348 oil advice | FerrariChat

348 oil advice

Discussion in '348/355' started by drbill, Jun 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drbill

drbill Karting

Nov 14, 2004
    new york
    my 1994 348 spider had major svc in 2/2005. i have put on 1000 miles since-how often should i check oil and add oil to car? what oil do you guys recomend using and when is next oil change due? thanks for advice.

2. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Each 348 burns oil differently...most burn very little, however, so as you get to know your car you start to get a feel for how often to check (e.g. once per month).

Keep in mind that our 348's have a Dry Sump oil system, so you only check the oil level when the engine is H O T hot!

If you overfill even slightly, you'll get white puffs of smoke out of your exhaust, too. Ask me how I know.

3. RickDay246

RickDay246 Karting

Sep 10, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rick Day
    check your manual also. I believe it recommends once yearly, even with low miles. Check oil when hot. I drive mine 3-4 times a month and check the oil about once a month. Using Castrol 20-50 Racing I think. Kendall also pretty good. Manual gives you proper mileage and timing intervals.

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Mazola corn oil. It's biodegradable and is low in colestorol. Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahaaaaaaahahaaaaa.

5. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

The manual says to check the oil immediately upon shutting off the engine.

The manual says to check it every 500 km, which is about every 310 miles. That's probably a little often... check every 500 miles and you'll be fine. My 348 happens to not burn any oil at all, but then again you know how I drive!

By the way, many 348ers and 355ers are using Mobil1 0W-40 oil... maximum protection for both hot and cold situations. Do a search on this board if you're interested in learning more about the 0W-40 oil -- there are a lot of oil threads. :)

6. henkie

henkie La Passione...
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 13, 2005
    Deil,The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    henkie
    I have done about 1200 miles with my car now.
    Checked the oil several times as I didn't know what to expect.
    No lost of oil noticeable.

All Ferrari's are running on 0W40 and 0W30 here, fully synthetic.
    The dealers work only with Shell and a bit Agip.

7. ny348

ny348 Rookie

Mar 25, 2005
    NY
    thanks to everyone for the help.

8. livingthedream

livingthedream Karting

Jun 3, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathon
    How far up the dipstick is the "perfect fill"? All the way to max? Half way between min and max? Any thoughts?