Air Filter Test | FerrariChat

Air Filter Test

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by bubbajoe, Jun 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bubbajoe

bubbajoe Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Bubba J.
  2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #2 thecarreaper, Jun 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    That's the trade-off -- More air flow = more dirt in the engine. This test report makes the same point that several other reports make about air flow versus horsepower. Even the so-called stock, higher restriction filters pass more than enough air to produce all of the horsepower that the vehicle is capable of producing. Using a low restriction (high dirt) air filter ain't gonna give you a lot of additional HP. Period.

So, you make you choice -- cleaner engine or dirtier engine. That's about what it comes down to. The air filter is NOT the place to look for more HP.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    While more dirt equals more wear makes intuitive sense, I would like to see the corellation and studies....I have used K&N's on cars that I later sold with over 165k miles (Honda) and it still ran strong with no oil burning. Sold a Nissan Maxima and it had probably 110k miles with a K&N, no oil burning or problems.

I have used them on my Ferraris too...though I don't have them on my 355 or BMW right now. I might eventually get them.

5. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    And how often did you change your oil on those cars? I'd imagine every 3,000 miles. Particles will pose a problem in the long run but, by using a good oil filter and changing the oil often I'd say your still ahead of most drivers using regular filters and letting it go for 6,000.

But, doesn't the engine have to work harder to pull the air in through that restrictive stock air filter? :) What about the extra stress put on the engine due to that? Won't that shorten the life span of the engine over time as well? After all it's reducing the efficiency of the engine.

6. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    #6 steve f, Jun 2, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have K&N filters in mt F512M but they fit in the standard air boxes but have not used the car since so dont know if any better or louder
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    It's kinda like driving without opening the throttle all the way. That's not harder on the engine... Unless it's rotary, then it'll carbon up on you!

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Changed every 5,000 to 6,000 miles (used synthetic).

9. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    I have a K&N in my 348 and havent had a problem and have the dyno charts to prove swapping it out back to back with a regular filter is a noticable rear wheel hp gain...16 to be exact. There was also a dyno day in Texas for the FChatters a long time ago that confirmed this as well.

Besides that father had it on his work truck (cleaned every 30000 miles) and has put over 290k on the odo without a problem. I have it in my two daily drivers without a issue either.

I dont believe the BS that it allows to much dirt and is dangerous to the engine. Yeah maybe if you leave it in the car for 100,000 miles at a time but in this case you are probably neglecting other maintanence as well.

My question is are there any people on this board that have had a negative experience with a K&N. I doubt it.

10. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I use a k&n and noticed a significant increase in engine reponse. I change my oil evey 1000 miles and if I could I would run no filter like the 23 $16,000,000 GTO's I saw at the track in august. I love my car but the UFI was like running a marathon with a cashmere sweater in your face as opposed to a piece of gauze.

I agree more air more dirt but also more air more power and especially more response! My seat of the pants test says yes!!!

11. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    There are absolutely gains to be found from increased air flow from sports filters.

Some cars respond much more than others, but there is always a gain somehwere in power/torque/throttle response/economy etc

A brand new paper std filter is often adequate, but their efficiency drops off dramatically as they become dirty. A sports filter can be a bit too corase when new with only fresh oil, but as they become a little used they out perform a clean paper filter.

It's proven comprehensively and beyond question in EVERY form of racing.

On the road, it's benefits are questionable, but if you take part in any form of competition, you are giving away an advantage to others if you believe the paper filter is as good.

Two extreme cases relevant here are the 360 and 550. The 360 delivers only slightly better response with a sports filter, while a 550 gives a dramatic and easily detectable response.

12. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    A swap out of a stock filter with a K&N in my TR while on a dyno last May also showed gains in both hp and torque.

13. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Used a pair of them on a 1993 400E for 12 years and 131K miles. No problems whatsoever. Have one on my track Porsche. 60+ track events, no problems. Engine has 154K miles on it. KN filter installed at 90K along with bigger turbo, etc, etc.