soap opera" threads, because I don't feel it's necessary to ask the same questions/remarks/wisecracks about Chris. What ever he post, Bruce is all over him. Bruce, if you don't like the guy...IGNORE! Does Chris have to give a paragraph on where are the L.I. meets. NO! If you don't like Chris' answer, then let someone, or your self give that "new comer" a more elaborate answer. Case closed!! I'm not necessarily defending Chris, but I'm defending him, or anyone else posting what he wants. Who cares! IGNORE!! I think the question about writing "*****" is a different story. If I remember correctly, someone brought that up to Brad a few months back (on F-Chat), and he said that if that offended anyone, then he wouldn't use it. My advise to Sam, who I like very much, is when Chris post something and Bruce is all over him, Just remind Bruce to "Ignore". If he doesn't ignore, then warn him, and then do what ever is necessary. Remember the Stern comment. You don't like what's posted, then read/comment to a post that is more desirable to you. Enough!! Hubert, by the way, I was on Hubert street the other day. Almost bought 401 Greenwich. We would of been neighbors!

25. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Thanks to all who commented. Thanks to Rob for "stopping in." I have no (ok, not too much) ego involved here. I want things to go smoother. Whatever that takes. This thread seems constructive,even if we have not yet reached agreement.