Garage queens and car collections | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Garage queens and car collections

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by sjb509, Jun 8, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

My 72 Lotus also originally had plastic gas line that modern gas will destroy. I'm surprised the SU's in your car weren't rebuilt with modern gaskets at some point. Since your car seems very original, I would check your gas line; if it's also period, you will have a nice fire sooner or later. Also, any T's in the gas line that are plastic must be replaced with brass. My car has 2 of them, one between the carbs and the other in the twin gas tank line. The latter would be a PITA if it cracked, the former would be a huge fire.

Ken

2. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    Carbon - Somehow, the idea of using the Breadvan to go pick up bread sounds extemely funny and simultaneously very appropriate! :)

3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Carbon, you silly goose, don't you understand that to make enough money to own several Ferrari's you have to work constantly. It leaves very little time for the actual driving of said Ferrari's.

4. JonnyT

JonnyT Karting

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    I've had my 308 for 2 years and put 9,500 miles on it. It now proudly has 93k total. Garage queen? What do you think?

5. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004

That's how I do it too. Plus by also owning a race car trailer I am able to take the older cars on longer trips to Club or DE events to amuse myself and my friends. Sometimes I feel a little wary of myself adopting the 'Merican measure of status, which being "he who dies with the most toys, wins" that seesm to be all to prevalent in the car loving community.

i also confine my collection to only those cars that interest me. Not the ones that might be worth more if the sun rises south of latitiude 35 deg. someday! That way I do not consider them valuable per se and enjoy them for what they are and the way their mechanicals talk to me. Lots of great cars out there, and the new ones are sensational - just dont find them "interesting".

6. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Keep your dream alive.

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Or worse, if you make enough money to buy one a year, you end up being 8000 miles away from your purchases...

8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

That sucks big time. I really enjoy just walking accross the alley to the sactum sanctorium.

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I should be back in March. Getting a 4 post lift so I can keep all three at home.

10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

If that doesn't work out I have room for two more here. Don't worry I hardly ever drive them.

11. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Me, my 550 has over 55,000 miles. Why would I buy a cheap car like the 550 and not drive it? Maybe I should not drive it so the next owner will have a low mileage crap car.

No way Jose. Drive the car or lose it.

12 cylinders or bust.

12. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Dean has one for sale :D

13. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Hey Bart,
    Bring your 550 up to Montana and we will see how many miles a year you put on it dodging snow storms.

14. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Been there, done that! Build another garage. You will never drive whichever car is on the lift! (Too much hassle to move the car out from under it, lower it, get the car off the lift, warm it up, put the other car back in the garage, and go.)

Another question...
    My collector car insurance on the 308 limits me to 2,500 miles a year. Is that considered garage queen status?

The real question here that everyone is dodging: how many miles a year qualifies as "garage queen" status? How many miles must one drive a car in order to keep it in sound operating condition? If you drive your Ferrari every weekend for at least long enough to get the engine good and hot, is that enough? Must you put a minimum number of miles on it? Must you drive it more than one day a week? I'm curious. My 308 only gets driven once or twice a week because the Mondial has 4 seats!

Birdman

15. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004

16. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    The cars are in TN right now, there is room for 9 more. I planned ahead and didn't tell the wife everything.

:)