355 Gas Singing? | FerrariChat

355 Gas Singing?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by larrymz3, Jun 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. larrymz3

larrymz3 Karting

May 29, 2005
    Went for my first fill-up in my new 355 yesterday (yes, I'm still very much a newb).

While I was filling, I kept hearing a high pitched 'singing' sound. Every time I stopped filling, it would stop. It was actually fairly loud, and pretty melodic - like someone blowing across a bottle or something.

I thought it might just be the pump, so didn't think more of it. Later that day, I had to fill up again, and lo and behold, that same high pitched 'whistling, singing' type sound.

It appears that the neck of the gas tube resonates when fuel is being introduced! Is this normal? It is definitely not a problem (and in fact, is quite cool), but, I definitely not expecting it!

Larry

2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I don't have that.

The car is off while pumping, correct?

3. larrymz3

larrymz3 Karting

May 29, 2005
    Car is definitely off.

It is the sound of the gas going down the fuel neck. It is just a natural resonance. Nothing mechanical, etc.

It's pretty darn cool!

4. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    You might want to see what the techs have to say. I would want to make sure that there are no holes allowing air in to make that noise.

5. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    No singing here, but I do hear voices from my closet telling me to do bad things.

6. fazzaz1

fazzaz1 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Sam Scott
    My 98 does it. Slow the gas flow down and it will stop. No problem for me for 2 1/2 years.

7. larrymz3

larrymz3 Karting

May 29, 2005
    Yeah, thats what I thought.

There are no leaks or anything. It's a cool sound!