recent article of current Ferrari market in Sports Car Market magazine | Page 2 | FerrariChat

recent article of current Ferrari market in Sports Car Market magazine

Discussion in '308/328' started by parkerfe, Jun 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Now that I think about it my 308 actually has a much much higher then normal value because it will take a ridiculous amount of money to get me to part with it.

2. LT-1

LT-1 Karting

May 13, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Robert

Guess I should get rid of my AMC Gremlin.....

3. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Also remember that these cars are concentrated in pockets - while you guys in the US seem to have more 308's than socks, guess how many carbed, GTS are in the register here in Aus? 33, with most of those listed as 'previously' owned; 'currently' owned lists 13, that's right THIRTEEN. Even if you tripled that for 'unknown' cars, my guess is there will always be more than 40 people out of 20m wanting one of these. And no, they won't be getting mine! Not for a very long time anyway.

Funny exchange at the servo yesterday:
    "Nice car - what is it?"
    "Ferrari 308GTS"
    "Is that the new model?"
    "Umm, no that car is 25 years old..."

4. JJJJJS

JJJJJS Karting

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I also see the 308/328 series going up in value in the next decade. The 308 IS Ferrari to the Joe Public. I've had just as many people who were under 20 years old recognize my 308 as I've had people over 60 recognize it. The majority of the younger generation seems to think that it's new even. These cars are also going to be harder and harder to find. Most of the ones out there right now have been modified in some way already, and in ten years it's going to be near impossible to find one unmolested. The other factor will be people of my generation becoming financially able to afford a Ferrari in the next decade. Many of them are going to be lusting after the cars they dreamed about when they were kids. I could have bought a different model , a TR, a 355 or something, but I went for the 308 simply because it's what I dreamed about as a little kid. I had the model cars, the posters, and sat around the TV to watch Magnum back in the 80's and so did millions of others.

Of course, if prices did go down I might be able to get away with paying less than $350 a month for insurance. Wouldn't that be nice!

5. tifosi013

tifosi013 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2005
    Fresno, Cal.
    Full Name:
    Larry Powell
    IMHO there isn't a 1980 "anything" that is selling for much over what a 3X8,
    or any other Ferrari, does on the collector car market. That includes Corvette
    and Mustang. Most muscle cars were "dead" by then.

Premium cars have always commanded, well.......a Premium. Ferraris will
    appreciate because of that. Of course, don't plan your retirement around
    the sale of your 1979 3X8. It is not, and never will be, a 250-TR or a 1958 California Spider. For the 3X8 and yes, even Mondial, it's early in the game.

I passed on a beautiful #250-GT Pininfarina coupe in the mid seventies for
    $ 4,000.00. Wished I hadn't.

"Monday morning quarterbacks always win, but the pay is low".

6. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Good thread.

I'd guess that the 308 and Mondial models are where the 60's 2+2's were 20 years ago -- the supply is undergoing very rapid attrition due to the same factors: market indifference to "production" Ferraris, poor maintenance, frequent ownership changes, parting out of basket-case cars and cars presently financially unfeasible to bring back, etc.. Demand is maybe not so perceptible, but is silently and slowly approaching critical mass.

My crystal ball doesn't work and I can't venture an opinion as to a time when the market for these lower-end Classic-era Ferraris will do what the market for the lower-end 60's cars has done in the past few years: stabilize and enter an upward trend.

One certainty: Automotive Darwinism will eventually prevail as it did for the 60's cars. The surviving good 308's and Mondials will be very desirable and relatively plentiful and affordable classics.

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Stop making everyone think that 308s and Mondials are appreciating. At least wait until I can find a 308 GTB and a Mondial Cabriolet at a reasonable price...

8. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    i think the 348s will do well in appreciation , because of the unmistakable door grates . it grabs everyones eyes -instantly they think ferrari.
    (of course i think this , because i own one:)

9. LT-1

LT-1 Karting

May 13, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Robert
    There are several 'Icon' cars, that no matter how fastest/biggest/bestest they were, people will view them as 'The Best Of The Breed'. The 308 is one of those cars along with the 246 Dino, Porsche Turbo Carrera & 356 Speedster, Countach, mid '60s Vettes, '65-69 Mustang...
    They may not necessarily be the choice of the purist, but those are the cars that the public associates with each manufacturer. I'm not saying 308 prices will soar, but there will ALWAYS be someone stepping up to the plate to make that purchase.