Whats the deal with the f430 exhaust tips | FerrariChat

Whats the deal with the f430 exhaust tips

Discussion in '360/430' started by yellow 355, Jun 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yellow 355

yellow 355 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2005
    ocean city,nj
    Full Name:
    Ben Murphy
    Went to Algar this week to preview the 430 that had waiting for delivery. I was suprised at the ugly un polished raw beer can quality exhaust tips!!!! I think sombody at Ferrari has TUBI stock.....

2. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I was amazed/disapointed today after seeing the same thing at Continental and Lake Forest.

3. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    They do look ugly, but the sound is amazing :)

4. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    The sound is awsome, but the finish on the outside of the muffler and tips leaves something to be desired.

5. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    I believe the tips on the 430 are titanium like the Stradale 360, hence the dull finish. Not as pretty, but very lightweight.

6. yellow 355

Mar 25, 2005
    ocean city,nj
    Full Name:
    Ben Murphy
    They may have made them from Titanium for light weight but they look like some real cheap crap. Somtimes I wonder about Ferrari and the thinking or not thinking they do........

7. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I agree.
    Its not the color or finish that bothers me, its the appearance. It looks like a Borla exhaust for muscle car, with the doube-layer tip look.

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Performance over appearance.

Are you interested in driving and getting the most out of the car performance wise or are you the type that is concerned that the guy behind you at a traffic light thinks your tips look like used beer cans?

And those that have been around vintage Ferraris long enough probably know at least one story of a street sign being used as part of the body...

9. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    When was the last time you looked at a race car and thought to yourself, man that's a good looking exhaust. These cars are built to perform, the exhaust is a mechanically functionall part of the car and I personally respect the look of titanium. I would never describe the tips as beer cans, maybe dull in appearance, but does a 430 or any ferrari for that matter really need a shiny exhaust tip?

10. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    agree with the original poster; why not give chrome tips as with previous cars, this is NOT a race car...it is meant for the street! it should look good. No excuse for that IMO.

11. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    For no more than they show, give me chrome tips since the rest of the car is awsome.

12. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I disagree. Initially I felt the same way but now that I have had the car for one month, the exhaust blends nicely with the styling of the car. If there were stainless steel or chrome, they would be too shiny thereby detracting form the overall rear appearance of the car. The exhaust would just stick out too much. They are intended to be part of the aggressive look of the car and not after market ricer look.:)

13. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    I would imagine most people here have nice homes. Are all of the sinks in your house polished stainless steel, gold plated hinges on your doors, diamond studded door knobs. If you want a bling bling car buy a Bentley, or a Range Rover with 26's, or take your pick of H2's on Cribs. Ferraris are built for function and look great as a side effect, look at the Enzo. Also, I can't think of a Ferrari that has come with an ounce of chrome plating from the factory, at least modernly speaking. The 430's predasessors exhausts were polished stainless steel, titanium doesn't polish. Do you think Ferrari should make there exhaust system heavier so it can be polished?

14. yellow 355

Mar 25, 2005
    ocean city,nj
    Full Name:
    Ben Murphy
    So you guys want to wine about weight ok......Why not finish off the frickin tips in carbon fiber or some light weight materal.Guys Ferrari has got you drinking the cool aid again.....They offer carbon fiber everything on that car why not a well done lightweight tip!!!!!!!Sorry they fumbled on this one....The rear of that car is perfect then look down.

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Ti is light weight. CF would not survive the heat.

That's why engineers design these things and not stylists.

16. udalmia

udalmia Guest

i think the tips look fine, they sound good and thats all that matters

17. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    Carbon fibre won't stand up to the heat, I actually agree with you, it would look better but it won't work. I think the only solution for someone with your opinion on these tips is to buy a Tubi. It probably won't be long before Tubi has a 430 system and they will probably use stainless. So for the bargain price of a Tubi, you can have your bling bling shiny tips.

18. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    IMO, the sound is vulgar and loud.

Everybody thinks you come up with a tuned Mitsu Evo.

19. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord

I totally agree. It sounds horrible... just LOUD... bring on the Tubi.

20. GI Jnr

GI Jnr Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Bristol
    Full Name:
    Tuan Le
    Has anyone got a close up picture of the end tips?

I'm afraid 430's are still pretty rare in the UK for me to have a nose around...

Tuan

21. AHG

AHG Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #21 AHG, Jun 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. deeroff

deeroff Karting
    BANNED

Jan 19, 2004
    Any decent fabricator could make a set of polished tips if you really want them.

23. bripab007

bripab007 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
  24. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    That is actually a muffler. It has an insulated packing in it that keeps the heat from affecting the composite material. A fabricator is goin to have a hard time fabbing tips for this car, you cannot weld stainless to titanium.

25. vanny

vanny Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    buffalo ny
    Full Name:
    van molenberg
    had my f430 on the track the other day-everyone is entitled to an opinion-however i was told that the sound was great when passing and shifting than the other ferrari's-i love the tips-it gives it a race car look-if you want chrome buy and buick-just my opinion van