AC Compressor rebuilder reccomendation? | FerrariChat

AC Compressor rebuilder reccomendation?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by carlrose, Jun 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Hi everyone,

Any reccomendations on whom to send my original 328 Aspera compressor to for rebuild? York 206 in there now, looking to refurbish original for concours purposes.

Thanks as always,

:) Carl
    [email protected]

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Carl -- Give your location please.

3. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Oops sorry on that one.

Compressor is in TX. I am in Mississippi for about 3 more weeks then moving to Rochester, Minnesota. Compressor can be brought to shop in TX or MN in person.

Thanks Mr. Magnussen,

4. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Buy a new York, paint it silver and put on the Ferrari clutch. You can't tell the differance. Swap the ID tags if you think it's necessary.

If you don't plan on using it then I suppose rebuilding would be an option, but it's really not worth the trouble. They always leak in the end.

One more thing, the Sandaan rotary is OEM on the European cars.

5. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    ...which is exactly what I did. But I hate to have it lying around "broken". And besides, I'm a Corvette guy...you know how we are!! (save us from ourselves?)

Anyone have good experience with a rebuilder? I'm guessing this wouldn't present a challenge for anyone who can rebuild Yorks. Since it only leaked, I thought about re-gasketting myself but don't have tools to test afterwards.

Thanks,

[email protected]

6. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Hmmm...recieved an email from AirCoParts.com, they can rebuild for $249. Anyone have positive/negative experience with them?

7. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    You can buy a brand new one from Steve Carr at Carr Auto in Houston for ~$300 (713-690-1800). Just paint it silver and swap out the clutch. He may even have the three pronged wrench like tool that you need to remove the pulley.

8. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    the hole in the center of the pulley is threaded. Wander down to the local hardware store and get the approriate bolt. Spin it in and the pulley slides right off. If you use an air wrench, it's effortless.