I'm not coming to the Vintage area any more... | FerrariChat

I'm not coming to the Vintage area any more...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by murph7355, Jun 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
  2. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    CONGRATS! I'll bet your face hurts from smiling!
    but... uhmm... don't look now but the 12 is in the wrong end!? :D :D

3. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Cheers Murph - the grin is huge. My ears hurt too (travelled most of the way with the window down and the car in 3rd gear!).

I thought it would be one of our Brit contingent who would mention the position of the engine. What if I travel in reverse?

How do Ferrari get a 4.4l V12 to rev to 7.5k so silkily!

4. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    Well done mate.

Tim

5. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Then your neck would hurt!
    I guess you'll have to leave it in the front. Moving it might hurt resale.
    Whoops... I just noticed the wheel's on the wrong side as well.
    Boy, I hope you got a good deal what with the engine and wheel out of place!:D

6. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Cheers Tim - how's yours going?

And are you going to Auto Italia at Stanford Hall (see the UK section for details)?

7. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Beggars can't be choosers :)

You know, it doesn't even have pop up headlights, headrests, stereo, wing mirrors. Life's a bugger sometimes :)

8. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Andy, congratulations...! i think the plexi-nose Daytonas look the best...! Can you tell us a little bit about the car...? Serial number, where you bought it, how many miles, that sort of thing...? Did you keep the 355 or is the GTB/4 replacing it...? Again, congratulations... i hope you enjoy the car... :)

9. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill

Yeah, but it does have heated seats......:D

Now seriously, WOW, nice ride!

10. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Heated seats? You lot have heated seats? Mine have holes in! You'll be telling me next you get central locking and free fuel (my first tank cost the equiv of 165USD and it was 20% full when I started)!!

NNO - thanks mate (and thanks for the info on the other car ;)). The 355 is staying. I have that as my "sensible car", and have grown quite attached to it (a theme with my cars these days - the Caterham 7 stays too). Besides, the Tubi is just starting to age nicely!

Info on the car:

It's serial no. 13931. It was ordered in October 1970 (about 3mths after I was born!) and first registered in the UK on 21st Jan 1971. It has air con and 9" rear wheels.

I believe it's one of 12 RHD plexi cars, though no one has yet been able to confirm the exact number made, and possibly contradictory to this is that it's thought to have been the 25th car into the UK...I guess I'll do some more digging on this at some point.

I'm the car's 5th owner, and I have details on all the other owners, how long they owned the car for etc. I think it won a prize in the FOC UK Concours in the 80s, but again need to confirm this.

It's done 39,328 miles now, after I just put my first 158 miles on it.

It was originally Rosso Bordeaux "Dino" and had a bare metal respray in the 80s (I have the photos). It was also originally ordered with a black leather dash, which the factory didn't fit telling the original owner the car wasn't homologated thus, and the leather dash would be dangerous due to reflections!

As a result, it's not entirely original. But it's a spot on car and I'm pretty sure it's one of the better RHD ones available. I know of two others that are "more original" (one plexi), but in the end I decided I'd start to feel less inclined to use a car like that - this one has good patina, but as it's been resprayed once I won't get as tearful with stone chips etc!

I bought the car from the guys at DK Engineering in the UK. They are well respected Ferrari people, especially for the vintage stuff. They have some truly mouth watering kit there, including more than anyone's fair share of 250s and 275s! Good guys.

I've got a ton more info to wade through that came with the car, including all sorts of price lists and servicing costs through the years.

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Andy, WOW...! What an awesome reply, full of information...! Thank you...! Your car was owned by a gent named Stubberfield for a while, back a few decades... Email me whenever you get the chance, [email protected]...

Also - if i'm not pushing my luck here - can i ask what the serial number is on your 355...? :)

12. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Andy, great Daytona! seems you are also well informed on the cars history as well. way to go :)

13. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Peter Stubberfield is, I believe, the President of the FOC UK and has been deeply involved for some time. He owned the car until around March 1983. It then changed hands again in November 1983 and lastly in the late 90s.

Once I get to the bottom of the history file I'll send you anything interesting NNO.

I don't have the 355's serial number to hand, but if you want it, am happy to provide it (and any other info of interest). You're going to have some way to go to get a complete list of 355s though :)

I was lucky with the history - it seems that all the guys owning it saved a healthy percentage of their records. And the pros who have touched the car were all well respected and diligent on history. I suppose it's stuff like this that ends up adding to the price ticket :)

Hopefully I'll learn a lot more about these cars over the next few years.

14. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i would love to know everything about your 355; data plate, assembly number, pictures, etcetera... Also, anything else you found out about your new Daytona, as well... :)

It certainly sounds like an extensively documented history... Very cool...

15. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Love the exclamatory plate!

Great summation you wrote, as well. And there's more? Yow!

Car buff... check!
    History buff... check!
    Car buffed... check!
    Up to snuff... check!
    Up to speed... check!
    Sold... check!

Check... clear!
    Defibrillator... clear!
    Road... clear!
    Sinuses... clear!
    Plexi... clear!
    Don't need Scientology to become... clear!

16. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL...!

17. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Congratulations, goregous car!!!

18. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    :)

I also like the plate.

Though it's bordeline brummy accent (an English accent from the Midlands and perhaps the worst in the country - which I'm allowed to say as my mother's from there!).

19. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Sweet! Congratulations!

I've been seeking a Daytona for 3 years now and bought a 550 instead...still looking for a 12cyl vintage F car though...

Again, congratulations!

Roy

20. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very, Very cool!!!

21. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Are you home...? Welcome back...! How was your trip...?

22. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Not worthy :) But thanks!

23. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thanks Roy - what made you stop looking?

550s are lovely mind.

24. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Congrats. from me as well. I have sn 13931 listed on the Registry at http://daytonaregistry.com/. I hope you register your beautiful Daytona along side this dream car. All the best, Paul

25. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    Unfortunately not going to Auto Italia but it sounds a good crack.

Have ordered a Larini sports exhaust and am having it fitted next week by a local-ish garage, Mike and Graham Reeder in Wiltshire. Does anyone else have any experience of them? Will let you know how the exhaust goes.

Tim