Door Ding...and the aftermath | FerrariChat

Door Ding...and the aftermath

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 410SA, Jun 6, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I drive my 575 almost on a daily basis. Part of my daily routine is to stop in at the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf for a drink and catch up on voice mails and messages.

Last week I was sitting at a table outside the door right across from my car parked in the 2nd spot from the side, leaving an empty spot on the passenger side. A couple of minutes later a white CLK pulls into the spot and an older man gets out without really coming anywhere near my car as he opened the door. I was on the phone with a friend when the man comes out juggling his coffee and his cellphone. He proceeds to open his door and because both of his hands are somewhat occupied, he puts his knee on the inside of his door and swings it open, right onto my door.
    I see this, not quite believing that someone could be so unaware of the consequences of trying to swing his door open with his knee right next to a car!
    His door bounces off of mine and he casually leans into his car, puts down his coffee and gets in to drive away!!! I jumped up and yelled at him to stop. He seemed surprised and I said to him."hey, you just banged my door". He looked really surprised and said "Oh, I'm sure it's nothing."

Well, he hit the door right on the crease and broke the paint as well. I was really mad and asked him for his name. He told me to calm down and said he would pay for everything. He proceeds to pull out a tattered DENT WIZARD business card from his wallet and says that they can fix it. Obviously he's been in this position before. "No way" I say and proceed to lecture him on his total carelessness.

Anyway, I went straight from there to the Fcar dealer's body shop and got an estimate - $1,811.00!! The ding was on the crease and could not be pulled out, and the paint was broken requiring a repaint of the door.

After that I went to my office, and had my in-house lawyer draft a simple demand letter along with the estimate, giving him 24 hours to settle, and delivered to his office, which was closed BTW. I called him and left a message saying there was a letter from him at his office.

A few hours later he called back cussing and screaming, saying I was trying to rip him off. I said OK, I'll let my lawyer handle this from here on out.

An hour later, someone else calls claiming to be this guy's assistant and he wanted me to meet him the next day at another body shop (a well known, reputable one that I knew) to get a 2nd opinion. He obviously didn't trust my estimate, but figured that he'd try to get a better price because he had to pay.
    I turned up at the shop next morning and met his "assistant" who it turns out was a personal car services guy, someone who takes car of lazy bastards who are to too busy or whatever to deal with their car stuff like services and repairs etc.

The 2nd shop seemed to know him well and proceded to work up an estimate. Well, whaddaya know, they came in 69 bucks higher than mine.

The car guy and the dinger called me later that day and I received a contrite apology with an offer to get a check to my body shop within an hour. I said "No, let's use yours" because it cost the bum an extra 69 bucks!

I guess the moral of the story is, if you're going to damage someone's car, pay him what he asks or it could cost you more, and you have to wind up apologizing to someone you hate the sight of because they parked their car in place that cost you nearly two grand because you couldn't wait to finish your cell phone call before you opened your car door.

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Glad to hear it worked out well. Could have been worse, he could have pulled a gun on you.

3. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    This guy couldn't hold his latte and his cellphone at the same time. I think a gun in his hands might have caused a hole in his own foot.

4. F1guru

F1guru Karting

Mar 7, 2005
    Orange County, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You did well :)

5. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Do you have any pictures of the dent? I kinda want to see how bad it is that it would cost 1800 to fix

6. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    good for you bro !!!. what do you think the odds are that if you didnt see it happen the guy would of left his info. personally i think the 1800 bucks is a good price to fix a ferrari door ding.

7. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    It is fortunate that you witnessed it or you would have been stuck paying for this fool's laziness. Anyway, glad to hear he got what was coming to him. I had a guy back into my car (not the Ferrari thankfully) a few months ago while I was eating lunch, and he put a nice ding in the front bumper. He was sure to seek me out and apologize. Then he made sure the car was fixed at a local shop and was very nice about the whole thing. It is funny because the guy who hit my car did not have alot of money to pay for the repair. You would think that a guy with an expensive Mercedes would have more class, but sometimes it is apparent that money makes some people less happy and more obstinant.
    BT

8. pdiack

pdiack Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    Dents can be quite costly if done "right". I had an idiot do about the same thing (this was at a Starbucks) and it hit the crease on my car and "broke" the paint. The body shop indicated the cost would be approximately $1500. In my case, however; the guy took off before I realized what happened and his car had NO tag.

