97 355 for 30K pounds | FerrariChat

97 355 for 30K pounds

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Two 512tr's, Jun 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Two 512tr's

Two 512tr's Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Matt Gibbon
    #1 Two 512tr's, Jun 9, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    hi all
    i have recently inspected a 97 355 Spider (silver / red) in the Middle East. It has been owned by a british businessman and appearswell cared for. All numbers check out and it recently had a minor service new suspension actuators fitted.
    Kilometers are high at 57,000klms.
    At 30,000 pounds, do you think it is well priced. What would it be worth to find a similar deal in the UK? Just working out if it is worth the import headache.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Is VAT and or import duty due?

3. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    yes and shipping he has posted carrs on here before

4. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    So it's more like a £40k car, hardly chaep bearing in mind mileage.

5. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    If its a RHD, 40k would be cheap for this spider (if the records were up to date), but maybe not a LHD. What drive is it anyway?

6. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Its not really high mileage - only 35,000 miles !! (=57K Kilometers)

If its RHD, Id say it was definately worth 40-45K! The only thing for me that discounts it to that low price is the colour combo and history - im not a fan.

7. Jonny5

Jonny5 Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    Dubai cars are LHD aren't they?

8. rubystone

rubystone Karting

Mar 11, 2005
    Earth
    I looked at buying that car and mailed him several months ago - can't recall whether it has full history or not though and IIRC the interior needs some TLC. I think it was advertised on the FOC site.

9. Two 512tr's

Two 512tr's Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Matt Gibbon
    hi
    vat is due, that is why i am debating the viability. shipping is negligable.
    it is a lhd, i have just converted a 512tr and 96 vt from lhd to rhd, and am doing a 91 diablo at present. as you can drive lhd in the uk, as aposed to aussie, i will not consider conversion.
    milage is high compared to usa, uk, aussie. but appears low compared to most middle eastern exotics.
    rubystone, refresh my memory when you emailed and i showed you this car, as i only took ownership 2 weeks ago. i did sell a white 348 spider your wayin december. phil was the happy buyer.
    what would the 355 sell for in the uk.
    matt

10. rubystone

rubystone Karting

Mar 11, 2005
    Earth
    I've deleted my old e-mails. What I do remember is that I mailed the guy selling the car at Easter as I told him I'd go and view it on Easter Monday....he mailed me back the day after and told me the car was in the Middle East (he'd neglected to mention that anywhere on the advert!!!) and that VAT etc was payable on it, that the interior needed some attention...I can't recall his name though. At the time IIRC he told me he'd take £27k for it...

11. Jonny5

Jonny5 Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    Matt - how much did it cost to convert the VT to RHD

thanks, Jon

12. Two 512tr's

Two 512tr's Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Matt Gibbon
    rubystone, it must have been martin, the previous owner.

the vt conversion takes around 100 hours and depending on what you do yourself, between 1500 and 3000 pounds.
    the price is quite reasonable unless you buy all rhd lamborghini parts, but as we know most parts are bosch, trw, hella, ect.
    steering rack can be flipped 180deg, but you will need a good machine shop to make up a reverse direction worm drive to aleviate the car turning left when the wheel is turned right. 150pounds.
    brake booster fits straight to the rh side. you need to pull the shaft out and put it in from the other side. this brings the clutch rod levers to the lh side of the brake pedal assembly where they should be. when you put the shaft in from the other side you need to redrill 2 holes for the securing roll pins. 2 hours.
    steering colum is the same. the same mount can be carefully grinded from the lh side and tig welded to the rh side.
    heater box can move straight over to lh side. a new plenum box needs to be made reverse to the original one. original is thin plastic, so it was easier to have an alloy plenum fabricated. 100 pounds.
    the firewall modifications consists of 2 pieces of 4mm steel. no chassis or frame has to be altered. just copy the existing cuttouts on a piece of cardboard, reverse it and fabricate the new pieced. 100 pounds.
    wipers are reletively straight forward. just take it down the local metal shop and get them to make a 180 reverse of the bracket. same motor can be used. it may be possible to reverse the wiper blade assembly, but the time it would take, i just purchased a rhd blade.
    for the dash, there is 3 parts needed, and the diablo replica dash is identical, so i would take this option.
    that is the main parts to the conversion. a few brackets that hold the dash and instruments in place need to be moved accross while the tig is out. the accelerator needs to be moved accorss and a shaft, enclosed in a tube takes it accross to where the existing cable is. this is how lamborghini do it. the ac hoses need to be cut shorter and re crimped as the heater box gets moved over to the left.
    the wiring is a little time consuming. shortening some looms and extending others. i solder and heatshrink all connections as crimping gets bulky with a 40 wire loom.
    send me a private email and i will forward some pics ans any help you may need..

matt

13. Jonny5

Jonny5 Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    E-mail sent, thanks for the info Matt !