Danica Patrick in Formula 1? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Danica Patrick in Formula 1?

Discussion in 'F1' started by HobbsTC, Jun 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thanks.

I toyed with also mentioning previous US entrants, but thought it best for a limey not to raise it as it was only partially relevant :)

Also, I'm not sure we ever fully saw the best Zanardi could do. He had a couple of goes that could, arguably, have been said to go nowhere because of the machinery/team around him. But then all drivers have to put up with the same I s'pose.

2. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Indeed, Sarah got a raw deal. DP and SF even have the same number of wins to date.

Sarah has even driven a F1 car, in an exhibition at the 2002 USGP. Some press from then:

The chances of Fisher making it to F1 eventually would appear to be remote, however, with McLaren team principal Ron Dennis saying last month that he could not envisage a woman racing in the championship.

"I think that, over-simplifying it, oval racing is a very different type of racing to circuit racing," he said. "(F1) requires different abilities and I think those abilities are more challenging for a woman to fulfill than for a man. I think it is very difficult for a woman to be competitive in Formula One."

And now:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,15568343%255E23770,00.html

Schuey backs woman for F1
    From correspondents in Montreal

WORLD champion Michael Schumacher wants Indianapolis 500 success story Danica Patrick to be given here chance in Formula One.

American Patrick has been thrown into the limelight after finishing fourth in the classic United States Indy Car race two weeks ago, the highest a woman has finished in its history.

And Schumacher said: "I would love to have her here to race with us. I don't know (if she could compete), there have been guys who have been able to do so and others who have not, but it would be interesting to find out."

But Briton Jenson Button believes her impressive recent results have been boosted by the way Indy Car racing is run, and believes the female racer will never make it into F1.

"It is really difficult to know how good someone is in that category because the driver's weight doesn't matter," said Button. "If you are 20kg lighter than another guy, you should be quicker."

3. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    But F1 drivers who cross the pond to race in the ChampCar/CART/IndyCar series were a mixed bag as well. Problem with F-1 is equipment is alittle more important. Aslo, don't forgot JV also came across to the F-1.

4. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Yea, right!

12 cylinders of nothing.

5. Westworld

Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Could Paul Tracy run in F-1? Why would Jeff Gordon be a F-1 driver?

6. Lusso5

Lusso5 Karting

May 2, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I doubt F1 will ever catch on in the U.S. People here like to see side-by-side paint scubbing racing, not a parade at the speed of light, with an occasional pass. Same reason Football rules over Futbol here in the U.S., and vice-versa.

Danica doesnt have a personality; something that makes a NASCAR driver marketable. F1 drivers are marketable when they win; she would fit better therem, but couldnt handle F1 IMO. The complexity of the tracks, and increased physical demands would keep her slow. Same reason most of the female fighter pilots had issues (or are dead). Dont mean to sound chauvinistic, but facts are facts.

7. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    They only way Danica will get a chance to drive in F1, is if she is good enough and she isn't. Again hasn't won a race since karting. Couldn't win in Dodge Pro Series(Rahal Team) and couldn't win in Atlantic series after two season(Again Team Rahal). She is only in Indy racing because of how much publicity she brings to the sport. As for Sarah Fisher a buddy of mine who is an instructor at Derek Daily, said she came out one time to drive and had a hard time shifting a car. So they had to start her in a corvette, which again she had problems. She did this while she was in the Indy racing league.

8. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Lol got me there.

9. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Paul Tracy tested a Benneton one year with non other than MS. He did pretty well actually, MS said he was fast, the only issue he had at the time was his weight.

10. cshargh

cshargh Karting

Apr 18, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Cyrus
    I don't know about that. Fittipaldi, Zanardi and Mansel came from F-1, as well as Whine Pablo (Technically). All were champions in ChampCar/CART/IndyCar. And you're right JV came across as well, and was the only recent person to become successful.

11. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I was also trying to thiink which ones went over to try...

Also let's not forget that Hill won a championship in a similar car to the one Villeneuve took his in, and even Coulthard was winning regularly.

And JV's not exactly covering himself in glory at the moment is he!

12. Westworld

Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Danica finished 13th tonight. ESPN still hypes her like like she Michael Schumi.

13. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "ESPN still hypes her like like she Michael Schumi."

That's an understatement. If you drank a shot every time they mentioned her name, you'd end up dead by the time the checkered flag falls. Why would she go to F1, when they're almost certain to call it the Patrick Racing League next season.

If you like Danica, you'll love Maryeve Dufault, now racing in pro formula mazda - a former Miss Hawaiian Tropic!

Maryeve Dufault in F1?

14. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    The G-forces in IRL are nothing close to that of Formula 1. Because they're continuously going around a big oval, sudden huge G-forces don't happen unless the drivers swerve suddenly (and at 230mph this will likely result in a spin), or have a crash (obviously). The cars are heavier and not as nimble nor powerful as Formula 1 cars.

In contrast, F1 circuits have a mix of every type of corner. Hairpins and chicanes where the drivers slow down from 300kmph+ to under 100kmph in around 100 meters (over 5G's of deceleration), and very fast, flatout corners like Maggots, Becketts, Bridge, 130R, etc, where lateral acceleration exceeds 3G's.

15. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

It's actually very close, plus with the longer corners while the G's may be a little less, it's sustained longer

16. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Great post! In May here in Indy, it came out she really wants a Ferrari 360. The girl knows cars!!

17. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    It is not going to happen!

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    No, not the same. Sudden G-forces is a lot different than sustained. Also, IRL cars rarely experience G forces pushing and pulling on the driver longitudinally, it's mostly side to side. 5G braking in F1 is what is the hardest on the drivers, I really doubt Danica could sustain that for 190 miles. The HANS device does help a little, but you still need a lot of neck muscle.

13th place and she is still getting news? WTF is up with that, give credit/coverage to those that deserve it.

+1 on Maryene Dufault, she's smoking hot! Don't know how she races, but I will try to keep updated.

19. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Not the same but still tough on you physically. If she keeps up 13th places she'll be old news real fast.

20. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I can't find much race info on Maryeve Dufault. Only thing I could find was a grid position of like 46 for a May 31st race (I think it was May 31st). Anyways, here's her website, she's hot http://www.maryeve.com/portfolio.html

21. jw6513

jw6513 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim Whitney
    OK.... so what we've learned from all of this ... is that Maryeve Dufault is hotter than both Danica and Michael...thank you.

22. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    With the amount of money she's bound to make she'll be able to afford any Ferrari she likes soon. Sad, considering she's never won a race, lol.

23. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    She's getting a test with BAR Honda next week.

24. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    where did you hear this? are you serious? So all i gotta do is lose the Indy 500 and i can get a test too?

25. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Absolutely pathetic. Couldn't believe it when I heard it, considering all the fuss. And she's not good-looking in the slightest, IMO. It was blindingly obvious the photos from the FHM shoot were heavily edited.

Based on her results alone, she should still be racing something like Formula Ford.