"New" car...what have I done this time :) | FerrariChat

"New" car...what have I done this time :)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by murph7355, Jun 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #1 murph7355, Jun 10, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After a bit of searching (of the soul and the For Sale ads), moral support and encouragement from fellow Fchatters and an agonising couple of weeks waiting for inspections to come back and for me to get a slot to pick it up, I've finally done it!

Apologise profusely for the crap photography. I've just driven it 200 miles, my arms and legs are aching (wussy power steering on the 355 has spoilt me), my ears are ringing (sticking my head out of the window at speed isn't wise, but that noise! Ah!) and I wanted to get a few quick snaps! I'll do some better ones soon and will be taking it to Auto Italia.

I'm not sure what else to say at the minute. They simply don't make cars like this any more, more's the pity, and my brain (what's left of it) is still trying to assimilate all the sensations.

More when I've calmed down (2017 should do it).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Looks great Andy youve done well there m8, look forward to seeing it on Sunday:D

3. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Man, that is just plain stunning! Well done you....

4. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Andy very nice m8 congrats.

5. rubystone

rubystone Karting

Mar 11, 2005
    Earth
    and it sounds great....how many tanks of fuel did it use eventually Andy?

See you tomorrow

6. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thanks chaps. To say I'm dead chuffed would be an understatement :) And it will be at Auto Italia on Sunday (acts of god notwithstanding).

Ruby - it looks to have used just over half a tank of Optimax. And the book (and delivery invoice!) reckons it takes 26 gallons. Having just checked the odo I've only done 158 miles too. Ooops.

I'm therefore going to re-christen it the Exxon Valdez, both for the amount of oil based products it can carry and the environmentally friendliness of it :)

Incidentally, big thanks to DKE. Professional outfit and quality work. And it's worth buying stuff from there just to see the other kit they have in!

7. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    fabulous!

8. LWR550

LWR550 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    East Sussex
    Beautiful car... truly outstanding.

A Daytona would absolutely be in my dream garage. I would love a 575 and a matching Daytona!

9. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
  10. Jonny5

Jonny5 Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    Sorry to be cheeky, lovely car - how much do they cost?

11. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Lovely motor Andy. Many congrats on the purchase. Sure you'll both have many happy miles together.

R

12. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Just lovely....

13. Jaz

Jaz Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    JAZ
    Car looks lovely Andy. Looks like you will be having fun keeping this one clean…. :)

14. IlyaRU

IlyaRU Karting

May 2, 2005
    Nottingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Ilya
    Wow, congrats! That's just so beautiful! :)

15. boba

boba Karting

May 10, 2005
    Madchester ,U.K.
    Full Name:
    dodgy bob
    the motor looks mint. Welldone have many happy hours getting intamate with the wax ........Zymol I trust? :)

16. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Andy

Beautiful mate, I'm looking forward to seeing it on Sunday :)

17. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    LWR - your garage isn't too shabby anyway is it :) 550s/575s have really grown on me of late. But I wanted something older this time through. Be interesting to compare the two though.

Cheers Barabus - I've been scouring the net for a while. Always good to get more reading matter :) I also have a very fat history file to read through which is superb, and may hopefully be able to get in touch with past owners (if any happen to be on here, please mail me!).

Jonny - prices are a bit all over the place here in the UK at the moment IMO, and look to be on the rise elsewhere. I'm aware of cars that have sold for as "little" as 44k or so, but also of cars up for 130k+. This car was between the two, and further from the 44k ones than my wallet would have preferred.

I did a fair bit of looking round and can say that the cheaper cars tend to be in need of a bit of TLC. Parts for 35yr old cars are not exactly dripping off the shelves, and the skills for fixing them up as they deserve are not cheap. So a cheaper car to be as good as I think this one is would be pricey.

That said, a usable car is probably going to set you back 60-70k. Very nice ones a fair bit more.

I doubt they'll depreciate, and there's so much more character in the older stuff. The down side being that they're quite a bit more draining to drive (in a good way!), and things are likely to go wrong (if I say this enough, hopefully nothing will. Or I'll be ready for it mentally :) ).

Jaz - I was going to talk to you about that :)

Boba - not sure what wax was used this time, but I have a plan :)

Everyone else - thanks very, very much. It's always nice sharing these cars with enthusiasts, and hope to meet a number of you on Sunday!

18. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Andy
    It looks absolutely fabulous!
    I'm envious! I hope it's as stunning to drive as it looks!
    I've always had a thing about 365GTB/4 so much so that I named my daughter after it!:)

19. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    As per most reports you read, the car comes alive at speed (anything over 40mph really, but the faster you go, the more it goads you). And it can pick up speed with surprising alacrity for an old dear.

The steering's only *truly* heavy at parking speeds, but in relative terms (to modern kit) it's bloody heavy all the time :) I quite like this though, and I'm convinced it helps the cars stable feeling at speed.

Noise - very, very different to the modern cars as you'd probably expect. Much more in common with WWII fighter planes than race cars. And you'd have a job to tell what speed the engine's doing without looking at the rev counter. A real silky growl all the way round.

The brakes are a bit...less capable than the engine shall we say. But it's early days and I have an inkling I just have to push harder and have a bit more faith. Not something I wanted to check out fully today!

As you've always had a thing about them, why not get one ;) You won't be disappointed I'm sure.

20. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    Andy, at last, well done fella! The wait is finally over - simply stunning, why can't Ferrari make beautiful cars like this anymore?

21. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    It's very, very tempting to look for one, all I need is the right 6 numbers tomorrow, and I'll be having serious words with the bloke selling that magnificent 2000 odd mile original RHD Spyder!;)

ps where's bloo*y mystic meg when you need her?

22. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Sell the 360 Spider and you're in. At least for a coupe...

23. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Awesome beautiful car Andy - very many congrats - look forward to seeing it on Sunday.

Welcome to the proper V12 club :D

Cheers Kevan
    :) See you down the road - with huge grins on both our faces :)

24. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Glad you got it in time for Sunday, m8 :) See you then and very many congrats.
    T

25. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Wow - stunning car.