Durable 1 WP Rebuild | FerrariChat

Durable 1 WP Rebuild

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RussF, Jun 6, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RussF

RussF Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Anyone have any experience with Durable 1's rebuild of a 328 water pump. Spoke with Kermit and though I am skeptical of the advantage of porting, it does appear that the rebuild of the thermostat and WP seems like a good deal. Especially so since you do not have to pry off the Thermostat. He does that.

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    FYI, once off the car, it took Tod @ Continental 5 minutes to pull my WP apart. Shaft was pitted. Replaced. Put in new seals. About 15 minutes on the reassembly.

I can't comment on any advantage to porting it. If it was working fine, why bother?

Also, If I spent incremental money on the cooling system, I'd buy a better radiator.

Philip

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Philip, agreed and in fact that is the next 'toy' for the car.

4. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    FWIW, When my water pump went south I called T Rutlands and they shipped a new one for a fair price.
    The original lasted over 20 years and worked just fine.
    I also second the radiator upgrade when time comes.
    I installed an aluminum radiator with shroud and twin Spal electric fans
    along with adjustable thermostat control, so I can have the fans come on at what ever temp I decide rather than a fixed temp of say 195 degrees.
    The car never gets hot, even when pushed on the hottest summer day.
    And as silly as it my sound, I picked up the equivalent of free horsepower by dropping weight.