To carry on with Judge4re's theme - it could have been worse, could have been one of your other cars!

9. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    First let me say I'm happy for you that it all worked out in the end. But could someone explain to me how the US legal and insurance system works? In The Netherlands I'm sure the same scenario wouldn't have worked out if I didn't have an eye witness or if I didn't call the cops! Maybe it says something about our Dutch society but sadly that's how it works here. I can tell from experience.

Ciao, Peter

10. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    First of all sorry to hear about the incident but glad you really taught the guy a lesson. Luckily you were there otherwise it would be a sad story.

11. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    good for you

i hate jerks like that

12. LNR

LNR Karting

Apr 28, 2005
    Chino, CA
    Full Name:
    Lyndon
    I can't believe people's lack of respect for other's property. For them it's just a car. Yeah, big deal it's just a ding......Well good for you for getting paid for the damage he caused. Although now your car has a repainted door which sucks.

I remember a guy dinged my car. I asked him for $200 to fix. He called BS. I got estimates from 3 body shops quoting around $500 give or take. The guy didn't want to pay up calling me a liar after he clearly dinged my car while I was in it. Anyway, I take him to small claims and won.....to get my judgement, I had to go to his employer and file wage garnishment to finally get my money. A lot of effort on my part but worth it in the end.

13. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Glad it all worked out. I think the moral of the story is not to park your car near a place where people are constantly coming and going and paying little attention. If you do then it's only a matter of time til someone dings it.

They just put a new Coffee Bean near my place and the parking lot is a constant buzz of people. I park over in the other lot ;)

14. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh oh, I hope Karen doesn't see this thread! She will never drive her car again.
    Alex, good work, lucky you saw the fool. I try and avoid busy lots for that very reason. Hope the paint work goes well.

15. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Glad it all worked out for you. stupid people all over the place...

16. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    Way to go Alex. Those unthoughtful door bangers should be liable and held accountable. Good work.

17. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I had a lady ding my Porsche Carrera right in front of me once. I said "lady, this car cost me alot of money, I'd appreciate you not slamming your door into it". She gets pissy and says "my car costs just as much as yours". Thinking quick I shot back, "Oh, I didn't realize that, in that case BANG AWAY!". The look on her face was priceless.

18. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Never give encouragement to an idiot.

Jack

19. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Even though the guy was an inconsiderate a--, I think you should suck it up and forget about it. So what if your car got dinged? Every car gets door dings.

If you can't live with the consequences of everyday life, you shouldn't be out there, IMHO.

20. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON

NICE COMMENT, PLEASE DUE CALL US WHEN YOUR CAR GETS CRACKED UP, THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF RESPONSES FOR YOU!!

NICE GOING..............

21. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    well my opinion goes like this. not every car is carefully parked like an exotic, or babied like an exotic. people dont drive their exotic everyday because of just that, its an exotic. so when something happens as little as a car door ding its that much more of a bi^ch. its all about respect ! even if its not an expensive car theres no reason to fling open your door only to ignore the car next you. as far as sucking up and forgetting it, BULL !, the dude did the right thing as far as confronting the guy that dinged the door. when this happens to your ca,r like bruce said, be sure to post it,the feed back will be quite interesting. just my opinion......

22. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    "suck it up and forget about it"---------
    Just proves there are a--"s on this board as well as out there defacing property of others.

23. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

This guy couldn't hold his latte and his cellphone at the same time. I think a gun in his hands might have caused a hole in his own foot

Good one Alex !!.......I can't stop laughing.........but he still would have gotten away anyways as he was driving an automatic. I hate people who don't have a basic modicum of respect for other people's property (Hyundai or Ferrari....it doesn't matter).

24. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I got dinged a couple of weeks ago (not a Ferrari though). Your story makes me feel a little better now that at least one of these careless b@stards has been taught a good and expensive lesson.

25. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    That's way I stay clear of parking lots. Of course anything can happen anywhere but parking lots will certainly sway the odds.