Super america roof..... | FerrariChat

Super america roof.....

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by chaa, Jun 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    #1 chaa, Jun 2, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think Clarkson had a point, i looked very carefully at the pictures in this months CAR magazine. And yes by the looks of it if you left the car for a moment and it rains, when you come back, you darnt shut the roof becourse a buket of rain would drown the car. And i would not look cool grabing ya sponge to sap up the water be for closing the lid.
    So the new high tec ferrari 200mph with the glass roof that changes its darkness may have a little problem, what do ya think? mmm super america......
    MB: Thats not a spider, its a bloody GTS ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    You wouldnt want 'warter' being thrown on you on any occasion... that sounds horrible.... a bit like Water infested with warts.. euurrghhh. Just kidding Chaa (he says while wondering whether he can run faster under pressure than the big guy)

3. thenumber1

thenumber1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2005
    Manchester, UK
    I'm sure they put some drainage on it....

Mind you.... you're not really supposed to drive it anywhere other than Monaco, Cali or Miami

4. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Can't really comment as yet to see TG - if its true its unfriggingbelievable.

You'd like to think that when the roof reaches horizontal(90 degrees) to the car, that any water would run back over the rear of the car.

5. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    ...along with all the bird 5hit, leaves and lolly sticks that have accumulated since the roof has been down

6. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    :D

7. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes
    The car comes with a cover to put on the roof when it`s down, but how many would bother putting it on!!!

Not one of the six at Monaco the other week had bothered.

Regards,
    Phil.

8. RF128706

RF128706 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    If I had a Superamerica I'd probably also have a servant to wipe my arse, let alone dry my roof :) :)

But seriously, one decent standing start & all the water would surely drain off under accelleration ? But then again, if you had to brake hard before it had all run off...

9. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    I'm guessing it drains off as the roof swivels around.

10. IlyaRU

IlyaRU Karting

May 2, 2005
    Nottingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Ilya
    I thought so too. But I'm still not a fan of the design. Given the choice, I'd rather have a 550 Barthetta than this.

11. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I've not seen an Superamerica in the flesh yet, but don't think it looks too bad, and I like the buttress look.

The problem with the Barchetta is that the roof is the automative equivalent of a knotted hanky. Only fat Northern blokes in string vests can move quicker without their hankies blowing off.

So for the UK, the car's a bit of a waste of time.

The chopped 550s I've seen look quite nice too, but I'm not really a fan of convertibles that start life as Coupes. They always look a bit ungainly one way or another, and are usually compromised in the driving department.

E.g. if the 430 Spider is really as stiff as its coupe sibling, surely the Coupe could have been made lighter...

12. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  13. Nicola

Nicola Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    Northampton
    I had a look at more pictures in the current 'Evo'.
    I think the roof is bizzare. Why was it designed to open like a lunch box?

I think the tinting glass is a good idea, but I do not like the look of the car with the roof on, it intrudes on the flowing lines.

I feel like an old woman when I can't accept a new idea...lol