Just checked my CS's oil, need advice | FerrariChat

Just checked my CS's oil, need advice

Discussion in '360/430' started by GoodWood, Jun 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GoodWood

GoodWood Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    SE Florida/Indiana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    ok, so last week I *attempt* to check my oil with the car running, as per the manual. I unscrewed the cap, it's VERY hot, wipe it off, put it back in w/o screwing it down. I pull it out, and oil's all over the stick, can't get an accurate reading. So, I try it again, same results. Finally, I shut it down, put the dipstick in, and get a full reading. What am I doing wrong here? The car was very hot, and had just been driven hard for an hr. Is that why I couldn't get an accurate reading while it was running, it was TOO hot?

2. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    maybe let it idle for 5,10 minutes then try or turn the car off and restart after 10 minutes then check. I've read the oil needs to be up to temp but not red hot so turning her off for 10 won't drop the temp enough not to get a accurate reading when you restart.
    rock on

3. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    on all my my cars if i check the oil while running it is all over the stick. the engine has to be off to check the oil since it is under pressure and being circulated. as stated the oil should be at temp when checking it.

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Turn the car off.

--Dan

5. India Whiskey Charlie

India Whiskey Charlie Formula Junior

May 24, 2001
    Way Out West
    #5 India Whiskey Charlie, Jun 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Well, it also says to "screw up the cap tightly". ;) Don't believe everything you read...I think it has been said that you can get an equally accurate reading if you check within a few seconds of shut down. Don't sweat it.

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Dave is right... i know @#$% about cars, but i know you can check your oil and get an accurate reading with the engine off... Just drive it around or let it idle until the temperature is where it's supposed to be then stop and turn it off... Wait five minutes, then check the oil... You'll get an accurate reading...

8. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    stick to the owners manual. I do for my CS

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Actually, on a dry sump car you need to check immediately upon shut down....no waiting 5 minutes! I remember Brian Crall saying it should be at operating temp too....if you can unscrew the cap with your bare hands, the car is not warm enough! ;) You must use a shop towel.

10. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I've never had a problem with it. Just take it easy the last few miles before returning home from a long drive so the engine gets a chance to cool down gradually. After it's parked, check the oil while the engine is still idling. Yes, the filler cap will be extremely hot. I find it helps to hold the dip stick roughly horizontal but with the blade at an angle, if that makes any sense -- it's easier to see the line of demarcation made by the oil.

It was a lot easier before they went to the Teflon-coated dip sticks... :)

11. GoodWood

GoodWood Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    SE Florida/Indiana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I guess it's full then, since that's the reading I got immediately upon shutdown. And, talk about the cap being HOT! That puppy about burnt my hand even through my towel! Next time, I won't let it get soooo hot before checking it.