355 Alarm/Battery Replacement help please! | FerrariChat

355 Alarm/Battery Replacement help please!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by larrymz3, Jun 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. larrymz3

larrymz3 Karting

May 29, 2005
    Getting ready to do the battery replacement on the 355 alarm in my '99 Berlinetta. I searched the archives and found some good info...but, I have a few more questions which I was unable to find answers to and which I would appreciate some clarification.

1) Is it possible to completely disable the alarm? I.e. make the vehicle NOT require depressing the disarm button every time I want to start the car? As far as I am concerned, I do not need it - the vehicle stays locked up, and in a locked, alarmed garage. When I go out with it, I always lock it, and do not leave it unattended for any length of time. Is it possible?

2) I had read there was some type of update to the alarm box to prevent the battery discharge problem from occuring again. Assuming I successfuly gain access to the alarm box (in the wheel wheel), crack it open, and replace the batteries, what can I do to prevent ever having to do this again?

Thanks alot for your help! I would really like #1, but, if it is not possible, then #2 would suffice.

Thanks!
    Larry

2. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    I don't know the politics here between these two website forums, so I applogize if I am stepping on anyones toes or offending anyone. Not aware of the appropriatness. Also appologize if this will get moderated out..so here goes anyways......

Here is someones experience in changing out the alarm battery that I found:

http://www**********/discus/messages/30/4554.html?1084288603

hope this helps

JD

edit..
    ok , looks like the website is automatically ***** out for some reason that I'm not aware of. In any case, put -talk (dash talk) after Ferrari in the section ****** out .
    Ferrari********.com/discus/messages/30/4554.html?1084288603

don't forget to put an http://www in front of the url

Just trying to help out the questioner, not get embroiled in any politics or promoting someon elses web forum, just trying to provide an answer.

3. larrymz3

larrymz3 Karting

May 29, 2005
    Thanks, but, I already had this same info (it was posted to fchat as well).

My preference would be to disable the requirement for the alarm completely, but, barring that, I would like to know what modification needs to be done to allow the proper charging of the batteries (and prevent having to do this battery swap again).

Larry

4. larrymz3

larrymz3 Karting

May 29, 2005
  5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I don't believe #2 solution exists. Battery replacement is the only option, other than what was in the post on the other site, which was cleaning of the various contacts and connections.

Replace the batteries, and you should be good for another 6 years....

6. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I have no idea, but I'd like to.

Seems the secondary bat. for the alarm is a closed system. Unless you hook up some leads I don't think there is a way to charge it. You might be able to tap the bat leads and connect them to a fused link to the main fuse box, but that would drain the main bat.

There is an ECU just for the alarm sys. according to the parts manual.

7. larrymz3

larrymz3 Karting

May 29, 2005
    Is it possible to completely disable the alarm? I.e. make the vehicle NOT require depressing the disarm button every time I want to start the car? As far as I am concerned, I do not need it - the vehicle stays locked up, and in a locked, alarmed garage. When I go out with it, I always lock it, and do not leave it unattended for any length of time. Is it possible?

8. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    HEY LARRY

CALL KEVIN CHUCK, HEAD TECH @ WWOC.. 845 425 2600

TELL HIM I SENT YA...IF HE DOESNT KNOW, NOBODY KNOWS..

GOOD LUCK,

BRUCE

9. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Larry, I understood. I just don't have the answer. I provided the ECU info thinking that is atleast a start of what might have to be removed to do what you want to do. It might take some investigative trial and error on your part to figure it out.

Post what you learn and if I find out anything I'll let you know............. good luck