No Air Horns | FerrariChat

No Air Horns

Discussion in '308/328' started by walawdog, Jun 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. walawdog

walawdog Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2004
    Bluefield, WV
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I am replacing the airbox on my 1978 308 with individual aircleaners. Unfortunately, the airhorns will NOT fit under the filters. I remember some discussion regarding the need to have the correct height of airhorn to allow the carb to flow properly. Number one, is this true? What will happen if there are no horns on the carbs? Also, who is selling the short airhorns?

Thanks in advance for the info.

2. T-Yoro

T-Yoro Rookie

Apr 25, 2005
    Hillsborough, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ton Yoro
    You might want to check durable1 he's the one selling those "shorty" airhorns.
    www.durable1.com

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #3 thecarreaper, Jun 21, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

unless your airhorns have been changed, they will fit . i installed them on my 78GTS and my 77GTB, the 74 Dino has the wierd -12 webers that wont take the regular air cleaners from Pierce. let me know if i can help you, perhaps you can post a pic.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    also, i added a k&n crank case vent on the vent tube. i originally made a tube and connected it to the white tube you see in the pic, but i found that the car was sucking the rubber section of the tube shut during high rpm's. will post a pic and part number today of the vent installed.

5. walawdog

walawdog Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2004
    Bluefield, WV
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    My airhorns don't fit because I am not using the same aircleaners you are. I have the more oblong shaped all foam rounded top aircleaners. I think I will need to go with the short stacks from Durable. But any thoughts on how the car will run with NO stacks?

6. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

ok, sorry, i thought you were using the same ones i am using. there are several threads on airhorns in the archives. i for one dont think its a good idea to run without them, and i have no real opinion on the Durable One horns based on the mixed reviews i have read here. Michael

7. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    I don't have any experience with running it w/o stacks, but my gut feeling is...I wouldn't do it. I believe the horns smooth the air flow as well as increase the air velocity (hence they are sometimes called velocity stacks).

On another note, I've heard the foam filters are not that good...more restrictive and less filtering.

Just my $0.02

Henry

8. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I agree, you want to run SOME air horns. The length of the intake tract is a tuning parameter, theoretically shortening it will increase the RPM at which the intake is most efficient, and that's been debated ad nauseum in other threads.
    There shouldn't be any debate that having the sharp edges of the carb throats responsible for straightening the flow rather than a rounded edge of an air horn will reduce flow.