Gambling question: Did the 14 cars start the race? | FerrariChat

Gambling question: Did the 14 cars start the race?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by sixcarbs, Jun 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Did the 14 cars officially start the race or is the warm up lap not considered the start?

Thanks

2. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli

At the end of the race I heard a radio transmission to MS wherein it said that KR was awarded 8th, but shortly thereafter both Bob Varsha and the TV graphic said that all the Michelin-shod drivers were "not classified", so I assume that they don't get credit for starting the race.

IIRC, wasn't it a rule a few years ago that if a team's car or cars did not start the race that they faced a fine by the FIA?

3. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    the results said that the Michelin cars Did Not Classify, so i dont htink its a lap. Sorry.

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good question and probably no answer. It happened to Michael Schumacher once and was the reason why it wasn't quite clear when he did his 200th GP.

I heard the transmission as well (and was afraid Kimi would win a point out of this), but the result shows them as not classified. I bet it has something to do with a rule that says you have to do at least some percentage of the overall race to be classified. So in essence the race counts for all of them, they just didn't finish officially.

BTW: There was discussion to why the teams went on the grid and I believe the real reason was that this way they fulfilled their obligation to Bernie and showed up for the race. If you don't, you have to pay a penalty, but nobody wanted to admit that in front of the fans.

To me the most obvious thing is, that Mosley is insane and Bernie no longer in control. There were several viable options to resolve this in due time and they didn't. Fire both of them.

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    if u dont cross the line after the lights have lit up and gone out, you have not started.