Clarksons Ford GT | FerrariChat

Clarksons Ford GT

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jonny5, Jun 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jonny5

Jonny5 Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    Just seen it on topgear - it's LHD?! Thought the 28 official cars were RHD? If they are LHD - why have they all waited all that extra time for a car which isn't supposed to sound as good as the US car with all the euro mods?

2. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    There are no RHD ones.

And it really, really beats me why anyone waited. Maybe something to do with warranty? Or perhaps just a bit of paper?

3. Stimmers360

Stimmers360 Guest

love the color combo though, looks great

4. phil612

phil612 Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    UK
    Bit concerned he was winging about the width of it, according to the data I've found it's slightly narrower than my 612 (delivery in a few weeks)... Does that mean I'm going to have problems on width restricted roads??? (gulp)

5. RF128706

RF128706 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    delay was caused because the car needed to be modified to meet Euro legislation.

Some of the mods were exhaust development for drive-by noise, position lights, turn signal indicators (e.g. american rear indicators flash the brake light which is obviously illegal in Europe), headlamp washers etc.

6. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I think the width restriction on Hammersmith Bridge is 7ft. Which I reckon is 84in.

You'll have 3in to spare on either side, which isn't much if you get it slightly askew...

7. Jonny5

Jonny5 Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    I didn't really like the colour - prefer red/white

8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Homemark may correct me and I've yet to watch the programme but I'm pretty sure none of the official european cars apart from one for Ford UK's collection have been delivered - in fact I don't think any customer cars have even been received for conversion

9. Kieron

Kieron Karting

May 3, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Kieron
    This is Clarkson though.... and the BBC.... and Top Gear for which he has given Ford 2 years worth of glowing reviews so he could get one....

There's more of the story in Saturday's SUN newspaper in Clarkson's column...

10. ScarletPimpernel

May 19, 2005
    The Back of Beyond
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Regarding the availability of Euro spec cars I think you will find there have been some here for a while. Loughran's at Preston have had a red/white one on their site for the best part of this year. They were asking just short of £200k but I see it is about £175k now.

With regard to JC's whine about width, perhaps he's started getting it in the neck that he has to take up two parking spaces at Tesco just to open the doors to get in & out. Must be frustrating when the local 'dillon' parks his tarted Corsa next to it & he can't get in.

SP

11. ferrarimadbloke

ferrarimadbloke Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Porthcawl S.Wales
    Full Name:
    Leyton Thomas
    Mmmmmmmm "Top Gear" a program full of To**ers, doing CRAP things to CRAP cars.

12. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    I gotta say, this weeks Top Gear was bloody annoying. Starting to get on my t!ts, i mean, guys promoting their own cars on the show, and that little Hammond chap ponsing around Wales in a £120K car comparing it with a puppy - what's all that about - total bollox - waste of air time. They have completely lost touch with reality.

I know Clarkson's a funny chap, but bragging about being stuck on Hammersmith bridge in his GT40, just thought it was cheap. He needs to get back to bashing Vauxhall Vectras. Just tone down the bollox.

The pool stunt was funny though, especially asking for his cheque!

13. Bhagwan Phagash

Bhagwan Phagash Karting

Jun 13, 2005
    Hampshire UK
    Must admit, although Top Gear is compulsive viewing I agree with the criticisms below. Clarkson makes some good comments but these are overshadowed by the total crap that he spouts most of the time. The short bloke just sucks up to him - the only decent presenter is the James May who has a balanced view, not blinkered by 0-60 stats. His bit on the Maserati Bora was great.

14. reggie

reggie Guest

Haven't seen any of the new Top Gears, but i know the main man at our place has just had his red with white stripe Ford GT delivered, not sure when but he's been driving it to work for a couple of weeks, so im told !

15. boba

boba Karting

May 10, 2005
    Madchester ,U.K.
    Full Name:
    dodgy bob
    got to agree with you totally I prefer 5th Gear as the presenters do not have there heads stuck up their ar$es as in top gear...and that totty on the show she can shift my gear stick any time:)

16. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    Damon Hill's arrives on Wednesday, will be in Central London from around 6.30 I'm told (Red/White Stripe). The delays have been:

1. Exhaust: Emissions and noise vary by European country,
    2. Lights: In Germany apparently
    3. Miscellaneous safety issues differing by European country

lastly (and how wierd is this),

4. The stereo!!

jg

17. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Was the Macintosh radio only set up for US FM I wonder?

Makes a complete farce out of buying "official" cars.

When are you having a go jg?

18. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    No. The McIntosh in my GT worked fine in the UK.

The Euro cars are quieter (because of Germany).. The US car sound awesome.

They're not Euro spec cars, they're US cars personally imported + SVAd

No, there was a big recall on the GT in December (suspension control arms, fuel tank and propshaft/diff problems) Replacement parts for all the recalls were only recently released.

19. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Wait til Ford read the Top Gear magazine where he admits he bought the wrong car!

20. rubystone

rubystone Karting

Mar 11, 2005
    Earth
    I asked that very question at the recent IME lecture on the GT at Dunton. The guys in Dearborn totally played down the recall, saying that it was for minor mods!!!

IIRC the guys at Dunton were responsible for European homologation and had done a deal with the likes of the TUV on just what they had to do to homologate the car. The db limit for the exhaust for instance had a tolerance of as much as 10%. The major headache was reducing the db - achieved via valves.

21. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    LOL, yeah, so minor they put "DO NOT DRIVE, DO NOT DEMONSTRATE, DO NOT SELL" on all their documentation regarding the recall.

22. erdero

erdero Karting

May 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Eric
    i looove top gear and i was wondering if jeremy sold his sl55 for the gt. i know he sold his 355 to get the sl55, but does he still have the sl? thanks.