FerrariChat.com: Should Rob have an Admin and personal id? | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com: Should Rob have an Admin and personal id?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Jun 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should Rob have two user accounts?

1. No

2. Yes - Admin & Rob Lay

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Would like to see what the community thinks. I started FerrariChat.com and enjoy the community as a user, but more and more there are issues I have to deal with that cross the line between personal and administrative. A possible solution besides me not posting as a user all-together is having two accounts.

I would have an Admin account and keep Rob Lay for personal that wouldn't have the Admin title. The other option is for me to start a new personal id and not publicize that it is me.

Please let me know your thoughts and vote.

Thanks,
    rob

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Nope.

You are you, and you are the owner. Trying to separate the two is futile, as your second account would inevitably be outed anyway.

You should try to hide your id better on other boards though :D

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    If you create an unknown identity, 2 things in various permutians will happen:

Rampant threads/speculation/gossip/girlie-man chatter/double-standard comparisons/conspiracy theories.

Rampant duplicate accounts pretending to be you, using your written "style."

Either way, thhhhhhhht.

______

Just say, "This is the good Rob account. Over there is my evil twin account."

Which one is good or evil is entirely up to you and the rampant thread-creators/speculators/gossips/girlie-men chatters/double-standard compar-um, -ors/conspiracy theorists.

BTW, I'm glad you're doing this, as you will be able to separate the joys from the headaches.

4. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I think you're fine set up as both Admin and User in one.

5. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Rob,
    I would keep you, you. What kind of issues are you having? Have you tried fixing the issues? I think that would be better than just seperating them. in the end do what makes you happy.

6. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I agree with the posts so far. You've always been a straight shooter - even if has meant making the tough calls for the benefit of the FChat community. I wouldn't stop now. One ID would seem to work.

Perhaps you can shed more light on the personal versus admin issues. Where is the tension? How would you approach issues differently in either camp? Maybe understanding the conflict you are facing by way of specific examples might allow us to better articulate a solution.

At face value, though, I'd say keep one ID.

7. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #7 Sfumato, Jun 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    CEO's delegate a$$-kicking to COO's. Pilot ship, have final say, but use admin and mods as discrete hammers. Delete single posts, PM's, etc.
    MarkPDX is great mod IMHO, as well as a friend I rarely see. But, it is a big burden on one guy. I would divide things up a bit, maybe have an advisory group(not necessarily Mods). Mein zwei pfennig. I'd gladly offer to be advisor, but keep real group fairly anonymous.
    How's your race season going BTW?
    Lee
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Agree completely. You're very fair and as others have said a straight shooter. No need to try and seperate who you are.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Well, I'm a very passionate and intense individual. I don't hide anything about who I am or what I believe. Maybe that isn't the best for the official "admin" role.

10. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    LMAO!!! TILL THAT WAS FUNNY!!

Rob, I agree with Till, no need to clone yourself! Stay the way you are!

11. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Geee...... I wonder who this new Lob Ray guy is, he claims to have a 355 a 328 and a hot wife from Kansas...... Let's see a pic of today's newspaper next to the VIN. ;)

Since any of the mods could figure out Rob's second identity in about 30 seconds I don't think it needs to be kept some kind of hush hush secret. Rob will still want to interact with folks in the TX section which would blow his cover anyway. I think the key is just having a little seperation between the Admin bit and the everyday Rob bit. My suggestion would be to keep Rob Lay as your normal user everyday account and strip all the admin tools away from it, just be a normal Rossa member. Set up the new account to be your admin profile as something else.... other than the newsletters and occasional things the admin doesn't really need to be a public figure.

I dunno how you like to juggle your passwords and all that but I like to have different accounts associated with different browsers. For instance I have several Hotmail and GMail accounts and I hate having to log off and log on so I just have my MarkPDX accounts logged on with Netscape, my other accounts are logged on with Firefox and I even have a few that are logged on in IE.

12. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

An idea that I've seen on an unrelated board is an annonymous poster called "watch dog." Watch dog is the enforcer for the board. You know it's the guy that runs the place but at least he doesn't have to appear to be the bad guy. Maybe "watch dog" could be a collective effort of Rob and the mods?

13. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I told Kitty Fishsticks on you..

I voted for split IDs.

14. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Rob,

I understand you have been conflicted over recent events. I'll support what ever you want regarding two ids. Personally I don't think it's necessary. Unfortunately you can't separate yourself. Someone earlier suggested delegating the "hammer" and I think that's the responsible thing to do. I think you'll know when you need to step in. Rob, it's lonely at the top.... I did not make that phrase up. I hope you and PeterS get the issues resolved but hey, if you don't, you have to move on. I look forward to seeing you as Rob Lay.

One note about your last post about being "passionate" and "intense"...... If you recognize these character traits, it would probably benefit you to let an hour pass before responding to a post that gets you "passionate" or "intense"

15. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth

I like this idea...

16. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Isn't having multiple IDs a violation of the FC rules? ;)

I've found this to be excellent advice. It lets you provide a reasoned response, instead of the kind of rants that rage provides. And it gives you time to put a real cuttin' edge on your reply. :p

And usually, after considering an inflammatory post, I find that there's little point in responding at all. By the time someone is engaged in pushing your buttons, there's little point in communications ... it's devolved into posing. Not responding tends to chill down both parties. It's not as immediately gratifying as giving the perp twenty lashes; but it's far more constructive, which has some gratification in itself.

17. Kleos1

Kleos1 Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    Urbandale Iowa
    Full Name:
    Garry Haas
    Rob, what if you have to ban yourself
    Could be fun, in a strange sort of way :D

18. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Sarbanes Oxley baby, SARBOX. Yeah, FCHT isn't exactly on the Nasdaq, but the point remains. I vote for one account.

Rob = Admin = Fchat founder = big daddy = Rob.

-d

19. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

One Rob Lay ID is plenty.

According to a few, one is too many. :D

Leave it alone, it's working. 5 years, 6, whatever; and how many times have you had a run in that made you think about just being the admin and not posting.

If it's more than 500, then consider it. Otherwise, NAH!!

Besides, as many have said, your distinct writing style will no doubt out you if you go anon., and having a second ID to try and separate your personalities is gonna make you the Sybil of FerrariChat. First you have 2 ID's, then 3, who knows where it would go.

In all seriousness, one ID is the way to go.

DM

20. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Keep you, you.

No need to split hairs over this. You paid more for Ferrarichat then a 5 year membership to Rossa. If you want to flame as a admin go for it. It's your sandbox, backyard, gi joe's and marbles. If someone does not like that that admin flamed them then tough **** I say.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Mark and Tillman have tried before. :) Doesn't work for some reason.