OBD Scanner vs. Reader | FerrariChat

OBD Scanner vs. Reader

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by BoulderFCar, Jun 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    What is the difference between an OBDII scanner vs. reader? Thanks.

2. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    A Code reader reads and can erase OBD2 trouble codes. A scanner can read/erase codes but can also pull live, realtime data. Get a scanner over a code reader. They are much better. Live data can help you diagnose the problem.

3. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks. Can the scanner read much with the Ferrari proprietary SD sysytem?

4. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I should have said do much with the realtime data. I've watched the SD system when it was on my 355. I don't know that I trust all of the data and sensors but there is a lot of iinformation there. However, I thought it could only be viewed with the Ferrari system.

5. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I don't own a 355 so I can't comment. I have a scanner and it reads live data off of every car I have ever connected it to. Some cars have more data available but it still can read the data. No it won't be as specific as the factory's tools but it is better than nothing. For example it will provide you with timing, rpm, coolant temp, tps absolute %, Voltage at battery, fuel trims both short term and long term, 02 sensor values (very useful in my book), and many other items. Yes, these should/will work with your 355. You probably won't get so specific as: miles driven since last codes cleared, ignition cycles since codes last cleared, etc. IMO a scanner wins hands down over a code reader.

6. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Done. it's only a $50 delta between the two. I was curious.