Tragedy at California Speedway | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Tragedy at California Speedway

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Gary(SF), Jun 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Oh God - this is terrible; again.

There is a thin line between speed and dead in our Ferrari/exotics hobby. Be careful out there, brothers.

My condolences to their familes, loved ones.

2. bnc

bnc Rookie

Jun 3, 2005
    Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Colby
    On behalf of the all the members of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club of Southern California, I’d like to extend our deepest sympathy to the family and friends of the victims of yesterday’s most unfortunate accident.

Bruce Colby
    Competition Director

3. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
  4. Bertus

Bertus Formula 3

Mar 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bert S
    Tragic news.
    May they rest in peace.

5. amslb182

amslb182 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2004
    Ct
    Full Name:
    Andrew LeGrant
    What a horrible thing, my condolences to the wifes, children and friends of the two men.

6. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    How tragic.

Condolences to the families.

7. NickM3

NickM3 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Y.
    Unbelieveable...

May Ben and Corey rest in peace.

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have been involved with track events with the FCA for 13 years and I have always had this sort of thing in the back of my mind. I am very sorry for his family. For those of us who enjoy these events please never forget, despite all the measures we make to be safe, it is dangerous and tragedy can occure

9. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Incredibly tragic... I just hope his life insurance takes care of his wife and child. I've heard you're not covered when at this type of event... but I certainly do not know that for sure.

10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
  11. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Best wishes to family & friends. I was personally involved w/ family of a victim of a horrible crash at a car club event a few years ago. Makes you think twice about your hobby sometimes... Not really - just how fragile life is.

12. Hiney69

Hiney69 Rookie

Apr 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Hiney
    Terrible news...RIP

13. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Maybe these threads should be combined?

14. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is sooo sad. I can't believe I'm reading something like this again.
    My condolences to both families and friends.

Dave
    Indianapolis

15. Stolit

Stolit Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    La Habra Heights, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Very tragic. My condolences to their families.

16. f355al

f355al Karting

Jun 23, 2004
    Los Angeles area
    Full Name:
    Uncle Al
    Very sorry to hear that two fellow enthusiasts passed on under these circumstances, we can only hope that they didn't suffer. Hemmingway would have understood.

Condolences to their families.

Al

17. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    #117 beast, Jun 3, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Can't even respect the guy enough to remove your precious ****ing tag from the picture. Nice. Real nice.

19. azbobbybooshay10

Jun 4, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Bobby Patricca
    On behalf of the members of 1320stangs.com (Arizona Mustang group), az240sx.org (Arizona Nissan 240SX group), and Arizona NECO (Arizona New Edge Cougar Owners), I would like to offer my thoughts and prayers to everyone involved.

Sometimes attitudes are different between different "car genre's" (import, domestic, exotic, etc.), but we all know we are CAR ENTHUSIASTS!!! Whether we drive a Hyundai or a Ferrari, a Chevy or a Porsche, a Honda or a Lambo, we all share one thing: our love for cars.

So whenever one of us loses our life enjoying our cars, its a tragedy for the entire car community. IMO, the car hobby is the greatest hobby in the world, but it is also a dangerous one. From a battery exploding in your face to crashing while at the track, the dangers are there all the time. And sometimes, even after all proper precautions are made, an incident can occur, and its all over in the blink of an eye.

Everyone, be safe out there.

Once again, my condolences to everyone involved. I'll be saying an extra couple prayers tonight.

Bobby Patricca
    Website Administrator, Arizona NECO (azneco.com)
    Member: 1320stangs.com, az240sx.org, 240sxforums.com.

20. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Terrible terrible news. My heartfelt condolences to their families. May they rest in peace.

21. ponyup360

ponyup360 Rookie

Feb 15, 2004
    Huntington BEach, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jerry Lotter
    It is with deep sadness that I write this. Cory was a friend! True friends are few and far between. I was at the track with him and I have spent the last 36 hours running the day over and over in my mind. This is very hard. In the end this was a terrible accident and a terrible twist of fate. I can remember everything which happened from the time Cory drove into the speedway in front of me to having his car loaded on a trailer to ship back to La jolla. Why did he get in the car? His new Lambo was overheating again after a few laps and was he pissed. He was thinking about buying a CGT so he jumped in the passenger seat with Ben for a hot lap. I was in the garage preparing to get to pregrid in "B" group when someone told me the CGT hit a barrier. When I went down there we had no idea there was a passenger for about 15 minutes. When we found out there was a passenger I immediately asked where Cory was and they told me he was in the car with Ben. You can only imagine how hard the balance of the day was. Going back to the garage and seeing his car there with the drivers side door open as if he just got out. The shock has worn off and I am left with incredible saddness. I want to personnally thank every person who has posted such nice words about Ben and Cory. They were both "true" to there passion. I am sure that everyone of us has learned something from this and that is what will keep me going. Thanks for listening!

22. russell

russell Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    sacramento
    Full Name:
    russell
    very sad day and may god be with them and their family.

23. greyghost

greyghost Rookie

Dec 31, 2004
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Britt McTammany
    There are alot of threads at 6SpeedOnline commemorating and memorializing Ben Keaton and Cory and you are all welcome to say you part. I also created a memorial avatar, pleae feel free to use it for a few days out of respect.

Britt

24. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    R.I.P. Ben and Corey and condolences to both families.

25. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    It is always shocking because it just happens so quickly in a track event. My condolences to the family and friends.