550 engine heating up passanger compartment | FerrariChat

550 engine heating up passanger compartment

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by goldyF355, Jun 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. goldyF355

goldyF355 Formula 3

May 30, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Steve G.
    Hey all,

Recently traded in my 355 for a 2001 550, and I couldnt be more pleased. I am extremely happy with all aspects of the car, drive and look etc,...except for 1 thing. It seems that when I take the car out for a good,long boot the heat from the front mounted engine is felt in the passenger compartment to an uncomfortable degree.

Let me specifiy by saying the engine is well within parameters,water temp,oil temp and pressure are all fine,as well as air circ system completely shut off(stop button depressed)...it just gets a little stifiling driving it with the windows down and a warm summer night outside (it would probably be a plesant experience if it was cooler or chilly out,lol !)

I guess I could do up the windows and hit the AC, but I would be deprived of the engine/exhaust sound that is such a part of the ferrari driving experience.

Any tips,help or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,

Goldy

2. teachdna

teachdna Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2001
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Robbins
    That engine puts out ALOT of heat. That being said, I haven't really noticed the issue as we have short springs here in Cincinnati!

3. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    i have taken 4 hour trips in my car and i have to say I didnt experience any problems, but i had the windows rolled up and the a/c on. I find the car very comfortable, and I have driven it with the windows down and despite the tubis, the engine "experience" is not what it is in a daytona for example. The driving pleasure is huge.

4. goldyF355

goldyF355 Formula 3

May 30, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Steve G.
    I cant believe Im the only one who is experiencing this...maybe my engine is running comparativly hot?

Anyways, nice stable of cars Coachi!!...you certainly seem to be the 12 cyl. man about town...I have heard a daytona fully rung out (sadly, not driven though) and I agree...the best "aural" Ive ever had ;)

Goldy

5. mswiek

mswiek Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    I have noticed the same thing to limited degree. If I drive with the A/C off, and the windows open, I will notice that the air coming through the dash vents after a while (engine fully warmed etc.) is slightly warmer than the ambient air I feel coming in through the windows. Had it checked a couple of times, and the heater valve is closing completely etc. Incoming air to the dash vents is being warmed slightly as it passes by the firewall. Not a hige problem, but when temps get above 75-F outside, if I want the windows closed, I usually turn on the AC.

Mike

6. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Steve,

You are not the only one. 575 does the same thing. At first I was alarmed and had all the bell and whistles checked. To be honest, it never bothered me as its a summer car and it was only really tough come hot sunny days. Another odd ball effect is grimey windows when left in the garage too long, ( which as you know the rear inside is a pai to clean. ) A friend and ower of a late model 512TR just said leave the windows open a crack.

Like the rest have stated, just crack the a/c on or drive with the windows down. Regardless, enjoy your new car with all the sights, sounds and senses it gives you.

RocketBoy

7. F5506M

F5506M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I used to drive my 550 on very hot days with the windows down just get the a/c on all the time with a fan speed on 1. Does not make too much noise and keeps the car cool inside.

8. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Looks like the heat is a feature, not a defect.

Ken

9. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    When i rode in a Maranello i noticed this as well, but it was greatly appreciated. Just added to the whole ambiance of the worlds greatest car.

10. goldyF355

goldyF355 Formula 3

May 30, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Steve G.
    Thank you all for the responses...its nice to know I'm not hallucinating or experiencing a unique engine problem.

I guess I'll just consider it a "heated seats" option I didnt pay for and get over it...its not that big of a deal considering all the other positive aspects the car has to offer :)

Thx again,

Goldy