My First F-car! | FerrariChat

My First F-car!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by yellow wheels, Jun 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yellow wheels

yellow wheels Karting

Mar 17, 2005
    clarkston, MI
    Full Name:
    marc henretta
    #1 yellow wheels, Jun 22, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Guys, Over the last few months I've mostly been a silent observer of what's been posted and with the help of ALL of you, I've learned a lot. Without your help I would never be able to say I just bought my first Ferrari! I searched high and low and finally found the car for me: a
    1999 F355 F-1 GTS - Yellow/Black with less than 3,000 miles. The car is immaculate and I love it.
    I've always been a 5-speed/6-speed guy but 15-years ago I broke my back in a motocross crash and am now a paraplegic, which means I drive my car with hand controls, so the F-1 tranny was the only sensible way to go. The controls are quite simple and if you want to check out the car and the controls please take a look.
    If I'm driving with a friend, I put each wheel behind the seat backs and the frame of the chair fits nicely in the bonnet. If driving by myself I put the wheels behind the seat backs and the frame of the chair in the passenger seat. Both scenarios work very well.
    Guys, I can't thank you enough! BTW, I live in the Detroit area so if there are any other folks out there in the area, I'd like to hear from you.
    Thanks again. marc
    Special thanks to Charles P.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Wow Marc! That is by far one of the coolest posts I've ever read on FerrariChat! :) Congratulations on your gorgeous car!

Are the controls pretty standard, off the shelf items, or did you have them custom built?

3. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    That's awesome. Enjoy the car!

4. Titanboy_24

Titanboy_24 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas Scarfone
    Marc, you are a true Ferrari champion. I commend you for not letting your unfortunate situation hinder you from F-car ownership. Congrats, you are a insperation to many!

5. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    What a wonderful post, and great way to introduce yourself. A perfect example of somebody who did not let their disability get in the way of their passion. Way to go!!!

6. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Enjoy yourself!

7. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I love your tag.....way to go! Have fun and dont look back.

8. SPHFerrari

SPHFerrari Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2004
    Mass
    Full Name:
    Spenser
    that is awesome, really made me smile. congratulations and have a blast man!

9. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Awesome, man...Congrats on the Ferrari. One of the coolest posts I have seen.:):):)

10. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Talk about wanting to live your dreams. What an inspiration....WTG!!! Enjoy your F-car.

11. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    A million congratulations! You are an inspiration.

12. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Marc,

Congrats on the new car, it looks sweet. Is this the same car you were looking at before? BTW- My family is in the Pine Knob Golf Course area........sm. world.

Have fun driving and if you have questions this is a good place to ask.

13. weimar97

weimar97 Karting

May 21, 2004
    Congrats!

and Thanks! for not giving up! Go get 'em!!

14. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    That car is beautiful! I've already showed this post to 3 people I know because I am so impressed by your take on life. Your an inspiration to a lot of us. Drive the wheels off of it and don't look back!

15. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Congratulations! Enjoy the drive and thanks for sharing with us. It is great to have you here.

16. SMC

SMC Rookie

Nov 16, 2003
    Ditto on the congrats!

It's interesting for me to read your post, as I was just today showing a car to a woman (I work at a dealership) who is in a wheelchair and is learning to drive with hand controls. I enjoyed helping her with a car purchase and she really appreciates her freedom from relying on others for a ride.

But as I was done helping her, I thought to myself, how would I handle being in her situation? Would I still have my desire to drive exotic cars? Would that even be possible? It now feels like a very selfish thought, but nevertheless, I wondered. Well Marc, you certainly answered that question for me. Thank you.

Your post is very inspirational. Thank you very much for the honesty and God bless you.

17. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Very slick! I'm just amazed at little contraptions like that.

Congrats!

18. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    NICE looking car! Congrats on the purchase!

19. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Exactly what I was thinking....have fun with the car!!!

Love the license plate BTW!!!

20. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Congratulations! A worthwhile dream achieved.

I saw a Pantera also owned by a paraplegic, 5 speed ZF with a hand operated clutch assisted by a power brake booster that included a motorcycle type throttle grip with the hand brake on the opposite side of the wheel, all of his own design. The car won the award for best engineered at the show. Simply amazing what a person can do when determined.

21. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    Cheers !!!

22. pistole

pistole Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Malaysia
    by far , this is the most inspirational post I have ever seen.

congrats and enjoy!

23. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Congrat on your purchase. Your post is very inspirational.

You'll enjoy your F1, as I also have '99 F1 but GTB. In Detroit, this is the time to enjoy your car. You planned it very well, too!

24. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

OMFG ! I love that car. 355, yellow, targa. Outstanding!!! Drive it and enjoy it -- it just shows all of us that life is indeed a twisty road, and with determination & courage, we can achieve whatever we set our hearts to.

Kindly,
    Daniel

25. mnm

mnm Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Full props to you and your car. I love the 355 , and yellow is gorgeous.
    Enjoy in good health!