Awards given @ Oak Street | FerrariChat

Awards given @ Oak Street

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by sklitz11, Jun 6, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sklitz11

sklitz11 Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2004
    D.P. Illinois
    Full Name:
    Vince C.
    I went to the Oak Street event yesterday to take in the sights and sounds. Being that I did not bring my car I thought I would just go as "Joe Schmo".
    Maybe you guys can help on this:
    Why is it awards are given to owners that have brand new cars (I.E. f430)?
    I always thought the purpose for those awards would be for older cars that were well taken care of by the owners. Can you guys provide some insight on this?

Thanks!
    Vince.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually most of these shows divide the cars into different classes by age and type (e.g. cylinders) to give everybody a shot at a trophy. So a F430 does not compete against eg. a 308 under normal circumstances.

Personally I think it is only fair to include modern/brand new cars. After all those owners should have an incentive too to come to such a show. As a member of the audience I WANT to see the latest and greatest from Maranello just as I want to see the classic cars. It is not just about preservation/restauration, it is also about bringing out your toys and show them.

3. sklitz11

sklitz11 Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2004
    D.P. Illinois
    Full Name:
    Vince C.
    I agree...
    I want to see all of the latest and greatest toys as well. I would imagine most guys would be open to show off a car like that. As far as the awards go I guess I'm just coming from a different angle on this. For someone to bring a car to a show out of the showroom and win an award just did not make sense to me. That is just me I guess. Owning a modern F-car is reward enough I think.
    That is just my $0.02

Thanks!

Vince

4. Mike E.

Mike E. Rookie

Dec 16, 2003
    Park Ridge Ill.
    Full Name:
    Miike Epifanio
    The winners at sundays show were done by owners voting for the cars that they liked best. Each owner was given a ballot and asked to pick a car in each class and for best of show.The car with the most votes was first and so on. This was NOT a FCA judged concours, that will be in two weeks at Indy.

5. sklitz11

sklitz11 Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2004
    D.P. Illinois
    Full Name:
    Vince C.
    Thanks for your input Mike.
    I was under the impression the voting was done by a selected few. I'm glad you guys are here to keep me in check..

6. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    From what I remember, there were very few classes at Oak St., for instance all 12 cylinder cars were up against each other, from 365, to 512BB to TR to Enzo. That's a little too broad of a category. I think the Doral Italian car show had different generations of each engine sizes broken down a little more.