Ceramic paint for manifolds | FerrariChat

Ceramic paint for manifolds

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RF128706, Oct 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RF128706

RF128706 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    For anybody interested, I've found the ceramic paint I've been hearing about -- "TECH LINE" Cermakrome Exhaust Paint. Apply and bake @500F (260C)

I'm planning to do my 355 over the winter in an attempt to avoid the manifold crack problems.

2. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    We measured the wall thickness on my failed manifold - .030 to .045 - way too thin. No ceramic coat will fix this.

3. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    AFAIK the blown manifold problem generally occurs on the middle two cylinders/pipes on each bank. The pipes are just a tad too thin and they blow through eventually. Since all four pipes are encased inside a heat shield there is nothing you can spray on them that will help AFAIK.

If yours start to blow you will first notice a fine white dust around the engine bay - the wadding being blown out from the heat shield.

The only solution seems to be to replace. FWIW QV nr London in the UK get 355 manifolds rebuilt with slightly heavier guage pipes & sell them out at less than half of the price of a new one.

I.

4. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David