348 GTB/GTS v 348 TB/TS | FerrariChat

348 GTB/GTS v 348 TB/TS

Discussion in '348/355' started by angelis, Jun 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    348 GTB/GTS v 348 TB/TS

I'm currently looking at two 348's. A Black 94 GTB and a Red 92 TS, both going for the same price.

I prefer a red GTS/GTB, but there are'nt many around, that's why i'm considering the black one.

How different are each of these two models to drive? Will the GTB be significatly better to drive and better to own than an earlier TS?

2. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Simon, you'll get a lot of responses on this one, but before I throw my 2 cents in - is the Black GTB at Nick Cartwrights? If not, there's on there too.

A GTS or GTB is a better car. Usual stuff, later improvements responding to criticism of handling and some electrics. That said, you'd only notice if you were looking to take the 348 to the limit.

These cars are rare. Prior to buying my 348, I looked for a red 348 GTS - gave up, but there was one for £35K but with 54K miles and from a non Ferrari dealer, so I decided it was best to get a pristine red TS.

My TS is brill. If someone came along with a red GTS, I couldn't give a stuff, but if someone came along with a GTC - that's a different proposition, just get the best 348 you can, and if you only manage to find a mint TS/TB - you'll soon forget searching for the GTS/GTB

3. angel66

angel66 Rookie

Mar 24, 2004
    Yep, it's the one at Nick Cartwrights.

There's also a red GTS at KHPC, but that's £10K more and there's one more GTB I've come across but it's being sold by one of those trade sales places, so I would'nt even bother looking at it.

Like a lot of people I'd like a red one, but did'nt want to perhaps get it and regret not getting the GTB.

If the red TS was a few thousand pounds cheaper, perhaps that would sway me, but at the moment I'm somewhat undecided.

Better than getting a Boxster though.#

Oh...and that's a nice Ts you have there Julian. Can you put the targa behind the seats and still drive it comfortably?

4. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Simon

I would hate to admit it but I'm just a mere 5'8"ish (with platforms!). So for me, the targa's always behind the seat. Anyone taller than 5'9" then I guess the targa would need to stay at home!

Driving positions superb and very comfortable. The seating is a great deal more tighter than the Boxster. Very much depends on your build. Ask Ferrarimadbloke (Leighton). Up until a few months back, he had a lovely 348 spider - Burriana500 now owns it and before then, a 348 TS. Leighton seemed to be most comfortable in his gorgeous 348's, and I would say he's a bigger build than me.

5. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    #5 tommo, Jun 9, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    What color interior is that? The car looks beautiful!

7. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    thanks - the interior is cream with red carpets and overmats, pretty standard stuff, just the addition of an alloy gear knob

8. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    The creme really stands out...Its a beautiful color combo.

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    GTB is the way to go. The GTB/GTS 348's have a taller intake plenum, that helps with the intake airflow. They also have a higher compression ratio at 10.8:1 as compaired to the rest of the 348 which are 10.4:1. The GTB/GTS were amoung the last run of the 348's so they have all the rest of the upgrades like, single can exhaust, spyder ecu's (higher redline 7,800rpm), wider off set for the rims to help with high speed stabillity, the battery moved to the front of the car for improved ballance. They were originally only offered in Europe. The GTB/GTS are closer to a true 320hp than the rest of the later 348's, accept the Competizione model which I think was in the area of 340hp, but I'm not for sure on that. They also went to a single plate clutch, which be cheaper to replace when the time comes. They had a lower gear ratio, in the first few gears, to help with acceleration times. They had the 355 axles, which have a sealed cv joint on one side, and are lighter. Plus seeing that you are in England, we do know how it likes to rain alot. The targa tops on the ts/gts models leak like a son of a gun. At least mine does. So if you ever get caught in a spring time shower you won't have to worry about the car getting flooded.

Just make sure you get a PPI done at a shop other than the place selling it. Find out when the last time was that the belt service was done. If they don't have paper work to back up the job, consider it as not having been done. You can also use that to negociate the price down if it hasn't been done.

10. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    What is the current going rate for a RHD red 348 Spider? And does anyone know of any available? That's a model I am very seriously considering vs the 360 Spider.

Jas

11. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    94 berlinettas were the best 348's made. Period. I had a US model, it was much better than the earlier cars.

Dave

12. angel66

angel66 Rookie

Mar 24, 2004
    Had a look at a 348 TS and a 328 GTB at Talacrest today. The sales chap Guy Tedder was extremely helpfull and informative.

I found the 328 pedals too offset for my liking.

The 348 seemed a bit cramped with the Targa behind the seats, although to be fair I did'nt drive the vehicle. I'm 6' tall.

However, both cars looked lovely, especially the 348, being the only red car there it really stood out.

My head tells me to get a 328, as it will be less costly to run and will depreciate less. My heart tells me to get a 348 and screw the money as the tax man will only end up getting it anyway.

My Sister however says:

"Why are you getting such an old car!"
    "People will just think you got it because you could'nt afford a newer one!"
    "For £3X,000 you can get a decent car......like a Subaru impreza Turbo!"

This from a woman who lusts after a Nissan 350Z.

So....at the moment I've got it down to three cars...all 348's.

Basically it's....... Black GTB v Red TS

13. angel66

angel66 Rookie

Mar 24, 2004
    Think you're looking at around £35,000 - £38,000.

Personally, I'd get the 360 spider if I had the money.

14. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    oooooops.....Angel66 above is me.

For some reason, my browser auto logged in using my old login details.

Looks like I've been talking to myself. Nothing new there then!

15. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Been looking for a red spider for the last 12 months or so,seen most of the ones that are/have been for sale,I have not found one yet that didn't need a lot of work and wasn't overpriced.But I'm still looking.

16. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Angel, thanks, but about the 355 the thing is that I prefer the looks of the 348 :) I accept the 355 is dynamically the better car though.

Steve, I've only recently started looking. I've yet to drive a 348, and the drive will decide it for me whether to go for the 348 Spider or not.

17. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
  18. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Looked at that one last year.

19. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    No good? Please tell.

20. late348

late348 Rookie

May 27, 2005
    what was wrong with it?

looks good in the photos?

21. henkie

henkie La Passione...
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 13, 2005
    Deil,The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    henkie
    Although I don't like that interior color at all I just watched all the pics carefully and I thought it's a very good looking and maintenanced car.
    How many people for example put their car in those airbags ?

22. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    Yep - I looked at that one last July too but i didn't waste his time going for a ride in it.

Now... if you guys would only finally appreciate the beauty and racing heritage of the colour that is Ferrari Giallo I know where there is a right cracker available... but only after I've taken it down to Spain in August :D

23. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Gotta admit it drove quite well.

24. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Cars always look good in pictures,the reality of seeing them in the flesh is often quite different.

Carcoons help to preserve a cars condition,not improve it.

Steve

25. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It's not really fair of me to comment on the condition of someone else's car on a forum,after all what is rough to me might be mint to someone else.
    All I will say is that it is not the nicest example I've seen,but like anything could be made to be nice if you could get it at the right price.